Luke Thompson

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
doc

Re: Luke Thompson

Post by doc »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 1:29 pm
CherryB wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:57 am This is a huge gamble on a player who has had an awful injury record for the last three years, and still not looking great. Add to that his questionable attitude, and being on a low having failed in the NRL, this could be a massive problem for us over the next 4 years. What he has shown is that he will happily sit on the bench and take his wages even if he is crocked. This seems like a wing and a prayer signing, to make a statement rather than a well thought out move. We aren't in the 80s now when we could sign anyone we wanted, this is going to blow a hole in our salary cap for 4 years and may derail all of the good work that has been done recently.
Injured players shouldn't get paid?
Anybody who is injured in he course of their work through accident, negligence or it just being an occupational hazard (like in RL) should be paid.

If you slipped and broke your leg at work would you be happy having your pay stopped?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:23 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:06 pm Like pulling teeth this announcement we all know it was going to happen but just seemed to be being put off for some weird reason.

Anyway if it comes off it's a hell of signing the club has made if not we'll not go down that road hopefully.

Now this cleary lad from down under any chance of a swap deal for ISA?😆
Actually, was told tonight by Kris himself, the final ‘signature’ was only ‘done’ at 6pm this evening. He will be at the game on Saturday 😊
I just grew weary of the chat about it is all Josie just glad it's done and dusted we will be at the next Riversidera meeting Gwen finally getting her off duty sorted around it I've missed going to meeting
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

Spoke to a saints fan earlier who said Thompson has played a bit of loose forward in the past.

Rumours smithies might be moving on and with 9 props does anyone think he could play 13 for us in the future?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Brennox7 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:25 pm Spoke to a saints fan earlier who said Thompson has played a bit of loose forward in the past.

Rumours smithies might be moving on and with 9 props does anyone think he could play 13 for us in the future?
That is in his remit that he can & has played loose forward.

If Smithies goes don’t know whose name & number I’ll be having on my shirt 😞 I’m feeling let down again for when the new shirts come out at the end of October beginning November ☹️
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
jobo

Post by jobo »

Brennox7 wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 2:25 pm Spoke to a saints fan earlier who said Thompson has played a bit of loose forward in the past.

I was told he started off as a winger and was as thin as a lath
bertina

Post by bertina »

A fully fit Luke Thompson would be effective anywhere in the pack.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

jobo wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:57 pm

I was told he started off as a winger and was as thin as a lath
Most started off as a winger in the under 6s 👍
Be nice to watch him run over makinson though
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Just stop the rubbish comments Thompson will be on a game play contract ,the club will have an up to date medical assessment of his condition & lets celebrate the club for finding class players to bolster an already good squad for next year . As an example Johnson now playing for Catalans was an injury nightmare but is top try scorer for them I rest my case .
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Well I am looking forward to seeing him play despite others having misgivings.

What was posted earlier in the thread about him asking about the facilities at Robin Park bodes well in my opinion. It also shows what an asset it is to the club and if people are looking for a legacy that IL leaves behind there you have it, the clubs move to Robin Park. Probably the best training facilities in RL in the U.K.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

13 is basically a prop these days. Smithies basically is just a prop.