Chris Kendall

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
Southern Softy

Re: Chris Kendall

Post by Southern Softy »

I wondered about the double movement at the time but assumed they were thinking about momentum. Saints' first try had an outrageous forward pass from Welsby but I'm nor sure I've seen a match recently with so much spite and malice. I'm guessing it was the cup semi-final that generated it but it was ugly, particularly from Saints.
How Percival got away with that forearm smash on a player falling to the ground amazed me, especially when Gildart brought it to Kendall's attention.
Incidentally, fair play to Gildart who was one of the few not to play act when he got a nasty cut on the head - just got it bandaged up and played on.
Not looking forward to playing Saints if we have to if that's their new style.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

medlocke wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:04 am
josie andrews wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:49 pm Makinson’s second try was put up to the VR as a try! IMO, and several on Twitter it was a double movement. Both were at fault.
double movement all night long
I had doubts about a few of Kendall's calls or lack of them. But it wasn't double movement and he referred it upstairs.

Makinson's whole body continued to slide forward, so although the ballhit the ground before the line, the ruling was correct -his momentum carried him over, not a double movement.

I thought Maybe (autocorrects's version of Mbye) was offside for one wrong call, and ptb offences were judged more leniently for Saints all night long.
Last edited by morley pie eater on Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:58 am
josie andrews wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:49 pm Makinson’s second try was put up to the VR as a try! IMO, and several on Twitter it was a double movement. Both were at fault.
I had doubts about a few of Kendall's calls or lack of them. But it wasn't double movement and he referred it upstairs.

Makinson's whole body continued to slide forward, so although the ballhit the ground before the line, the ruling was correct -his momentum carried him over, not a double movement.

I thought Maybe was offside for one wrong call, and ptb offences were judged more leniently for Saints all night long.
Watch it again, he moves his arm before plonking it down, our Sue even agreed and she knows naff all about the sport
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

Regarding Kendall, he did seem to shall we say be more lenient to St Helens, they definitely got more of the rub of the green.

Saints intention was clear from the start, "batter them". I was particularly interested in his judgement of the Percival head shot half way through the first half. Calling both captains over to tell them to behave instead of a sin bin. Compare that unpunished high tackle to the one on French last week which was a sin bin for a lazy arm then there is no comparison, the Percival one was far more serious.

We have to except refs are impartial and need to have more than one pair of eyes but without them there is no game, but each time I've watched him ref Saints he does seem to heavily favour them.
He sent O'Brien off the field in the second half quite rightly for coming the old soldier for holding his head trying to get a penalty or whatever, if your injured then go and have a rest for a couple of minutes mate. Davies went up for a high ball at the end of the game and lost possession after colliding with the back of one of his own players, as soon as he hit the ground he held his head as if to say I was fouled, not the same treatment for him. To be polite he was inconsistent again.

The Makinson try was legal for me, he did ground the ball short of the line and he did make a double movement to score, but, the Leigh tacklers had fallen off him so he could make a second effort. That's how I saw it.
morley pie eater

medlocke wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:41 pm

I thought Maybe was offside for one wrong call, and ptb offences were judged more leniently for Saints all night long.
Watch it again, he moves his arm before plonking it down, our Sue even agreed and she knows naff all about the sport
Doesn't matter that he moves his arm if it's not to promote the ball over the line. He ended up with shoulders and chest over the line, so he wasn't stopped short and therefore didn't benefit from whatever movement of his arm you saw.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:00 pm

Doesn't matter that he moves his arm if it's not to promote the ball over the line. He ended up with shoulders and chest over the line, so he wasn't stopped short and therefore didn't benefit from whatever movement of his arm you saw.
This rule is a bit of a minefield, my understaning is that if you are sliding with the ball contacting the floor you can still move or promote the ball? If you stop and then move the ball thats the double movement? Try for me on that basis.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Try for me.I had no doubts about it whatsoever
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

widdenoldboy wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:08 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:00 pm
This rule is a bit of a minefield, my understaning is that if you are sliding with the ball contacting the floor you can still move or promote the ball? If you stop and then move the ball thats the double movement? Try for me on that basis.
It does sound strange when you look at it that way!
Think of it like this: if a player dived, clearly over the line, and clearly kept control of the ball whilst sliding, but moved his arm forwards, would you have a problem?

The purpose of the rule is, it is to stop you promoting the ball after a tackle is made (your ball-carrying arm has hit the ground) and you therefore wouldn't have scored without that double movement.
Since Makinson's whole upper body was sliding across the line and ended up over the line, the promotion of the ball became irrelevant - he would have scored whether he promoted it or not.
I agree that it looked dodgy at first viewing, but if you watch it and see that his shoulders and chest (at least) ended up over the line due to the slide, then there really is no problem.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

Well I was expecting a regulation win on Friday nice and easy just edge past a poor cas team ,but the powers that be have decided to make the game more of a contest by appointing kendal as ref,maybe we should wear a red vee .