Tonight's Game/Wigan squad for Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Tonight's Game/Wigan squad for Leigh

Post by Barney841 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:47 am
Barney841 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:36 am
w.thomas wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:38 am I think they both were try’s. It’s just annoying that’s all people are talking about after we’ve won the league. Sky didn’t shut up about it, we were
The better team either way
. We have been class over the last couple of months. We showed some toughness that last 15 minutes and closed the game out well. I thought Leigh out enthused is in parts though so we need to raise our tempo for the next one. It annoys me that a lot of people play down winning the league leaders, I’d like a bigger trophy, winning it should be a bigger deal like the premiership, it’s a real achievement in my eyes. happy with the W and onto the next one.
I know what you mean. If it had been saints they would have just ignored the fact and gone on about how they deserved to win to the game anyhow.
The LLS does need more recognition, it recognises the most consistent team.
Whilst I am not disagreeing, what does “more recognition” actually look like, how does it happen and to what expense?

Only thing I can think of increase the prize money and the winner goes straight to the grand final. Maybe removing the loop fixtures would make it more competitive as you don’t have as many games to play but we know that’s been voted down.

I also used to like the old play off system where you had to beat everyone above you to win the grand final in the end.
Well the main prize and biggest money pot should be for the league title, also it would need to be broadcasted as the main prize of the sport.
Then have the premiership title like it was in the 90s
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Blimey - didn't Leigh whinge! Even Charnley (who I like and still rate) never shut up. They should sign Mikey Lewis and then they would have the full set.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Having watched them both a few times now I think ours should have been disallowed but it was marginal and the ref probably thought he's made a mistake. Then when Gilly scored the ref was trying to make up for his possible error and the video ref was able to 'let him off' because the ref had given no try. Gilly's try was a try all day for me and we got away with it even though I feel that overall we deserved the win. We needed a tough game before the semi and we got one. Great effort to win the shield but we must improve for the next game and I don't think we can win the final unless we get either one or both of Isa and Havard back.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

southportcdm wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 10:36 am Having watched them both a few times now I think ours should have been disallowed but it was marginal and the ref probably thought he's made a mistake. Then when Gilly scored the ref was trying to make up for his possible error and the video ref was able to 'let him off' because the ref had given no try. Gilly's try was a try all day for me and we got away with it even though I feel that overall we deserved the win. We needed a tough game before the semi and we got one. Great effort to win the shield but we must improve for the next game and I don't think we can win the final unless we get either one or both of Isa and Havard back.
Truthfully i reckon we can win without them both in dry conditions.We defo need another prop for wet weather rugby.Our kicking game and qptbs by our backs was our best go forward last night
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

The thing about the LLS deserving more credit: yeah, I kinda agree. But then I remember reading on every forum when Saints won it that it wasn't worth a damn, and the GF was what mattered.
Flash

Post by Flash »

The Nsemba run wasn't obstruction. He clearly goes through the line and the Leigh player attempts to grab him as he goes through which is the only reason there is contact. If it weren't for his defensive misread he could have comfortably avoided Nsemba. Not only that but Field is yards behind the play! In fact, the Leigh player almost gets to Field anyway and I'd strongly suggest that he would have made the tackle on any other player in the league apart from Field.

Another point that seems to be being ignored; had the Field try been given as it should have been, then Leigh don't get the penalty and don't score their try. Instead, they'd have been kicking possession back to us 10 points down.

I couldn't find the Superleague rules but this is from the NRL rules and we play the same obstruction rule:

5. Defensive decisions that commit defender[s] to initiating contact with an attacking player(s) will not be deemed obstruction
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Flash wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:37 am The Nsemba run wasn't obstruction. He clearly goes through the line and the Leigh player attempts to grab him as he goes through which is the only reason there is contact. If it weren't for his defensive misread he could have comfortably avoided Nsemba. Not only that but Field is yards behind the play! In fact, the Leigh player almost gets to Field anyway and I'd strongly suggest that he would have made the tackle on any other player in the league apart from Field.

Another point that seems to be being ignored; had the Field try been given as it should have been, then Leigh don't get the penalty and don't score their try. Instead, they'd have been kicking possession back to us 10 points down.

I couldn't find the Superleague rules but this is from the NRL rules and we play the same obstruction rule:

5. Defensive decisions that commit defender[s] to initiating contact with an attacking player(s) will not be deemed obstruction
Stop talking sense
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

moto748 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:25 am The thing about the LLS deserving more credit: yeah, I kinda agree. But then I remember reading on every forum when Saints won it that it wasn't worth a damn, and the GF was what mattered.
That's because this is the case.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Flash wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:37 am The Nsemba run wasn't obstruction. He clearly goes through the line and the Leigh player attempts to grab him as he goes through which is the only reason there is contact. If it weren't for his defensive misread he could have comfortably avoided Nsemba. Not only that but Field is yards behind the play! In fact, the Leigh player almost gets to Field anyway and I'd strongly suggest that he would have made the tackle on any other player in the league apart from Field.

Firstly I don't know the rules inside out I admit. I did think that the reason given on Sky about "inside vs outside shoulder" was nonsense.

This would suggest it is.......and these guys get paid to know the rules...............
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Absolutely spot on. The whinging and moaning of the supposed neutral broadcasting team was laughable! We got fleeced first and Leigh shouldn’t have been in that position anyway. It gets tiresome listening to them going in to bat for the underdog constantly.