Loans??

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Loans??

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Just read on the wigan site that after loosing both Logan and Harrison for substantial times that Milly is look for loans to beef up the forwards for the bulls match any ideas who he could be looking at?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Fraggle

Re: Loans??

Post by Fraggle »

Wigan_forever19 85 posted:
Just read on the wigan site that after loosing both Logan and Harrison for substantial times that Milly is look for loans to beef up the forwards for the bulls match any ideas who he could be looking at?
Interesting, and something that somewhat contradicts what he said after the game on Sunday: (from http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague ... uotes.html
Ian Millward said:
Millward also revealed he will not be bringing in any squad reinforcements for the sake of it, despite his side picking up two more injuries.

The Warriors are already without key forwards Gareth Hock and Iafeta Paleaaesina, as well as the recently-retired Kris Radlinski, and there is plenty of money available under the salary cap should the coach identify the right player.

But Millward added: "Is there anyone to bring in? The NRL has just started, just as Super League has started, and all the players are taken.

"That's the hard thing. But I'm not going to bring in someone just to verify the squad. I'd like to bring someone in, but I don't want to get someone on a two-year deal who might not be in our plans next year."
Although I suppose loans would be considered differently to permanent signings.

As for possible candidates, I wonder if Ricky Bibey's available at the moment....?
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

That is very short notice to get players into the squad on loan.

Dave
Fraggle

Post by Fraggle »

DaveO posted:

Dave
Although I suppose the fact they'll be playing like strangers to the rest of the team won't make them look any different to most of the rest of the squad...

They'd almost be better off picking a couple of random spectators to play, at least they'd be committed to the Wigan cause rather than playing for the money or whatever.
http://fraggle.fotopic.net

"You rescue me, you are my faith, my hope, my liberty.
And when there's darkness all around, you shine bright for me, you are a guiding light to me....
You are a Tower of Strength to me" - Wayne Hussey, The Mission.

Shepherd's Bush Empire - 27/Feb/08 - 1/Mar/08
[hr]
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

DaveO posted:

Dave
And how long for? Are we going to borrow players for 6 matches? Unlikely.

The obvious thing to do would have been to get scully back - however he's got a broken hand so that's gone.

We're full on the quota and I can't see any SL clubs wanting to help us out - especially those that we are likely to be fighting with to stay up.

So it's time to scour the NRL for unwanted Kolpak players either that or we hire the Rickey Bibey's of NL1

I think that we all know what will happen - the academy team will be used again - just like last season. We'll have to move Fletcher to prop and hope that Hock and Feka heal quickly.

The depressing thing is that we were being turned over with a full strength team - the players we have lost have been the better ones - Feka, Logan, Hanson.

Why couldn't Brown, higham and vaeliki got injured?

Oh yeah - because they don't do anything :angry:
"And Martin Offiah, trying to make some space, now then..." - Ray French, Wembley 1994
------------------------------------------------
Interviewer: So that obviously means that you're not going to St Helens and you're not going to Leeds?

Frano: I don't know why I would ever want to go to St Helens or Leeds
------------------------------------------------
Wigan_forever1985

It only says we are gonna call in loans for the Bradford match he doesn't say how long we would keep them for. As for calling back Scully i hear from a Castleford fan that there was no recall on his loan contract, this however if true im sure can be overcome however i also hear from a few Castleford fans he has a broken thumb and is out himself for a few weeks.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Leyther Pie

Post by Leyther Pie »

Leigh wont let Ricky Bibey go now coz he is their best forward. He spends more time on the pitch than he does off it. There are a couple of good forwards at leigh that would do the job for us in the short term. :sly:
I've never felt more like singing the Blues
When the Wiganers win and the Leythers lose.
Wigan_forever1985

Just to confirm the injury rumour this is on Castlefords website:

SCULTHORPE ONLY NEW INJURY CONCERN
Tigers prop Dany Sculthorpe will have a check today to discover the full extent of the hand injury suffered against his former team yesterday, but otherwise Terry Matterson reports no other injuries after his sides tremendous win over the Warriors
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Matthew posted:
DaveO posted:

Dave
And how long for? Are we going to borrow players for 6 matches? Unlikely.
I don't think that is a problem. Players have gone to sides on a months loan before I am sure. It is trying to get playes in less than a week that seems implausable to me.
We're full on the quota and I can't see any SL clubs wanting to help us out - especially those that we are likely to be fighting with to stay up.
It would most likely come from somewhere like Leeds who are always willing to give their fringe players some first team action at struggling SL sides like us :doz:
I think that we all know what will happen - the academy team will be used again - just like last season. We'll have to move Fletcher to prop and hope that Hock and Feka heal quickly.
I think you are right. It would not surprise me to see Millward write off certain games, such as the trip to Bradford by fieldinf an acadmeny side and concentrate on attempting to pick up points aginst the like of quins.

He is almost renowed for playing the percentages and I think he may do it again.

Dave
MrsLam

Post by MrsLam »

DaveO posted:

I think you are right. It would not surprise me to see Millward write off certain games, such as the trip to Bradford by fieldinf an acadmeny side and concentrate on attempting to pick up points aginst the like of quins.

Dave
Think that would be best anyway! More chance we'll pick up points with the younger lads anyway
:thum: Ancient and Loyal :thum:

2005 - Play for pride
2006 - Play!