Re-branding of the DW

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrAlex

Re: Re-branding of the DW

Post by MrAlex »

No stadium deal this season....The Wigan Stadium apparently when ownership changes hands on 1st December.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

I still prefer Joe Mills rebranding:
The Pie Dome.
:D :D
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I know it’s a bit of a tangent, but do we have 2 unused marquee spots (out of 3)? If so, given his effectively infinite wealth, I would be filling them in time for 24.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:44 am I know it’s a bit of a tangent, but do we have 2 unused marquee spots (out of 3)? If so, given his effectively infinite wealth, I would be filling them in time for 24.
i dont think anyone factually knows, albeit, there are 3 places available from next season, with benefits in terms of cap hit for home grown (club trained) (£50k), federation trained (£100k) and non-fed (£150k), and thats why there is lots of talk about King back to Wire, as he could only cost them £50k on the cap, if they declare him as marquee

There are all sorts of things to think about with the cap and i used an example recently with French, Field and Farrell as examples, and how naming the top 2 highest earners, doesnt necessarily benefit i.e. Farrell cost less on the cap if declared marquee v the other 2

So for next season, there is opportunity to have £300k of cap, that is paid out significantly more in salary (or not, may only be £300k), but Wigan will most likely make use of the club trained (could be any player over £50k that benefits us i.e. Farrell), and then any player we signed (i.e. Wardle could be declared as £100k if he earns more) and an overseas (non-fed trained, ie French or Field could be declared as £150k, again, if they earn more than £150k)

so, despite us having a new owner with wealth, doesnt necessarily mean we can just go out and buy players and call them marquee, as we still need to meet the salary cap limits
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:44 am I know it’s a bit of a tangent, but do we have 2 unused marquee spots (out of 3)? If so, given his effectively infinite wealth, I would be filling them in time for 24.
The wife is good at spending my money as well 😀
bertina

Post by bertina »

medlocke wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:07 pm Is Whelans statue going or has it already moved?
Sooner the better !!
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

bertina wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:30 am
medlocke wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:07 pm Is Whelans statue going or has it already moved?
Sooner the better !!
WHY? What's he done wrong.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:45 pm
Sooner the better !!
Why was it put there in the first place, nothing more than a vanity piece, he has naff all to do with stadium or either club anymore and soon the stadium will be renamed, dismantle the awful thing, you could probably get £15 for scrap, erect two new statues either side of the entrance, one depicting the Warriors success and the other one depicting the Latics recent success, something for both sets of fans
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

medlocke wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:52 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 1:45 pm
Sooner the better !!
Why was it put there in the first place, nothing more than a vanity piece, he has naff all to do with stadium or either club anymore and soon the stadium will be renamed, dismantle the awful thing, you could probably get £15 for scrap, erect two new statues either side of the entrance, one depicting the Warriors success and the other one depicting the Latics recent success, something for both sets of fans
Exactly just a vain man basking in others glory albeit short lived which for makes it even worse if he had presided over a period of success I could perhaps,just perhaps understand it
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Sounds like a great chance for a poll on what statue.We got billy b in the centre of town, so maybe hanley, bell, gregory, edwards( yes i know he didnt coach us)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE