Clubs vote against key IMG recommendation rugby league supporters widely approved

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Clubs vote against key IMG recommendation rugby league supporters widely approved

Post by josie andrews »

It had been hoped the change would be made in time for 2024.

Loop fixtures are set to remain part of Super League next season, despite IMG's recommendation to get rid of them. Rugby League Live understands clubs voted to keep the competition's existing 27-game format next season.

When the sport's strategic consultants set out their recommendations last year, the removal of loop fixtures was one of the areas they cited. However, clubs are keen to ensure they still have 13 home league matches per season and with a further reduction on the new deal, as well as uncertainty regarding the revamped plans for the Challenge Cup, it has been decided to stick with the current format for another year before returning to the topic at a later date.

It is believed a 25-game format was tabled to clubs but with more work to be done on the Challenge Cup and the ongoing financial pressures clubs find themselves under, amid increasing time pressures as season ticket launches draw closer, it was decided that assessing the situation again when all changes could be implemented together was the desirable option.

Fans regularly bemoan loop fixtures, which see every team play four other clubs three times in a season, as opposed to their other rivals who they play twice. It is criticised for damaging the integrity of the competition and for making matches feel repetitive.

But it will allow further work to be done on the Challenge Cup and plans for a rehaul. It could yet have a different look to it next year though any changes are likely to be kept to a minimum given the Super League season will remain at the same capacity.

The season is still expected to start in February and end in October, as has been the case in recent years, and England will still play France in a mid-season international, most likely at the end of April. The rescheduling of the Challenge Cup - the final will take place on June 8th next year, will likely see a later date for Magic Weekend.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... e-27580092
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Clubs vote against key IMG recommendation rugby league supporters widely approved

Post by Mike »

Interesting. The clubs are taking a pick and choose approach to IMG. How long before IMG withdraw and this has all been a waste of time that went nowhere? Before the end of next season and promotion and relegation is re-instated? I'd give it a 50-50 chance!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Re: Clubs vote against key IMG recommendation rugby league supporters widely approved

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:16 pm Interesting. The clubs are taking a pick and choose approach to IMG. How long before IMG withdraw and this has all been a waste of time that went nowhere? Before the end of next season and promotion and relegation is re-instated? I'd give it a 50-50 chance!
To me IMG are offering nothing that we haven’t seen before so it’s no surprise they’re saying sod it we pick and choose what works truth is loop fixtures are needed for the clubs I don’t pay wages,electric and tax bills they all add up and if they want to keep people buying season tickets they’ve got to be seen as good value and back we come to loop fixtures..
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

It doesn't surprise me. When you consider clubs are going to see a reduction in TV rights money despite going from 2 games broadcast per week to all of them I think there's some common sense in protecting your income.

As much as fans say they don't like loop fixtures I don't think I've seen any evidence that there's a significant drop in attendances for those additional games, so there's seemingly still a benefit for clubs.

Then you have to consider the impact of every game being broadcast live. It's easier for fans to stay at home and watch rather than go to games and short term that could have an effect on attendances. Then there's the planning of when fixtures take place. If every game is televised that means clubs no longer determine when their fixtures are played. We know most clubs prefer Friday nights because they've surveyed fans and it's also much better for selling hospitality which is a big source of matchday revenue. Clubs could end up with weeks of Sunday evening games, and end up taking a financial hit as a result.

It's up to clubs to adapt of course, but I think there's a lot to assess financially when you take a cut price deal to broadcast everything you've got and take away autonomy from clubs to choose the best days to host fixtures. We're still very dependent on matchday revenue and the TV rights money is reduced. Given clubs are already selling season tickets for next year it's clearly not the right time to be changing how many games you get for your ticket when the days matches take place could change massively from what people are used to.