Isa

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Gerrumonside

Re: Isa

Post by Gerrumonside »

Love Isa as a player he gives his all and can cover centre also which is a bonus. The worry I have is if we get into a situation next year where we expect him to play every week, as I’m unsure he can do that now, and Faz isn’t getting younger either.
Ipinwigan

Post by Ipinwigan »

The Wigan of old, would have let him go, he's now too injury prone and too old, not too sure why we are using salary cap space for him, sentimentality perhaps.
He will probably end up on the coaching staff.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Ipinwigan wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:31 pm The Wigan of old, would have let him go, he's now too injury prone and too old, not too sure why we are using salary cap space for him, sentimentality perhaps.
He will probably end up on the coaching staff.
Maybe he’s on a cheap salary and we don’t have enough room to get this 26-27 second rower we all believe we need.

I personally feel our second row his heavily imbalanced in terms of age, experience and proven ability but this 1 year extension may be the best we can do.

I do worry for our second row next season though.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Fujiman wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:33 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 1:32 pm
eaststandspy wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 12:39 pm What, it's not April 1st is it? I hope that is not at the expense of Mago if it's true, and how does Isa get a sniff of a place in the team. Walters, Farrell, Nsemba, Beardsworth, Shorrocks & Smithies in front of him surely.

Ah well, good luck Willie if it's true.
A back rower who has been consistently good for us, can provide cover to second row and Centre while providing an experience head to support youngsters coming through.

I can't see an issue with a one year extension
+1
Yes, strange how quickly it's been forgotten that when we were struggling (particularly our right edge defence) and losing games at the start of the season, Willie came back in and we improved.

Now I'm by no means claiming it was all down to him, but a reassuring old head can help settle the young UN's who have the talent but not the experience. The facts are that we were better with him than without
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Gerrumonside wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:02 pm We still have an overseas quota spot to fill unless Mago is extending his contract?
Which it's just been announced that he is!!
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Surely that spells the end for cust then? With keighran coming in? Mago Ellis and Isa all extended
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Yes he’s getting on a bit but I have to say while most on here have never rated him I’ve always thought he did a job well,and given how many years he’s been here it wouldn’t sit right if the club binned him off after this injury ravaged season,yea it’s sentimental but also it’s the right thing to do.
bertina

Post by bertina »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:44 pm Yes he’s getting on a bit but I have to say while most on here have never rated him I’ve always thought he did a job well,and given how many years he’s been here it wouldn’t sit right if the club binned him off after this injury ravaged season,yea it’s sentimental but also it’s the right thing to do.
+1
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Poor decision. He's past it and will be 35 next season. When is the club going to realise players of that age can't cut it anymore? Even the great Lockers struggled at that age and Isa is no Lockers.

People saying he was great in the past seem to have forgotten he was also younger.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Well with Mago staying on for another year too that seems to be it for new signings using quota spots. Can't help feeling that we've just played it a bit safe but perhaps there was nobody else suitable for us to sign. If they both avoid serious injury and play well it's been a good day.