Recruitment 2024

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Recruitment 2024

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

King is nailed on, isn’t he? He is not our player next year.
Mago, Thornley, Hampshire and Cust have not had their contracts renewed (yet), so it is fair to include them in the out’s.
The only under contract player on that list is Powell, and it looks very much like his days are numbered.
craigo

Post by craigo »

There will be more business in the coming months. But so far, I am feeling really excited about next season. A lot more than previous years.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I was quite optimistic at the start of this season, and we're not done yet! :D
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I think we're looking fairly strong for next year but there's a noticeable lack of depth at second row with Isa out of contract and Pearce-Paul leaving.

We've seen from games this year that Smithies isn't as effective when playing there (and should be nailed on first choice at 13 anyway) and Shorrocks is at best a stand-in because he doesn't have the size to be an effective attacking threat there. We've seen enough from him to know that he's a 13 too.

Some have said that Walters will play back row but I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense. If he was better at second row I don't think Leeds would have moved him to prop for the last couple of years. He seems like an obvious option if we need cover but we need a recognised second row.

Our only out and out back rowers are Farrell and Nsemba. The problem with Nsemba is he hasn't played a full game in Super League this year. He gets 10 minutes most games and he's not really been tested by having to play a full 80, which these days your back row should be able to do. We know he's a bit rough around the edges and that would make it a big risk to go into next year expecting him to be first choice.

I think that's the biggest hole in the squad right now. At our best we've always had a back row that's as good as, or often better than, any other team in the league. Bring in a good back row that we could get 80 minutes out of and there's less of a need to move players around to fill gaps and the team looks a lot stronger.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

EagleEyePie wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:11 am I think we're looking fairly strong for next year but there's a noticeable lack of depth at second row with Isa out of contract and Pearce-Paul leaving.

We've seen from games this year that Smithies isn't as effective when playing there (and should be nailed on first choice at 13 anyway) and Shorrocks is at best a stand-in because he doesn't have the size to be an effective attacking threat there. We've seen enough from him to know that he's a 13 too.

Some have said that Walters will play back row but I'm not sure that makes a lot of sense. If he was better at second row I don't think Leeds would have moved him to prop for the last couple of years. He seems like an obvious option if we need cover but we need a recognised second row.

Our only out and out back rowers are Farrell and Nsemba. The problem with Nsemba is he hasn't played a full game in Super League this year. He gets 10 minutes most games and he's not really been tested by having to play a full 80, which these days your back row should be able to do. We know he's a bit rough around the edges and that would make it a big risk to go into next year expecting him to be first choice.

I think that's the biggest hole in the squad right now. At our best we've always had a back row that's as good as, or often better than, any other team in the league. Bring in a good back row that we could get 80 minutes out of and there's less of a need to move players around to fill gaps and the team looks a lot stronger.
We definitely need a second row forward if we don’t extend Isa’s contract. Also, we need to consider what happens with Thornley and Hampshire if either, or both, leave then we need some utility cover.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I'm guessing kieghran could be that utility cover for halves and play centre? Cover for full back with both BEV and Jai able to slot in. Imagine the young lads will be used to cover the outside backs.
I'm still told at least two more to come in but I suppose that could change with squad/experience balance needed.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

EagleEyePie wrote: Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:11 am I think we're looking fairly strong for next year but there's a noticeable lack of depth at second row with Isa out of contract and Pearce-Paul leaving.

I'm told that Walters was seen as a second row who can play prop at Leeds - by the fans at least. Where he has actually played will be a reflection of where they've had the greatest need, I'd guess, rather than a statement re his best position.

KPP has played both prop and 2nd row, ditto Nsemba. Does their selection tell you their best position or where we had a gap to fill?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I originally saw Walters as another prop but now we have signed Dupree, Tiaki Chan, have Hill coming through and have Harvard, Byrne, Cooper and maybe even still have Mago that is six or seven props for 2024 so I can't see Walters playing anywhere but the second row.

That still leaves us a bit exposed to injury/suspensions though as even with Walters in the second row that just gives us Faz, Nsemba and Walters with Shorrocks as a back up (not that he's that good there as other have pointed out)
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:09 am I originally saw Walters as another prop but now we have signed Dupree, Tiaki Chan, have Hill coming through and have Harvard, Byrne, Cooper and maybe even still have Mago that is six or seven props for 2024 so I can't see Walters playing anywhere but the second row.

That still leaves us a bit exposed to injury/suspensions though as even with Walters in the second row that just gives us Faz, Nsemba and Walters with Shorrocks as a back up (not that he's that good there as other have pointed out)
Ellis as well. I don’t think Mago will be at Wigan next season and I am confident that there will be more signings.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:18 am
DaveO wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:09 am I originally saw Walters as another prop but now we have signed Dupree, Tiaki Chan, have Hill coming through and have Harvard, Byrne, Cooper and maybe even still have Mago that is six or seven props for 2024 so I can't see Walters playing anywhere but the second row.

Ellis as well. I don’t think Mago will be at Wigan next season and I am confident that there will be more signings.
Yes i reckon 2 new signings.A second rower and a stand off/ utility back/centre replacing cust and mago.Not sure whether we will keep hampshire and thornley on
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE