Luke Thompson

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: Luke Thompson

Post by Southern Softy »

Does this mean that we now have:
Havard, Cooper, Mago, Thompson, Byrne, Hill, Dupree, Ellis as main props with Chan, Douglas & Makin as back-ups?

I'm assuming that Nsemba & Walters will be second rows along with Farrell & Shorrocks (assuming he's still here) & Isa - Smithies at LF (maybe Leeming covers there as well.).

Bit light elsewhere if we have injuries, I would have thought.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Southern Softy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:38 pm Does this mean that we now have:
Havard, Cooper, Mago, Thompson, Byrne, Hill, Dupree, Ellis as main props with Chan, Douglas & Makin as back-ups?

I'm assuming that Nsemba & Walters will be second rows along with Farrell & Shorrocks (assuming he's still here) & Isa - Smithies at LF (maybe Leeming covers there as well.).

Douglas is a winger. There is another signing to come yet.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I am soooo excited by this. He is a world class signing.
It goes to show that having a billionaire owner will make a massive difference!
Hats off to the club for their ambition.
We are Wigan!
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Southern Softy wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:38 pm Does this mean that we now have:

I think prop is a very brutal position this definitely will give an ability to rotate with the benefits of keeping players fresh and fighting for a place as a first choice in the 17 on top of that. We are well covered for 13 especially if Smithies stays Shorrocks and Ellis are both comfortable there as well and I'm sure Thompson will fill in if needed. Leeming off the bench with three props would also give you plenty power and options as Leeming can slot in the halves if needed with Bevan and Jai that covers most in game issues. Walters and Jnr will battle it out with Isa and Faz again rotation wise that's healthy Shorrocks Smithies can both do a job there if needed, O'niel can also cover the 13 role so depth isn't an issue in the pack for me you also have Chan and Hill which if anything seems to many. If Powell stays we could enter the race for best starting pack with our second choice reserves!
Jai and Bevan give us great cover in game, Smith will general us around we may see Farrimond get some time but Hampshire may be the one to stay for cover. Miski, Kierghan, Wardle and Marshall looks solid in our backs with Eckersley and Douglas ready to step up actually Eckersley looks really good and could easily cement a spot given a chance great natural pace and size with what appears a Radlinski like attitude. Douglas as the X factor about him both can play any three-quarter position. Obviously if we bring in a ball playing kicker it may shake things up a bit :D but depth wise already it's one hell of a strong squad even if we lost a player depending on which one it is.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Get him back to his best and he will be the best prop in the league by far.
Only time will tell….
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:18 pm I am soooo excited by this. He is a world class signing.
We are Wigan!
There is still the salary cap to contend whether the owner is a billionaire or not!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:06 pm Like pulling teeth this announcement we all know it was going to happen but just seemed to be being put off for some weird reason.

Anyway if it comes off it's a hell of signing the club has made if not we'll not go down that road hopefully.

Now this cleary lad from down under any chance of a swap deal for ISA?😆
Actually, was told tonight by Kris himself, the final ‘signature’ was only ‘done’ at 6pm this evening. He will be at the game on Saturday 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Updated already on Wikipedia 😂😂
Luke Thompson (born 27 April 1995) is an English professional rugby league footballer, who plays as prop and loose forward for Wigan Warriors in the Super League, and for England and Great Britain at international level.
Although it does contradict itself in the following comments

Background

Thompson was born in Wigan, Greater Manchester, England.

Career

Thompson has been at his hometown club of St Helens since he was 11 (signing from Bold Miners).[citation needed]
Charriots Offiah

josie andrews wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:18 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:18 pm I am soooo excited by this. He is a world class signing.
We are Wigan!
There is still the salary cap to contend whether the owner is a billionaire or not!
That’s true Josie but three factors have come into play now. The quality of our marquee players could improve significantly as the new owner can afford to recruit superstars if he so chooses and, our junior recruitment will now go to the next level as we can afford to invest more in top young talent (such as the eight players we have signed from Thatto Heath). Finally, Mr Danson could choose to purchase the best equipment, further improve facilities, and recruit additional back room staff.
Charriots Offiah

josie andrews wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:23 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:06 pm Like pulling teeth this announcement we all know it was going to happen but just seemed to be being put off for some weird reason.

Anyway if it comes off it's a hell of signing the club has made if not we'll not go down that road hopefully.

Now this cleary lad from down under any chance of a swap deal for ISA?😆
Actually, was told tonight by Kris himself, the final ‘signature’ was only ‘done’ at 6pm this evening. He will be at the game on Saturday 😊
I hope he has bought a ticket 🤣