Coaching

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
keptinthedarkfans

Re: Coaching

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

ddtftf wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:35 pm Bloody hell get a life 2nd in the league and some great signings for next year sick of moaners nothing ever good enough :x :x
Blimey kettle and frying pan come to mind.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

This was a good thread . :lol:
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Top spot so that with a bad coaching staff too :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

I started this thread, and I would be chuffed to be convinced by Peet and his team. I certainly can't be critical of results in recent games. Truth is, we've won nothing yet, and the crunch games will tell us what we need to know. I genuinely hope he does convince me about his coaching prowess...
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Shevvylad wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:35 am I started this thread, and I would be chuffed to be convinced by Peet and his team. I certainly can't be critical of results in recent games. Truth is, we've won nothing yet, and the crunch games will tell us what we need to know. I genuinely hope he does convince me about his coaching prowess...
We won the cup last year,so I assume you are referring to this season, or maybe just the GF?

Is a coach to be judged on trophies won after less than 2 seasons in the job? Taking over a squad, it takes time for a coach to shape them - partly through coaching and partly by replacing some players.

My judgement of Matty and his coaching team is based on the direction of travel since he took over. I'd give them 9 out of 10.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:55 pm
Shevvylad wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:35 am I started this thread, and I would be chuffed to be convinced by Peet and his team. I certainly can't be critical of results in recent games. Truth is, we've won nothing yet, and the crunch games will tell us what we need to know. I genuinely hope he does convince me about his coaching prowess...
We won the cup last year,so I assume you are referring to this season, or maybe just the GF?

Is a coach to be judged on trophies won after less than 2 seasons in the job? Taking over a squad, it takes time for a coach to shape them - partly through coaching and partly by replacing some players.

My judgement of Matty and his coaching team is based on the direction of travel since he took over. I'd give them 9 out of 10.
Yes, CC in the first season is pretty good and seems that Peet and team are quick learners and Peet doesn't often make lame excuses (if ever). Think we are in a good position but need to make another step up for the play offs.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Everyone is entitled to their opinions of course but I am amazed by some.
Challenge cup winners last season top of the league at the moment with 2 games in and playing some of the most expansive rugby we have seen since 2012. The signings next year / squad looks frighteningly good .
But…..you can bet your last penny that even with 4 more great performances if we lose by a drop goal in a classic at old Trafford there will still be moaners on here criticising the coaching staff.
Fizz Bomb

Post by Fizz Bomb »

I’m sorry but l can’t get my head around this criticism of Matty Peet. We won the Challenge Cup last year; two games of the regular season left and we are top of the league playing good rugby, this after what was the disappointing reign ( what ever the reasons ) of Adrian Lam and the club was down and everything was doom and gloom. It’s not like we appointed Daryl Powell or Rowan Smith for goodness sake. Enjoy what is happening and where we are as a team. In my uninformed opinion things are good and possibly going to get even better, but only time will tell. How can Matt Peet not have done a great job in getting us to where we are now? As for success, would you like Christian Wolfe as coach?
We have the history Sentelins wish they had
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Don’t forget all the people that have said we can’t succeed without Briers .
We can’t succeed with Tommy & Sol
We can’t succeed with Byrne , Havard , Ellis & Mago
We need to put Harry Smith in the reserves

Madness IMO
PorterjohLam

Post by PorterjohLam »

Glad to see attitudes changing, as I think people forget how bad we were when Peet got the job. Team full of egos and crap attitudes, exemplified by Hardaker and Hastings, two of the worst cultural signings in the club's history. Hastings downed tools in a playoff game because he didn't want to beat his former team. Hardaker should never have been allowed to wear a Wigan shirt. To compare that to where we are now (and look at my username, I loved Lammy as a player :lol: ) is light years away. He's done a great job. The trophies will come next, and he's already won the CC. Carry on lad.