Tonight's Game & Wigan squad for Hull KR

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Wigan squad for Hull KR

Post by josie andrews »

EagleEyePie wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:10 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:28 pm The team numbers start at 17!!

That is a fecking disgrace & should not be allowed! 🤬

I really hope Leigh shaft them!!!
I don't see what the issue is. Was it a disgrace when we did the same thing against Hull KR in August last year?
When we played that game against HKR 29.08.22, we had 12 first team players in the the squad & we had just played St Helens & beat them convincingly on the Friday 26.08.22 & this fixture was on the Monday Bank Holiday, it wasn’t the week before any final!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Re: Tonight's Game & Wigan squad for Hull KR

Post by Barney841 »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:10 pm Cust off with a shoulder injury.

O Neil Back on
Think that’s definitely sealed Cust’s fate, even I think he was already going.
Can’t keep fit, he’s always wrapped up like a mummy
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

medlocke wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:01 pm Good win, no doubt it will quiet tonight
Don’t think it would have been quiet if Wigan hadn’t won convincingly.
We did a very good job though, Miski with another 4 tries. He’s turned into a try scoring machine
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 7:18 am

I don't see what the issue is. Was it a disgrace when we did the same thing against Hull KR in August last year?
When we played that game against HKR 29.08.22, we had 12 first team players in the the squad & we had just played St Helens & beat them convincingly on the Friday 26.08.22 & this fixture was on the Monday Bank Holiday, it wasn’t the week before any final!
It was still a game where only 3 of our first choice 17 played because we rested most of the team. Rovers had 4 of their first choice 17 on the field last night. It doesn't matter when it happens, teams rest players when they think it's beneficial and they can get away with it. We decided we could get away with it last year. Hull KR have decided they could do it last night. We might decide to do it later this month depending on how results go. Going further back we made huge changes when we played Hull FC the week after we won the Challenge Cup final against them in 2013 (I think Hull FC did the same).

I do agree it shouldn't be allowed, but it's not disgraceful to play within the rules when rules have been altered over the years to allow it. Loads of teams have done it. To single out Hull KR for this occasion just seems unfair.

If it were up to me there would be a minimum number of a clubs top 25 salary capped players required to play in each game (except if injuries prevent it) as that could allow for squad rotation and resting players (essential given they play too many games) while ensuring the game is still competitive, as weakened teams can affect the competitive balance of the competition.

I don't think it will have done any favours for Hull KR anyway. Having a week off before a big game isn't a significant benefit in my opinion. In fact I think the 2 week gap between Catalans and the Leeds playoff game last season really affected us.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Why do you care so much?

It’s within the rules, it’s the week before one of the biggest games in their history.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Good to see we can scrape a win when it's needed :lol: :lol:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 9:29 am

Why do you care so much?

It’s within the rules, it’s the week before one of the biggest games in their history.
Because I care about RL! Is that okay? Sometimes your replies or questions are very abrasive!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:41 am
DaveO wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:26 pm Miski in again after a French break. French should have passed to Field who would have gone in under the sticks but went for glory and ended up having to pass to Miski out wide. Kick missed.
Went deliberately for Miski! Trying to get him high try’s score
Really? I watched the highlights back on wiganTV and you can see Field is thinking WTF? And he nearly blew it as he had to make a ridiculous pass to get the ball to Miski.

Personally I think that was a stupid play. French was in the middle of the pitch and ran to the right corner and as I said nearly blew it as a result.

If that was the plan no one told King when he scored when he could have easily passed to him to give Miski another.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

DaveO wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:26 pm Miski in again after a French break. French should have passed to Field who would have gone in under the sticks but went for glory and ended up having to pass to Miski out wide. Kick missed.
Disagree, 23 was coming across to cover Field. French did the right thing.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The Pearl1 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:47 am
Disagree, 23 was coming across to cover Field. French did the right thing.
There was no one in front of Field and he’d have scored easily. I doubt French knew someone was behind him and two his left was there anyway. He must have run 40m diagonally and was nearly forced out into touch.