Luke Thompson

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Barney841

Re: Luke Thompson

Post by Barney841 »

If we sign Thompson I’d by fine with letting Cooper go. Bad injury and at the age of 35 he might struggle to get to full fitness
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:26 pm
thegimble wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:22 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:08 pm

Can I just ask, why would we want Owen Farrell, what position would/does he play?

If he’s so desperate to play for his hometown club, with the money he’s earned from union, he should do it for free 😉😉
It's funny that ppl think a 32 year old union player could play league at the highest level and develop into a top player in 2 months Owen Farrell would be a centre or loose forward for us. Being a good youth will not help him now.

We have 2 quality centers and Smithies at loose. He is a waste of money. Not cap wise would be free but for the owner

Made up if Thompson comes. We are looking very good next season. I think we have over achieved this season. But Thompson and Dupree and a recognised kicker makes us favourites next season
My thoughts entirely regarding Farrell he is like it or not in the twilight of his union career and to make the switch you need a couple of years at least it smacks of a Warrington type signing,bought to sell shirts rather than win things.

As for Thompson any player who seems to have significant concussion as he seems to have should be left well enough alone.
Think that's why we are over loaded on props. We got 2 potentially injured players now but have the quality to cover it. Will be cheap on the cap if he is the 3rd marquee

But if he is still injury prone as he has been we could potentially gave a problem going forward.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

People want to pass up on what would be probably the best prop in sl because of imaginary scenarios. I’m pretty sure the club are planning beyond this year and know how close to the cap they are 🤣🤣
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Dreamteam wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:48 pm People want to pass up on what would be probably the best prop in sl because of imaginary scenarios. I’m pretty sure the club are planning beyond this year and know how close to the cap they are 🤣🤣
George Burgess we all thought he was going to be a world beater that didn't go to plan..to many variables with Thompson but what do I know
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:53 pm
Dreamteam wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:48 pm People want to pass up on what would be probably the best prop in sl because of imaginary scenarios. I’m pretty sure the club are planning beyond this year and know how close to the cap they are 🤣🤣
George Burgess we all thought he was going to be a world beater that didn't go to plan..to many variables with Thompson but what do I know
Agreed, Thompson is a risk, not played many games and has concussion issues. I get that he would be a good player IF we could keep him fit. My brother in law played pro RL and had concussions issues so had to retire early so I get the concerns around Thompson. It’s a bit petty on my part but it’s well documented that he’s not mad keen on Wigan so I’m not sure he would be the best fit, If he signs and proves me wrong then I will gladly eat my hat.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:53 pm
Once bitten twice shy etc. Fans are going to be wary of an incoming player from the NRL who has a poor injury record regardless of how good they could be
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:50 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:17 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:33 pm

I agree however i think it would be good for the game (admittedly at our expense) as i would draw RU fans and/or neutrals to watch how he goes on and you have an opportunity then if you can convert a small % of them into League fans all the better
I wouldn’t bet on that!
He would be a bums on seats sort of signing that Maurice used to make. It's not just sport, it's business. If we could get him it would be great for the game and would somewhat make up for the Edwards farce.
Spot on.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:25 pm
josie andrews wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:17 pm

I wouldn’t bet on that!
He would be a bums on seats sort of signing that Maurice used to make. It's not just sport, it's business. If we could get him it would be great for the game and would somewhat make up for the Edwards farce.
Spot on.
For a couple of games then the shine will soon rub off
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

medlocke wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:28 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:25 pm

Spot on.
For a couple of games then the shine will soon rub off
and the big difference being the ones Maurice signed were in their prime (or about to be) in the main. We had years of great service from Hanley, Gregory, Offiah, Inga etc. Miles was only a short term signing but was worth the admission money alone when he was on his day

Farrell, whilst being England RU captain is playing in his last RU world cup, and thus most likely to be downhill from here for him RU wise. It would be a massive punt, albeit not very expensive on the cap to start off with in the hope he could play in ?? position. One bonus would be he could kick goals for fun for us, so def one positive :)
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

If Thompson signs then surely he would be a marquee player?
French would be the non fed trained marquee.
Thompson the fed trained marquee.
Farrell the club trained marquee.
We would then have three marquee places taken with the third being a club trained player.

That's as I understand the marquee ruling now.