RFL Statement: Academy Grand Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: RFL Statement: Academy Grand Final

Post by medlocke »

They should replay the game and move the final on 1 week
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:35 pm So would the same be applied in SL or would they just fine the club.
It wouldn't happen in SL as there is an official in place
medlocke wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:37 pm They should replay the game and move the final on 1 week
I disagree, we broke the rules why should we be given another chance?
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

medlocke wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:37 pm They should replay the game and move the final on 1 week
They can't do that the reserves grand final v Saints is next weekend nd there will be a lot of players who (from both teams) who would have played in both games.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Really poor from the coaching staff to think we could possibly get away with it. Considering a decision has only been made today my guess is that Warrington have flagged it up and the RFL are that incompetent they didn’t even clock it.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I feel sorry for the academy players. Some might feature in the reserves Grand Final but for others it might be the end of the road and they'd earned 2nd place and worked really hard for this chance only for it to be taken away from them by a really amateur mistake.

If you're coaching a team you should always be aware of how many subs you make because it's an essential part of the game. To go over by one is bad but perhaps understandable if someone has honestly miscounted. To go over by 4 is frankly ridiculous and I can't work out how no one realised at the time.

It's shambolic and it's cost the young players a chance to play in a final.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Dreamteam wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:53 pm Really poor from the coaching staff to think we could possibly get away with it. Considering a decision has only been made today my guess is that Warrington have flagged it up and the RFL are that incompetent they didn’t even clock it.
Wonder if the coaching staff just winged it. The suspicion is, that they would surely have known.

Feel sorry for the lads. What a rotten end to the season.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Apparently all the games this season have been played with unlimited subs but for some reason they changed it for the semi-final to follow first team rules.

The clubs were informed but now I can see how the mistake was made. It's ultimately no excuse but changing the rules for the semi-finals is just stupid.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

DaveO wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:42 pm Apparently all the games this season have been played with unlimited subs but for some reason they changed it for the semi-final to follow first team rules.

The clubs were informed but now I can see how the mistake was made. It's ultimately no excuse but changing the rules for the semi-finals is just stupid.
It does seem stupid, but at the end of the day, it's entirely Wigan's fault and I don't see why we should be given another chance either. So sad for the lads who've worked so hard.
Soul Kitchen

Post by Soul Kitchen »

Hattster wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:42 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:35 pm So would the same be applied in SL or would they just fine the club.
It wouldn't happen in SL as there is an official in place
I disagree, we broke the rules why should we be given another chance?
The final is tainted now!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

jobo wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:34 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:53 pm Really poor from the coaching staff to think we could possibly get away with it. Considering a decision has only been made today my guess is that Warrington have flagged it up and the RFL are that incompetent they didn’t even clock it.
Wonder if the coaching staff just winged it. The suspicion is, that they would surely have known.

Feel sorry for the lads. What a rotten end to the season.
If that was the case then they should be sacked, as they would be bringing the game into disrepute.