League Champions

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Gerrumonside

League Champions

Post by Gerrumonside »

Last night was an important result for me. I know the league title is a little diluted nowadays with it being all about the grand final (modern day Premiership) but we have still won it more than the others!

Wigan have won the league 23 times with Saints 17 & Leeds 8 times but alarmingly in the super league era (1996 onwards) we have been well out performed. Saints in particular have bridged the gap with 10 league titles to our 6 in super league - chuck in they have won a world club challenge down under and are only 1 behind us there in total, we need to get collecting the silverware again!

Let’s hope we can retain the core of this squad and they go on to produce some consistency for winning, as historically in modern times there appears to be periods where one club dominates (Wigan 80 & 90s, Leeds 2007 to 2012 and more recently Saints)

We should rightly celebrate last night as for me the league title is just as important as the grand final, and hopefully there’s more to come.
Wintergreen

Re: League Champions

Post by Wintergreen »

Gerrumonside wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:11 am Last night was an important result for me. I know the league title is a little diluted nowadays with it being all about the grand final (modern day Premiership) but we have still won it more than the others!

Wigan have won the league 23 times with Saints 17 & Leeds 8 times but alarmingly in the super league era (1996 onwards) we have been well out performed. Saints in particular have bridged the gap with 10 league titles to our 6 in super league - chuck in they have won a world club challenge down under and are only 1 behind us there in total, we need to get collecting the silverware again!

Let’s hope we can retain the core of this squad and they go on to produce some consistency for winning, as historically in modern times there appears to be periods where one club dominates (Wigan 80 & 90s, Leeds 2007 to 2012 and more recently Saints)

We should rightly celebrate last night as for me the league title is just as important as the grand final, and hopefully there’s more to come.

I've highlighted the key words for you.

First one is subjective, second one is personal.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Wow thanks for that - didn’t know I was still in school :lol:
benjamaphone

Post by benjamaphone »

I'm firmly in the 'celebrate' camp - really chuffed for the team, shows the grit and commitment we've had for this run in 🍒⚪
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Gerrumonside wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:55 am Wow thanks for that - didn’t know I was still in school :lol:
Ok if you want to be like that.
We should rightly celebrate last night as for me the league title is just as important as the grand final,
Fortunately the entire Wigan coaching team would disagree with you.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Wintergreen you are clearly a lot of fun - just one question though why wouldn’t the entire coaching team want to celebrate success or titles?
pedro

Post by pedro »

Gerrumonside wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:49 pm Wintergreen you are clearly a lot of fun - just one question though why wouldn’t the entire coaching team want to celebrate success or titles?
he said he disagrees with winning this is more than the grand final which I agree with, back to training still got a job to do, after the grand final its party time
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I think we will need reinforcements to win at OT. Hopefully, we can Isa and Havard back. Junior looks like he is struggling a bit with a leg injury, the coaching team obviously don’t think that Shorrocks is good enough and Mago doesn’t give us enough.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 1:20 am I think we will need reinforcements to win at OT. Hopefully, we can Isa and Havard back. Junior looks like he is struggling a bit with a leg injury, the coaching team obviously don’t think that Shorrocks is good enough and Mago doesn’t give us enough.
Isa & Havard???

We can say goodbye to the playoff then because that is exactly what Matt Peet did last year! Brought in Powell v Leeds who hadn’t played for several weeks & what happened then…..

Stick with the team that is match fit now IMO
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Championes championés! Well done everyone at the club. Now the final push to be grand final champion. :D :D :D
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐