'I've loved every minute' - Toby King admits he will ‘miss Wigan’ as loan star prepares for Old Trafford farewell

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

'I've loved every minute' - Toby King admits he will ‘miss Wigan’ as loan star prepares for Old Trafford farewell

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors centre Toby King says he has loved every minute with the club as the loanee star prepares for his final game - the Super League Grand Final at Old Trafford.

King, 27, joined Matt Peet’s squad on a season-long loan ahead of 2023 and will return to parent club Warrington Wolves at the conclusion of the season.

The England international featured in all-but one game during the regular Super League campaign, and marked his final DW Stadium appearance with a try in the 42-12 semi-final win over Hull KR - his 12th of the season.

That victory saw Wigan book their place in the Grand Final for the first time since 2020, with King set for an emotional farewell after admitting he didn’t know what 2023 looked like before the Warriors came calling – having finished last year on loan at Huddersfield Giants.

“I’ve loved every minute of being here,” the centre said.

I’ve got to thank the club and Matty [Peet] for believing in me. 12 months ago, I didn’t really know what I was going to do.

“The fans have been class, the coaching staff and Kris Radlinski have all been class with me.

“It’s been brilliant and I will miss it.”

A rugby league expansionist, King admits he’s pleased to see French outfit Catalans reach the final - but is hoping to be on the right end of the result come Saturday evening.

Wigan legend-turned-Catalans-fullback Sam Tomkins crossed with minutes left on the clock to knock St Helens out of the competition with a 12-6 scoreline in Perpignan, ending Saints’ years of Super League dominance.

The occasion, which will be Sam Tomkins’ last-ever game before hanging up the boots, will also mark his side’s second-ever Grand Final appearance.

“Catalans Dragons in finals is great for the sport,” King said.

“Hopefully a lot of the French can come over and support them and create a really good atmosphere.

“I think they’ve been class this year. It’s going to be a really big battle.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ll-4365786
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Re: 'I've loved every minute' - Toby King admits he will ‘miss Wigan’ as loan star prepares for Old Trafford farewell

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

He's played well since he got here and its a shame he has to go to be honest
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Re: 'I've loved every minute' - Toby King admits he will ‘miss Wigan’ as loan star prepares for Old Trafford farewell

Post by Firestarter »

Got a feeling we havent seen the last of him in cherry n white
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I wish we had kept him instead of keighran tbh.This is no disrespect to Keighran by the way who i havent seen enough of to fully rate him
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

Gutted he's going back to Wire. He has become one of my favourite Wigan players of the Super League era. He has only been with us for a season yet it feels as though he's been here for much longer which is testament to how well he has slotted in. A proper Wigan player.
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

Wire are talking him back so we can’t have him. Predict he’ll end up on loan somewhere midway through the season. Definitely not a burgess player.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

How long is he contracted to Wire for?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

He told me ages ago he felt as if he was on probation before going back to jail!

What are Warrington management going to do if their "fans" start giving him grief during games as they’ve done when they’ve played us??
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

We did want him and he wanted to stay and it was all agreed think Wigan was slightly annoyed at Wire changing the goalposts late in the day to say the least.
We can all wish him the best and maybe he may return, seems a good lad when I have bumped into him and had a chat.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

moto748 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:52 pm How long is he contracted to Wire for?
2025 I think 🤔