Harry Smith

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Blackpool_Pie

Re: Harry Smith

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Bobby-WRL wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:22 pm Where are the people that said he wasn’t good enough earlier this year?
Not a fan of these kind of call out posts. People will always say someone isn't playing well when they're not playing well. Some will say he's not good enough when someone isn't playing well. I did the same with Byrne. Turned out he was carrying a knock for some time and turned it around. More than happy to be proven wrong. This isn't about wanting to be right or wrong. Most of the time people are expressing their opinion and that's fine. Let's not try the point scoring over each other
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:10 pm
Bobby-WRL wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:22 pm Where are the people that said he wasn’t good enough earlier this year?
Not a fan of these kind of call out posts. People will always say someone isn't playing well when they're not playing well. Some will say he's not good enough when someone isn't playing well. I did the same with Byrne. Turned out he was carrying a knock for some time and turned it around. More than happy to be proven wrong. This isn't about wanting to be right or wrong. Most of the time people are expressing their opinion and that's fine. Let's not try the point scoring over each other
He couldn’t have been that bad cos we voted him player of the year. Need to get Meds to upload the photo 😳
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I guess what prompts posts like this is the difference in volume of posts between negative and positive opinions. It gives the impression that people like to moan more than they like to praise. It's always a shame when we get a good win and the site is very quiet. Surely everyone's opinion is positive at that point but they express that far less often than when they have a negative viewpoint to get across. It feels unfair to me for the players that get so much stick for the bad and so little praise for the good.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:26 pm
I guess what prompts posts like this is the difference in volume of posts between negative and positive opinions. It gives the impression that people like to moan more than they like to praise. It's always a shame when we get a good win and the site is very quiet. Surely everyone's opinion is positive at that point but they express that far less often than when they have a negative viewpoint to get across. It feels unfair to me for the players that get so much stick for the bad and so little praise for the good.
Very true Mike 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I do understand this mike but likewise

if i drive to work and get a flat tyre - when i get to work ill probably rant for 10mins about what an arse of a day its been and the problems the flat tyre caused

if i drive to work and its fine i dont say "yes all my tyres have kept pressure perfectly well"

We support Wigan so we expect the players that put on our jersey to be of a league winning standard - thats the bar here. If you are below that then its an issue as the bar is set high - if you are playing great well to quote Roy Keane "thats his job!"

I've never felt players get unfairly targeted i think in any team you have certain players who are going to be a lower standard and they probably stand out especially if you play 1,6,7,9 as they are the key positions to winning/losing a match.

There are a few with vendettas against certain players and there are a few players who polarise opinion but you are always going to have more comments around a bad result or a bad performance than a good one that just human nature
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:49 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:10 pm Not a fan of these kind of call out posts. People will always say someone isn't playing well when they're not playing well. Some will say he's not good enough when someone isn't playing well. I did the same with Byrne. Turned out he was carrying a knock for some time and turned it around. More than happy to be proven wrong. This isn't about wanting to be right or wrong. Most of the time people are expressing their opinion and that's fine. Let's not try the point scoring over each other

if i drive to work and get a flat tyre - when i get to work ill probably rant for 10mins about what an arse of a day its been and the problems the flat tyre caused

if i drive to work and its fine i dont say "yes all my tyres have kept pressure perfectly well"

We support Wigan so we expect the players that put on our jersey to be of a league winning standard - thats the bar here. If you are below that then its an issue as the bar is set high - if you are playing great well to quote Roy Keane "thats his job!"

I've never felt players get unfairly targeted i think in any team you have certain players who are going to be a lower standard and they probably stand out especially if you play 1,6,7,9 as they are the key positions to winning/losing a match.

There are a few with vendettas against certain players and there are a few players who polarise opinion but you are always going to have more comments around a bad result or a bad performance than a good one that just human nature
Perfectly put. :)
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:49 am

You might comment on an uneventful drive in if you'd spent the whole week telling all your colleagues how rubbish your tyres were and that they would definitely burst on Friday though? Well I imagine if you didn't one of your colleagues would mention it! ;)
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wes

Post by Wes »

Not a fan of these kind of call out posts.

Yet it’s ok to call players out in a call out post that suits narrative/agenda?!

People will always say someone isn't playing well when they're not playing well. Some will say he's not good enough when someone isn't playing well. I did the same with Byrne. Turned out he was carrying a knock for some time and turned it around.

Strange that not having all of the information to hand ie hidden injury makes it a perfect excuse to go at a player!!
If you knew Byrne was injured so would other clubs and if they knew of his or anyone else’s injury surely they’d target it.

More than happy to be proven wrong. This isn't about wanting to be right or wrong.

Yet when most express opinion it is human nature to want/demand that opinion to be right.

Most of the time people are expressing their opinion and that's fine. Let's not try the point scoring over each other

Point scoring is the name of the game when putting someone down, otherwise what is the point🤷
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I don’t think anyone did. Plenty of people were frustrated at his goal kicking which was hardly surprising since overall it hasn’t been good enough (he’s not even in the top ten in SL for goals percentage) but I don’t think he was regularly criticised for his half back play.

Even with the goal kicking he steadied the ship holding his nerve in the GF when earlier in the season he seemed rushed and nervous especially when away from the DW.
Bobby-WRL

Post by Bobby-WRL »

Certainly had a few critics on here and it wasn’t just goal kicking related.
One in particular that stuck in my mind was about dropping him to the reserves.