Super League clubs warned of potential funding cut after attendances spark losses

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Super League clubs warned of potential funding cut after attendances spark losses

Post by josie andrews »

A meeting earlier this week saw Super League clubs made aware of potential cuts.

Super League clubs have been warned that they could have a chunk of their central funding cut. In a meeting of clubs earlier this week, it was outlined that losses accumulated at centralised events had resulted in a situation where a reduction in distribution could be required moving forward.

Rugby League Live understands clubs have been told they may need to take five-figure fee reduction over a three-month period, though it was stressed that was on a worst-case scenario basis that factored in a poor attendance at the Super League Grand Final in October.

Officials have previously spoken positively about ticket sales for the Old Trafford spectacle but that could be impacted by the involvement of French club Catalans Dragons, who are already in the Super League semi-finals. They previously played in the 2021 Grand Final, which was the lowest attended since the first one in 1998. Less than 60,000 people attended the Challenge Cup Final this year and although Magic Weekend attracted its best crowd since 2018, losses are still set to be incurred, with the mid-season international against France also delivering an underwhelming audience.

Rugby League Live understands a proposal was tabled for the money to be reducted starting from next month's distribution, but the clubs opted to wait until after the Grand Final to have a clearer understanding of the financial picture.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... l-27811879
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Super League clubs warned of potential funding cut after attendances spark losses

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

This is laughable when you consider they're bending over for sky making their money while switching games left right and centre meaning they're shafting fans. If they truly want better attendances they need to get more games on a Saturday afternoon, less on a Thursday night and reduce their ticket price demands. The playoffs I fear will be badly attended. 5 quid discount for season ticket holders is a joke and many will be looking more towards the final as they won't exactly be cheap. You can't grow a game while you're pricing out fans
Caboosegg

Re: Super League clubs warned of potential funding cut after attendances spark losses

Post by Caboosegg »

So the rfl can't organise the finals properly and the clubs suffer.

Move it away from old Trafford ffs.

The Ethiad? (Man cities ground) is much easier to get to have better facilities than old Trafford.

If we need a smaller ground go smaller.

No chance of growing the sport if you keep Hammering the teams funding.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:06 pm This is laughable when you consider they're bending over for sky making their money while switching games left right and centre meaning they're shafting fans. If they truly want better attendances they need to get more games on a Saturday afternoon, less on a Thursday night and reduce their ticket price demands. The playoffs I fear will be badly attended. 5 quid discount for season ticket holders is a joke and many will be looking more towards the final as they won't exactly be cheap. You can't grow a game while you're pricing out fans
Saturday afternoon?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Time to face up to the fact there isn't the demand for RL adequate to facilitate our aspirations for the game we love
PJC

Post by PJC »

I agree with the comments about SKY changing fixtures and choosing awkward times. It cannot but reduce attendance. Wigan’s game is at an unusual time. You have it in your head that it will be at the “ usual” time before it’s announced but then you have to change your plans. I live some distance away. I can come but others may not be able to.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Problem is Rugby League is that they want to create this "everyone has a chance" atmosphere thats what the salary cap is there for etc but actually the flip side to that is when you get the "smaller" teams becoming successful you end up swapping a leeds team for example with lots of support to a hull kr with average to low support.

The GF i suspect can survive but playoff games will suffer immensely

This is what i mean when i say its actually better for a sport to have dominant teams, because it sets a benchmark and a back story - the big games become blockbusters.

It wasnt so long back you had Wigan/Saints/Leeds/Bradford and you were guarenteed any game between those 4 was going to be huge. Now the "big" games dont seem to carry as much clout
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:20 am Problem is Rugby League is that they want to create this "everyone has a chance" atmosphere thats what the salary cap is there for etc but actually the flip side to that is when you get the "smaller" teams becoming successful you end up swapping a leeds team for example with lots of support to a hull kr with average to low support.

This is what i mean when i say its actually better for a sport to have dominant teams, because it sets a benchmark and a back story - the big games become blockbusters.

It wasnt so long back you had Wigan/Saints/Leeds/Bradford and you were guarenteed any game between those 4 was going to be huge. Now the "big" games dont seem to carry as much clout
I get your comments. I take what you saying and see it as evidence of the point I was making above. I can't foresee any social engineering to satisfy our aspirations. We simply have to make the "best" ofwhat we have. Demand for our game can't be spirited from the fragility we of our existing support
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

archiekeith wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:52 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:20 am Problem is Rugby League is that they want to create this "everyone has a chance" atmosphere thats what the salary cap is there for etc but actually the flip side to that is when you get the "smaller" teams becoming successful you end up swapping a leeds team for example with lots of support to a hull kr with average to low support.

I get your comments. I take what you saying and see it as evidence of the point I was making above. I can't foresee any social engineering to satisfy our aspirations. We simply have to make the "best" ofwhat we have. Demand for our game can't be spirited from the fragility we of our existing support
yes i agree - there isnt the demand we would like and we continue to water down the offer
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I really don't like the way that those in power refer to worries about possible low attendance at the Grand Final, even if they say that they're taking it into account, just before saints play Catalans. It's obvious which result they're worried about and I'd hate to think that any of the officials have that idea in the back of their mind. I'd happily buy several tickets to make up for the disaster of Catalans making it to Old Trafford.