Tonight's Match - Wigan squad for Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EagleEyePie

Re: Tonight's Match - Wigan squad for Hull FC

Post by EagleEyePie »

That was a terrible game to watch. I had a feeling it was going to go to golden point just because I think everyone in the ground just wanted to be over so of course the universe in it's wisdom decides to stretch the game out for as long as possible.

The first 20 minutes was absolutely horrendous. I can't honestly fathom what the game plan actually was because you could probably see a more structured and measured performance from primary school kids. Maybe we thought we could put points on the board early before the weather turned but maybe I'm just being kind trying to find any rhyme or reason to what happened.

Utterly dreadful and I'd love to say it was the players just getting a bit ahead of themselves but we've seen it so much this season I actually think this is how the coaching staff want us to play. We didn't struggle down the middle, we actually made some good ground and good territory but completely threw it away time and time again. There was a point where we had dominated territory yet barely made their defence work because our defence would contain them quite well only for the attack to be wild and reckless.

I sort of see the similarities with the way Brisbane play in the NRL - they don't really do building pressure and getting repeat sets, they play more high risk and try to use every set as a scoring opportunity. They have Briers as attack coach, the link is obvious, but we certainly are not Brisbane and when it's pouring with rain and we're making a few errors surely it's just common sense to make use of good territory and play a low risk game by trying to contain the opposition in their own 20 and gaining repeat sets rather than trying to score every set (or every play!). They even used to call it wet weather rugby!
craigo

Post by craigo »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:23 pm I had to work unfortunately and listened it on radio humberside.allan hunte was so biased it was comical.Im presuming it was him as it never said his name but his voice is so recognisable
He goes on forever as well as being biased. You should have listened on Wigan Warriors live. Joe Mills and Bilko. Like I had to. They are biased, Obviously in that they are supporting Wigan. But they say what they see.
I have supported Wigan RL since the late 80s. First game was a cup tie v Barrow. Also a fan of football and Speedway. Have a varied taste in music.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

That was a bloody terrible game apart from the result hells teeth what a shocker a ref who at times looked like he was loosing control a team clueless in attack and defence and that applied to both teams.

Harry smith now I like the lad but his goal,kicking was closer to hitting me on the halfway line that go over the sticks till his Exocet at the end where the hell did that come from..dear me if Wigan rock up to Catalan next week they’ll be,rightly given a hiding,all of a sudden saints are breathing down the necks of Wigan so they simply can’t afford to lose but wow where is a performance going to come from?
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I agree that we did well in the forward battle; it was good to see Wigan pushing defenders back when they're taking it off their own goal-line, and forcing drop-outs and lost balls. Which other teams have been doing to us, and we should be doing more. I thought Nsemba did well, and seemed to do big minutes too. But the attack, yeah, it was poor. Things improved a bit in the second half when Field got his hands on the ball more, but we certainly didn't take enough advantage of possession in their red zone, and will need to be much better against les Cats.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

craigo wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:44 pm
Firestarter wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:23 pm I had to work unfortunately and listened it on radio humberside.allan hunte was so biased it was comical.Im presuming it was him as it never said his name but his voice is so recognisable
He goes on forever as well as being biased. You should have listened on Wigan Warriors live. Joe Mills and Bilko. Like I had to. They are biased, Obviously in that they are supporting Wigan. But they say what they see.
I usually do pal but couldnt get it for whatever reason.Yes they are biased but hunte( if it was him) was another level.He said at one point that only wigan get away with blatant forward passes the bent git
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

And as for the ref, I think I can safely say, his brother's better.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:23 pm
lucky 13 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:06 pm Before I turned up tonight I was wandering how we would go without Havard, Cooper and Ellis against what's not a bad set of forwards. I didn't think we did to bad in that department.
We do lack leadership or experience in the ball players and it shows. That was a game we could have lost very easily, it was a Wakefield away performance.
That first 5 minutes if Golden point summed us up we made an easy job difficult with lack of control and execution. I sat after the drop goal in disbelief it was easily the hardest kick of the night but only one we got think it summed the performance up.
Lack of experience throughout this whole team and it isn’t really getting any better next year.
Our experience comes in the form of Faz and Powell and, to be honest, neither are good enough on present form to make the team.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

moto748 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 12:20 am And as for the ref, I think I can safely say, his brother's better.
A blind man would be better.
Mass

Post by Mass »

Not a great performance but a wins a win. Don't seem to have a wet weather game i.e. Catalan at home, Hull at their place earlier in season.

Thought the forwards were good tonight. Byrne had his best game for a long time a new d Mago did big minutes and made good yards.

Agree Harry's kicking could cost us going forward but credit to him for the drop goal, certainly didn't see it coming.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Why do we spend time away camping and holidaying when our attack needs fine tuning