Matt Peet on potential returnee, HKR’s Brad Schneider & message to Wigan Warriors Fans ahead of SL semi final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EagleEyePie

Re: Matt Peet on potential returnee, HKR’s Brad Schneider & message to Wigan Warriors Fans ahead of SL semi final

Post by EagleEyePie »

Isa would bring plenty of experience but he must be lacking some match fitness. You'd have to weigh up the positives and negatives of including him.

It's not like we haven't been hit by this exact same situation before. He returned for the cup semi final against Rovers and picked up another injury. Maybe that was just a freak accident because it was unrelated to the previous injury but you see it plenty of times where players return from injury only to pick up another unrelated knock. Sean O'Loughlin had this issue frequently at Isa's age.

On the other hand, Rovers have such a dangerous left edge, particularly with Kenny-Dowall, and Nsemba's defence is still an issue. The try we conceded against Leigh was more down to poor positioning from Nsemba than French's missed tackle. When you get to this stage of the playoffs games can be decided more by weaknesses than strengths.

Isa would bring experience to that edge and we know how great a defender he is.

I'd be considering bringing Shorrocks back into the side to be honest. We know how Rovers are likely to play. It will be focused on offloads and using their quick players around the ruck area and I think we'd benefit more from Shorrocks and his work rate at marker. Mago has been excellent but we know there's still a risk if someone like Parcell gets the chance to run at him. I think Shorrocks keeps our defence a lot more solid than both Nsemba and Hill. I don't think it's likely to happen, as he seemed to play 80 minutes in the reserves grand final, but for me the energy he brings to the side could be vital in a game that could be so tight.