Grand Final 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Grand Final 2023

Post by Mike »

DaveO wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:29 pm Very happy sat on the train back to Chester. So is my son on his train back to Leeds.

I thought Cats through everything they had in the first half but once we went 8 ahead I could not see them scoring once never mind twice as they were knackered.

We missed a couple of chances with King holding on too long and the forward pass but it doesn't matter, we won!

Fair result as well given we created more chances than them and kept them try-less. No idea what the neutrals will make if it. Not really bothered. The GF like the cup is about winning it. Sometimes it will be a spectacle, sometimes it won't but for the fans the result is what matters.

Wardle deserved MoM. What a bit if recruitment that has been. Mago had a great game as well and was jumping about like an oversized toddler the final whistle :)
100% agree. Great day all round!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

As soon as I saw Harvard complete his first couple of carries I knew straightaway he wasn’t right, if hes not fit it’s a silly decision to include him. Looks like another stint on the sidelines for him. Gutted for Nsemba and Hill missing out after playing well all season but that’s sport. I thought we played decent and really kicked on second half, Mago stint really sapped them of energy and Wardle was dangerous every time he had the ball. We defended really well and deserved the win. I wasn’t impressed when we signed King but how wrong I was, he’s been class for us and will be a big loss next season, if we had the choice I’d have him over Keighran any day. Anyway made up with the win and for the lads they really deserved it after that second half of the season.
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:31 pm
saint wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:46 pm Congratulations. Enjoy !
Thank you 😊🏉🍒⚪️❤️
Ditto Josie. Listened on excellent commentary on Talk Radio. It was like watching it in 3D
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

The grandaughter had her wigan flag binned by the stewards as we were entering the ground.Apparently it was a dangerous weapon.You could imagone her delight, and 100s of questions as to why there was thousands of flags once we got inside.I wasnt impressed and didnt half tell the stewards what i thought.We are rugby fans.
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
up the junction

Post by up the junction »

Is there a trophy parade /celebration of any kind happening ? If anyone knows please
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Superb performance and a wonderful night which cheered me up no end after Wales's exit from the other code's World Cup. It was a hugely professional performance that has clearly got the rest of the league worried and resorting to saying the standard of the league "is terrible" or that rugby league only began in 1996 so St Helens are "still the greatest team ever" or that old lie that because we went professional a few months before some other teams thirty odd years ago none of our success counts etc. etc.

Weirdly, for a game that was so low scoring, from the opening minutes of the second half, I just knew we weren't going to lose. We clearly upped our level after the break and Catalans were always on the back foot from then on. When Liam scored it was all over as they never looked like scoring a try unless we made a huge howler and we just weren't in a place where something like that might happen.

Great to see the Wigan fans giving Sam Tomkins the ovation he deserved. One of the greats.

If we were St Helens (and especially if Chris Kendall was ref) then Bevan French's try from a blatant forward pass would have been given.

Giving Adam Keighran an advance on next year's wages was clearly a smart bit of thinking.

Having watched the game back this morning, my Bill Arthur bingo card was full after about 20 minutes with Croydon Hurricanes and Ethan Havard being born in Bulgaria getting mentions along with several wrong player names and referring to us as Catalans several times. Also enjoyed Tez and Baz criticising us for going for goal for the first penalty only to switch to "You have to take the points in these big games" as Harry put the ball between the sticks.

Finally, huge thanks to Ian Lenagan for everything over the last 16 years. I'll never not support Wigan passionately obviously but he has brought something special back to the club and the last two seasons have been the most I have enjoyed watching Wigan since the 1990s
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

With shorrocks being 18th man was that a sign that maybe bevan wasnt 100% and the rumour was true? Bev played welll but was he fully fit? Not a problem as we have won but made me think
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

up the junction wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:07 pm Is there a trophy parade /celebration of any kind happening ? If anyone knows please
Don’t think so 🙁
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:43 pm With shorrocks being 18th man was that a sign that maybe bevan wasnt 100% and the rumour was true? Bev played welll but was he fully fit? Not a problem as we have won but made me think
There was nothing wrong with Bevan! Don’t know where this came from in the first place
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaiJones wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:24 pm Superb performance and a wonderful night which cheered me up no end after Wales's exit from the other code's World Cup. It was a hugely professional performance that has clearly got the rest of the league worried and resorting to saying the standard of the league "is terrible" or that rugby league only began in 1996 so St Helens are "still the greatest team ever" or that old lie that because we went professional a few months before some other teams thirty odd years ago none of our success counts etc. etc.

Weirdly, for a game that was so low scoring, from the opening minutes of the second half, I just knew we weren't going to lose. We clearly upped our level after the break and Catalans were always on the back foot from then on. When Liam scored it was all over as they never looked like scoring a try unless we made a huge howler and we just weren't in a place where something like that might happen.

Great to see the Wigan fans giving Sam Tomkins the ovation he deserved. One of the greats.

If we were St Helens (and especially if Chris Kendall was ref) then Bevan French's try from a blatant forward pass would have been given.

Giving Adam Keighran an advance on next year's wages was clearly a smart bit of thinking.

Having watched the game back this morning, my Bill Arthur bingo card was full after about 20 minutes with Croydon Hurricanes and Ethan Havard being born in Bulgaria getting mentions along with several wrong player names and referring to us as Catalans several times. Also enjoyed Tez and Baz criticising us for going for goal for the first penalty only to switch to "You have to take the points in these big games" as Harry put the ball between the sticks.

Finally, huge thanks to Ian Lenagan for everything over the last 16 years. I'll never not support Wigan passionately obviously but he has brought something special back to the club and the last two seasons have been the most I have enjoyed watching Wigan since the 1990s
Interesting stat: Wigan have won as many Grand Finals at Old Trafford in last 7 years as St Helens - during St Helens greatest era! 😬👀 😂 @AlexG6 @wiganrlfans @andywc1980 @wally_1911 @josie_andrews13 @F0rdyWigan