Challenge Cup 2023

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Challenge Cup 2023

Post by Mike »

Was a fun game IMO. HKR made a bunch of mistakes but both sides had the potential to make breaks which made it entertaining. Golden point seems a bit unfair in a final IMO. I reckon we should do 2 5 min halves, then Golden point. A drop goal could still win it, but may e the other side equalizes.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
craigo

Post by craigo »

Drop the well done Leigh fellow Wigan fans. Their lot cannot stand us. Somebody I spoke to yesterday nailed it for me, The person said, They should have changed their name to, Derek s Leopards. All so cringey. Yes they won the cup 2023. Can never take that away. I will bet it won't be the first of many for them. In fact, I don't think they will be in Super League in a few seasons time.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

pedro wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 2:44 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:44 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:43 pm Picked up my new car so missed the final glad Leigh won why anyone would want a KR win is baffling,Lammy has Leigh playing good rugby but what little I've seen the stadium looked empty
Apparently, according to the commentators, there were 20,000 fans stuck on the motorways for some reason!! Where the 20,000 fans came from only God & Dave Woods know 🤔🤔
crash outside Luton which some poor Hull KR fan sadly passed away in, stopped fans from both clubs getting there
So very sad. Condolences to the family & friends 💔
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

craigo wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:10 pm Drop the well done Leigh fellow Wigan fans. Their lot cannot stand us. Somebody I spoke to yesterday nailed it for me, The person said, They should have changed their name to, Derek s Leopards. All so cringey. Yes they won the cup 2023. Can never take that away. I will bet it won't be the first of many for them. In fact, I don't think they will be in Super League in a few seasons time.
Can’t see them not being in SL in a few seasons as so long as he keeps bankrolling them they will easily make the IMG criteria and I am not sure how many clubs outside of SL would score as well as they will on those criteria.

As to dropping the well done Leigh, I completely agree. I wanted them to lose for two reasons. Firstly they are local rivals while HKR are not. I drove past Leigh Sports village today on my way to visit my Auntie and they already have a big bloody sign up outside the entrance road saying “Challenge Cup Winners”. No Wigan fan should be saying well done for that.

The second reason is the last person on the pitch to deserve a winners medal was the treacherous Hardaker.

I have seen Wigan fans post they were glad HKR lost because they don’t like Lewis but if anyone wants a team to lose due to taking exception to a particular player it’s any team Hardaker is playing for you should want to lose.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on who they want to win or lose a game & even who they want to compliment on the win.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Quick Google of DBs net worth says 2million. I don't see that being enough to sustain a club like Leigh long term if they're going to be making a loss year upon year
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:12 pm Quick Google of DBs net worth says 2million. I don't see that being enough to sustain a club like Leigh long term if they're going to be making a loss year upon year
Really
https://companycheck.co.uk/director/908 ... financials
craigo

Post by craigo »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:12 pm Quick Google of DBs net worth says 2million. I don't see that being enough to sustain a club like Leigh long term if they're going to be making a loss year upon year
On top of that Blackpool Pie, There is every chance Derek will have a little outburst and walk. He has done that before.
Josie, You are right. I should not have said don't congratulate Leigh to my fellow fans. It's their choice whether they do or not. Clearly everyone knows my opinion.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Well done Leigh, glad they won, great for Rugby League and especially the North West.

Hope they can continue to build and become a force in Super League.

The better the clubs get and more money pumped into super league the better.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

Well done to Leigh.

Deserved the win - played better for the majority of the game but credit to KR for sticking in there and dragging it back.

It has to be better for Wigan that we have strong local teams: increased crowds, more local rivalry all adds to the interest around the town and money through gate receipts for the club.

Pleased for some of the ex wigan players too and Lam who I think got dealt quite a rough hand with long term injuries to Bevan and Jai and playing through covid. Can't have been an easy time, and although we played some awfully dull rugby he's shown with Leigh that he can coach a very entertaining (and winning) team.

I also think that in a final there should be an opportunity to come back from a DG - 5 mins per half seems a good compromise then GP.