Tonight's Game/Wigan squad for Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaiJones

Re: Tonight's Game/Wigan squad for Leigh

Post by DaiJones »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:49 pm
Flash wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:37 am The Nsemba run wasn't obstruction. He clearly goes through the line and the Leigh player attempts to grab him as he goes through which is the only reason there is contact. If it weren't for his defensive misread he could have comfortably avoided Nsemba. Not only that but Field is yards behind the play! In fact, the Leigh player almost gets to Field anyway and I'd strongly suggest that he would have made the tackle on any other player in the league apart from Field.

Another point that seems to be being ignored; had the Field try been given as it should have been, then Leigh don't get the penalty and don't score their try. Instead, they'd have been kicking possession back to us 10 points down.

I couldn't find the Superleague rules but this is from the NRL rules and we play the same obstruction rule:

5. Defensive decisions that commit defender[s] to initiating contact with an attacking player(s) will not be deemed obstruction
Firstly I don't know the rules inside out I admit. I did think that the reason given on Sky about "inside vs outside shoulder" was nonsense.

This would suggest it is.......and these guys get paid to know the rules...............
If we believed everything the Sky commentary team said last night then Bevan French is Harry Smith, Jake Wardle is Toby King, the match was being played at Wigan and Brian Carney thought his interview with Liam Marshall was with Liam Farrell....and they are just the ones I can remember
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

The commentary team are mostly ex Wigan players and should be ashamed to take the gloss off Wigans great achievment in winning the league id sack the lot of them
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Heard Marshall and Farrell confused loads of times this season. They're hopeless.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

How sad to see a once proud player i admired ( Josh Charnley ) continually begging for a penalty every-time he was tackled . Well I know what he wants for Christmas ABEGGING BOWL come on Josh man up you are better than that :roll: :roll: :roll:
Flash

Post by Flash »

DaiJones wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:09 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:49 pm
Flash wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:37 am The Nsemba run wasn't obstruction. He clearly goes through the line and the Leigh player attempts to grab him as he goes through which is the only reason there is contact. If it weren't for his defensive misread he could have comfortably avoided Nsemba. Not only that but Field is yards behind the play! In fact, the Leigh player almost gets to Field anyway and I'd strongly suggest that he would have made the tackle on any other player in the league apart from Field.

Another point that seems to be being ignored; had the Field try been given as it should have been, then Leigh don't get the penalty and don't score their try. Instead, they'd have been kicking possession back to us 10 points down.

I couldn't find the Superleague rules but this is from the NRL rules and we play the same obstruction rule:

5. Defensive decisions that commit defender[s] to initiating contact with an attacking player(s) will not be deemed obstruction
Firstly I don't know the rules inside out I admit. I did think that the reason given on Sky about "inside vs outside shoulder" was nonsense.

This would suggest it is.......and these guys get paid to know the rules...............
If we believed everything the Sky commentary team said last night then Bevan French is Harry Smith, Jake Wardle is Toby King, the match was being played at Wigan and Brian Carney thought his interview with Liam Marshall was with Liam Farrell....and they are just the ones I can remember
Haha...I'm still waiting for Barry Mac to get used to his new teeth too!

To clarify further why it wasn't an obstruction (imo of course), Nsemba hits an acceptable running line into space and contact is only initiated by the Leigh player stepping to his left and subsequently grabbing at Nsemba. To put it another way, had the Leigh player not stepped left then Nsemba runs clean through a gap. It's also interesting that the supposed obstruction did not prevent the Leigh player getting to Field and it was only Field's speed that prevented him making a tackle so I would also debate just how "obstructed" he could have been in any case!

The inside/outside shoulder is a bit of a red herring as it only comes into play if Field is deemed to have run behind his dummy runner. As Field was well behind in back play that shouldn't come into effect. There was a direct path to Field for all defensive players at the time he received the ball.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Just been into leigh at a mates pub whos leigh mad.All very bitter about us winning with a bad decision.Funny thing is they all admitted that fields shudda been a try.So just like myself and others have said previously, there try wouldnt have happened anyways.The end( in the words of the famous meds)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I see the full game is up on Wigan TV already. I wonder why that is, when normally they're not available until the Sunday? Not complaining, though!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Ha! I take it back! It's on there, but it doesn't play. :(
Fizz Bomb

Post by Fizz Bomb »

moto748 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:00 pm Ha! I take it back! It's on there, but it doesn't play. :(

Its not the full game, it’s extended highlights which can be viewed at 10pm tonight. The full game will be on at 00:01 on Monday morning
We have the history Sentelins wish they had
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I know. I can read. They are both there, but with a note saying when each is available. But to my knowledge, it's never been done like this before.