Mago

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Re: Mago

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

I would like to see Paddy sign on for another year.
I do feel that there is an expectation of hitting the ground running but moving to a completely different country takes its toll and more time is needed for some. Is he still living here on his own without any family?
It does feel like he is playing in a settled team knowing he is getting more game time because of the injuries we have, and this appears to have given him more confidence.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:37 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:12 am
Barney841 wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:09 am He’s been a different player of late and a damn site more effective, as he should of been going off his size, and he could play himself into a contract extension
He won’t.
Is that "official"?
Nothing official but there’s rumours we have used Mago’s quota spot on another player.

Custs quota spot will go to Keighran

Also rumours Isa will go and his quota spot will be used on another forward too.

I’ve no idea just posting whats got said on the forums the last couple of months
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Jonathon Kerr (JK) wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 8:10 am I would like to see Paddy sign on for another year.
I do feel that there is an expectation of hitting the ground running but moving to a completely different country takes its toll and more time is needed for some. Is he still living here on his own without any family?
It does feel like he is playing in a settled team knowing he is getting more game time because of the injuries we have, and this appears to have given him more confidence.
I’d like him to stay as well. & I agree with what you are saying. He is as far as I know still on his own here & that can be a big hindrance to an overseas player IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
butchbulldog

Post by butchbulldog »

Going off his form over the last few weeks would be happy to see him stay if he keeps it up
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

I would 100% love him to stay, his form over the last six weeks or so has been a revolution, he now has that x factor when he comes on. He gives the whole atmosphere a lift both on and off the pitch, he's fast becoming my new fav.

Why would we want to replace him with a different overseas prop? we then have to hope that player hits the ground running, we already have a big impact player who has eventually grown "over time" into the player we are all searching for. Now that we have that player I don't want to lose him, although Chariots seems sure he will be leaving.

Keep him please, I for one would be very disappointed if he left, one year rolling contract to keep him on his toes would be perfect. He has to be be in our 17 next season
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

eaststandspy wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:46 pm

Why would we want to replace him with a different overseas prop? we then have to hope that player hits the ground running, we already have a big impact player who has eventually grown "over time" into the player we are all searching for.
Again I don’t know this but I assume it’s because the decision was made roughly 3 months.

Business has to be done way in advance normally about May time.

In his first 18 months as a Wigan player, he was unfit and liability in defence.

I would guess his upturn in form has been as a result of being told Wigan aren’t extending his contract and he’s a free agent next year.

He’s actually started trying now to secure a deal next year.

I don’t disagree with what you’re saying. Given his form I’d like a settled Mago for another year, just explaining why it’s unlikely.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Mago is playing well. Mago is after a new contract. Why should we assume/risk it that he will play this well when he isn’t playing for a new contract again?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:09 pm Mago is playing well. Mago is after a new contract. Why should we assume/risk it that he will play this well when he isn’t playing for a new contract again?
Could it not also be to do with getting fitter and being a bit older. He's also had to step up due to injuries something he hasn't had to.

Look at tomkins second stint took him 18 months to get to where he needed to be.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:12 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:09 pm Mago is playing well. Mago is after a new contract. Why should we assume/risk it that he will play this well when he isn’t playing for a new contract again?
Look at tomkins second stint took him 18 months to get to where he needed to be.
But Mago hasn't been out on the piss being a knobhead and doing damage to himself
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 6:12 pm
Could it not also be to do with getting fitter and being a bit older. He's also had to step up due to injuries something he hasn't had to.

Sometimes players take time to settle,even as you rightly say Tomkins as well I hope he gets another year I love seeing him take 3 or 4 players with him as he charges down the field it's good to see