Tonight's Match/Wigan squad for Salford

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Tonight's Match/Wigan squad for Salford

Post by Firestarter »

Just watched it in work.Its wigan v salford v kendall.Hes gotta be the most inconsistent ref ive ever seen.Hes a joke and the french tackle and the tackle on smithies were just good tackles fullstop.Good win with great defence at times but our attack still seems a bit flat.Cant complain and i think we score if kendall wudda let the game flow instead of taking centre stage.Think he will get dropped now as surely everyone could see how many poor decisions the man made
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

The French tackle: legs went over the horizontal, and that's a pen every day of the week these days. BUT, I think they need to be able to draw a distinction between deliberately grabbing the legs and lifting them (dangerous), and throwing a ball-carrier onto his back, when the legs may fly up. The tackle on Smithies, the same, The tackle on French: as said, a lazy arm, and a yellow the right decision. I'm all for red cards being restricted to deliberate foul play with an intent to injure. This wasn't that. Fair play to French for not making a meal of it.
Last edited by moto748 on Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

What has happened to Kendall, started his career as a very good ref but now?

No policing of the play the ball at all for both sides, strange calls and none-calls, thats just for starters.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

He is the worst ref in SL, I think.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

DaveO wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:04 pm In the East Stand.
Likewise for us
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

widdenoldboy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:18 pm What has happened to Kendall, started his career as a very good ref but now?

No policing of the play the ball at all for both sides, strange calls and none-calls, thats just for starters.
Thought some of the officiating was poor tonight, knock ons when he said had gone back and ones he completely missed.
Thought I defence was good tonight, thought we scrambled really well when they made a break.
Attack was abit hit and miss though, overall I though I thought it was a decent performance.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Ref had a few funny calls - maybe lost a contact lens or something and don’t think the linesman bothered either!

Byrne fantastic tonight - really running in with pace and KPP put in a few big hits again, Mago revised form keeps going 👍

Couldn’t see how bad Wardle was clattered scoring his try but he was struggling a little in the 2nd half.

Also Jai’s try at half time was both hilarious and unexpected - loved it!
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

TBF, thought Salford kept competing if a bit scratchy at times and posed some problems.
Take this as a good win against troublesome opponents.
Some good performances - Mago looking like the player we thought we had bought, Byrne MotM, well why not :) ? Smithies ran some excellent lines, Smith great as usual.

On a lighter note the Sky Muppets called Miski as Abyss - love that - Salford where staring into the Abyss all night :)
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Just got back after a 1hr 30 minute drive due to the M6 being closed between J22 & J21. Normally takes about 50 minutes. :roll:

I thought Salford tried the best and a bit too hard at times but we got the tries when it mattered. The one on half time was funny but a good try non the less.

Why did he pull Field back about 15 minutes before the end? I thought he played advantage already?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Gerrumonside wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:21 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:04 pm In the East Stand.
Likewise for us
Me too 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan