Isa

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Bobby-WRL

Isa

Post by Bobby-WRL »

1 year extension.
eaststandspy

Re: Isa

Post by eaststandspy »

What, it's not April 1st is it? I hope that is not at the expense of Mago if it's true, and how does Isa get a sniff of a place in the team. Walters, Farrell, Nsemba, Beardsworth, Shorrocks & Smithies in front of him surely.

Ah well, good luck Willie if it's true.
endoman

Post by endoman »

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/09/ ... lH5g30-6wg

Willie Isa will remain at Wigan for the 2024 season.
New Zealand-born second-row signs one-year extension.
Isa: “I’m happy to continue the journey with the Club and build on the years of hard work and love for the team.”
Willie Isa has signed a one-year contract extension with Wigan Warriors which will see him remain at the Club for the 2024 season.
The 34-year old is currently just one game away from making his 200th appearance for Wigan. He made his debut under Shaun Wane in 2016, making next year his ninth season with the Cherry and Whites.

The two-time Grand Final winner has become a key member of Matt Peet’s senior playing group renowned for his professionalism and humility.

On signing his extension, Willie Isa said: “I’m happy to continue the journey with the Club and build on the years of hard work and love for the team.

“I am always grateful and privileged to be in this position and I’m really looking forward to getting back out on the field with the team soon.”

Matt Peet said: “Willie Isa is a crucial member of this team and I am delighted he has committed to the club.

“He has put in some excellent performances this year and he continues to drive standards on and off the field.”

He added: “We feel his presence will be essential, with the introduction of some new players from our academy and from other clubs, his leadership and guidance will help show them the expectations of the club.”
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

eaststandspy wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:39 pm What, it's not April 1st is it? I hope that is not at the expense of Mago if it's true, and how does Isa get a sniff of a place in the team. Walters, Farrell, Nsemba, Beardsworth, Shorrocks & Smithies in front of him surely.

Beardsworth in front of someone who’s played 200 times for the club?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

eaststandspy wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:39 pm What, it's not April 1st is it? I hope that is not at the expense of Mago if it's true, and how does Isa get a sniff of a place in the team. Walters, Farrell, Nsemba, Beardsworth, Shorrocks & Smithies in front of him surely.

A back rower who has been consistently good for us, can provide cover to second row and Centre while providing an experience head to support youngsters coming through.

I can't see an issue with a one year extension
Last edited by Caboosegg on Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Miry Lane Casuals

Post by Miry Lane Casuals »

Strange decision. Should have been let go years ago. Ineffectual and now crocked
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:32 pm

A back rower who has been consistently good for us, can provide cover to second row and Centre while providing an experience head to support youngsters coming through.

I can't see an issue with a one year extension
+1
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I’m not totally against it because we lack a lot of experience in the 2nd row and Isa could help bring the young lads through. If anyone still thinks we are going to sign a top notch 2nd row they will be sadly mistaken.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I can see this one both ways so good luck to Willie for next season. I just hope he can avoid injuries next time around. Do we think that's it for signings then? I feel we're really close to having a top squad next season but you always want just one more don't you?
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

We still have an overseas quota spot to fill unless Mago is extending his contract?