Re-branding of the DW

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Re-branding of the DW

Post by Charriots Offiah »

southportcdm wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:38 pm I'm sure Mr Danson can sell the naming rights to the stadium, it would be such a waste not to. How about this for a novel idea though - why not go for a big money (i.e bigger than normally found in Super League) sponsor of both teams? I don't think anybody else has done this but why not? Could even be a big company with a presence in Wigan like Heinz. If it worked it would also help to calm animosity between the two sets of fans.
With his connections anything is possible.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:27 pm Regardless of who owns Wigan Athletic, Wigan Warriors or both, to me, the reality is it still feels like Wigan Warriors playing at Wigan Athletic.

The motivation behind it is very laudable, but how much substance does a new poster hold in increasing diversity?

Suppose its a very individual thought process, but everything on matchday feels likes it Wigan Athletic, the article itself outlines the changes are in time for the new EFL season, presumably to try and retain and attract new fans for Athletic as they are now on a points reduction in League One.
Hopefully the concourse areas will be upgraded for next season with more Warriors posters etc., so it begins to feel like a joint club.
Need a Warriors statue to overshadow that DW atrocity, as well.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

As much as the Hienz stadium sounds funny, it is a big company that has a massive site in Wigan, so it would make sense.

As long as it's not a betting company/ vaping company/ Alcohol company.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I fully expect vaping sponsoring in sport to be clamped down on in the near future, as happened with tobacco. Booze and gambling are bad enough.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Hopefully part of the plan is to give the whole stadium a spruce up and get new seating it. It looks a bit of a mess in parts.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Is Whelans statue going or has it already moved?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:11 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 2:03 pm Yes, seen it at the stadium 😊 let’s hope the few idiots from both teams start to accept it’s a two club town!
Times they are a changing. It wouldn’t be possible if Mike Danson didn’t own the lot. Many said that there would be no changes until he officially acquired Wigan Warriors, clearly he already does.
Done more in 3 week that Mon than has happened in years good to see.

I can't ever forgive athletic for taking my hometown place the football league back 77 but I'll let it lie for now.
Raging Penguin

Post by Raging Penguin »

a rugby orientated statue is a good idea, but what imagery would be chosen for it? seems a lot of potential
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:45 pm As much as the Hienz stadium sounds funny, it is a big company that has a massive site in Wigan, so it would make sense.

Heinz Field was the Pittsburgh Steelers stadium for years and years.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

The Pearl1 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:38 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:45 pm As much as the Hienz stadium sounds funny, it is a big company that has a massive site in Wigan, so it would make sense.

Heinz Field was the Pittsburgh Steelers stadium for years and years.
I hope we can attract that level of sponsorship 😀