Cas Coach Appointment

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
the pieman

Re: Cas Coach Appointment

Post by the pieman »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:51 pm https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/3 ... gers-coach

I like Danny Ward but I hope he takes them down a division.
was going to post something similar. Came across well and played a good brand of rugby when he was at London, unfortunately he's now at Cas and yes they can go down. Never met such a bitter, ignorant set of fans and a proper dump of a ground
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

the pieman wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:15 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:51 pm https://www.superleague.co.uk/article/3 ... gers-coach

I like Danny Ward but I hope he takes them down a division.
was going to post something similar. Came across well and played a good brand of rugby when he was at London, unfortunately he's now at Cas and yes they can go down. Never met such a bitter, ignorant set of fans and a proper dump of a ground
No fans are ever perfect mate so I just ignore the Cas fans they are what they are what I can't forgive is that shithole and I'm sorry but there's no other description for that dump,that they play at it is shameful as a sport in this supposed modern era fans are expected to pay money to attend games there
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Jobs for the boys
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Not like me to disagree, but . . .

trying to resurrect a team in places like Huddersfield and Wakefield just doesn't seem to work. There may be grandparents who remember Neil Fox and Ian Brooke, but the next generations have lost the habot. Good luck to the chairman at Wakey who has put a lot of effort in, but I can't see them ever getting significant support in the town (actually city), despite its population - just like Huddersfield are struggling to attract decent numbers.

In contrast, Cas is a much smaller place but is steeped in Rugby League. Whatever the ins and outs of the debacle over new grounds and planning permission, the folk of Cas deserve a decent team to follow in reward for their commitment to the club and the game.

There are very few places in this country where RL is arguably the number 1 sport: Wigan, St Helens, Warrington, Leigh, Hull, and Castleford would be on my list.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:41 pm Not like me to disagree, but . . .

trying to resurrect a team in places like Huddersfield and Wakefield just doesn't seem to work. There may be grandparents who remember Neil Fox and Ian Brooke, but the next generations have lost the habot. Good luck to the chairman at Wakey who has put a lot of effort in, but I can't see them ever getting significant support in the town (actually city), despite its population - just like Huddersfield are struggling to attract decent numbers.

In contrast, Cas is a much smaller place but is steeped in Rugby League. Whatever the ins and outs of the debacle over new grounds and planning permission, the folk of Cas deserve a decent team to follow in reward for their commitment to the club and the game.

There are very few places in this country where RL is arguably the number 1 sport: Wigan, St Helens, Warrington, Leigh, Hull, and Castleford would be on my list.
i commented on a tweet by someone calling for Bradford to be in SL again, as they are exactly what the game needs etc, so obviously i questioned it on commercial stability / ground etc, but they responded with some people just dont get it, Bradford would be one of the 1st names on a franchise list if it was starting from scratch. I sort of get where they were coming from but equally, you cant just forget the last 10-15 years of decline, low crowds, adminstration etc etc, and just say Bradford would be a success, and certainly not with its current adminstration with the controller at the helm :)

whilst i was looking at that i then looked at the catchment and Wakey has a population of almost 350k, Cas 45k, Fev 15k and Bradford 540k. So fair to say Cas punch above their weight in terms of attendance v population

i get where you are coming from with Cas, they are a rugby town, but in the grand scale of things, if the game is to grow (i know this has been debated umpteen times), we need a bit more than Cas or Fev. I dont think Bradford should be in SL, unless they earn the right on the pitch, but as importantly get things right off the pitch, we cant continue with the car crash that it has been for so long. Then you look at commercial / TV, would a TV company be more interested with say York, London (i know) or other big city names or Cas / Fev etc
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Personally, I don’t see how it could happen, but under IMG, should the dreaded word ‘merger’ be once again discussed?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:41 pm Not like me to disagree, but . . .

Millom :D
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

the pieman wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:33 am

i commented on a tweet by someone calling for Bradford to be in SL again, as they are exactly what the game needs etc, so obviously i questioned it on commercial stability / ground etc, but they responded with some people just dont get it, Bradford would be one of the 1st names on a franchise list if it was starting from scratch. I sort of get where they were coming from but equally, you cant just forget the last 10-15 years of decline, low crowds, adminstration etc etc, and just say Bradford would be a success, and certainly not with its current adminstration with the controller at the helm :)

whilst i was looking at that i then looked at the catchment and Wakey has a population of almost 350k, Cas 45k, Fev 15k and Bradford 540k. So fair to say Cas punch above their weight in terms of attendance v population

i get where you are coming from with Cas, they are a rugby town, but in the grand scale of things, if the game is to grow (i know this has been debated umpteen times), we need a bit more than Cas or Fev. I dont think Bradford should be in SL, unless they earn the right on the pitch, but as importantly get things right off the pitch, we cant continue with the car crash that it has been for so long. Then you look at commercial / TV, would a TV company be more interested with say York, London (i know) or other big city names or Cas / Fev etc
I think Bradford could be a successful franchise if a rich benefactor came along. The potential supporters are still there. For Huddersfield, it's 3 generations too late.

Btw, the population figures you quote are deceptive - Wakefield includes Cas and Fev as it's a Metropolitan Council district or whatever. A bit like Wigan's population including Leigh. The city of Wakefield is a lot smaller than 350k.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:35 pm
the pieman wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:33 am

I think Bradford could be a successful franchise if a rich benefactor came along. The potential supporters are still there. For Huddersfield, it's 3 generations too late.

Btw, the population figures you quote are deceptive - Wakefield includes Cas and Fev as it's a Metropolitan Council district or whatever. A bit like Wigan's population including Leigh. The city of Wakefield is a lot smaller than 350k.
i know i have been real negative about Bradford on here previously and on social media, but its more arguing against the Bradford "should be" in SL type arguement. As i put above, if they earn the right, i've no problems, and they have shown they can attract good crowds etc, but they are a long, long way from that club that was successful 20 years ago

re population, i just quickly googled, and i also looked at Calder (merger thoughts), but that included virtually all of West Yorkshire, so scrapped that thought before i'd even muttered it :) :)
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The ground is rubbish now & needs the crater filling in & rebuilding a decent stadium IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan