Warriors win Grand Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Warriors win Grand Final

Post by josie andrews »

Match Report as Wigan Warriors win against Catalans Dragons to be crowned 2023 Betfred Super League Champions.

A Liam Marshall try and three goals from Harry Smith sealed the win for the Warriors.

FT | Wigan Warriors 10-2 Catalans Dragons.

Match Report as Wigan Warriors defeat the Dragons 10-2 at Old Trafford to be crowned 2023 Betfred Super League Champions.

The first forty was an arm wrestle at Old Trafford which saw Adam Keighran sent to the sin bin and the scores were level at the interval with penalty goals from Harry Smith and Adam Keighran for 2-2.

Wigan got themselves in front as Liam Marshall crossed for a converted try in the 51st minute before Harry Smith added a second penalty goal for 10-2 to see Wigan win the 2023 Betfred Super League Grand Final.

A bruising start to the game saw the teams go set for set. Tomkins sent the first teasing ball towards the corner which Keighran collected but the Wigan defence wrapped up the centre for the turnover.

The Dragons were reduced to 12-men after 19 minutes as the Warriors started to work through their sets, Keighran produced a dangerous tackle on Kai Pearce-Paul to see the Catalans men into the sin bin, as Ethan Havard was also introduced to the action off the interchange bench.

Moments later, the Warriors went closest to opening the scores as Liam Farrell slipped through a tackle before being stopped just short of the goal line.

Wigan got the first points of the game in the 25th minute. Liam Marshall was caught high by Manu Ma’u and Harry Smith called for the tee, slotting over the penalty goal for 2-0.

Catalans levelled the scores with 4 minutes to go until the break, after a penalty for an offside close to the Wigan goal line allowed Adam Keighran to slot over the penalty goal for 2-2.

Jake Wardle broke through shortly after the restart and his supporting winger Liam Marshall was pulled back off the ball by former Warriors Tom Davies, who was sent to the sin bin. The Warriors couldn’t capitalise on the fresh set though as Morgan Smithies was penalised for an obstruction.

Bevan French thought he’d got Wigan back ahead after an outrageous break from Jai Field saw French finish the move but the referee called it back for a forward pass in the build-up and it remained locked in at 2-2.

Wigan got the opening try in the 51st minute as Jake Wardle dropped a shoulder before sending Liam Farrell racing towards the whitewash, sending a final pass to the supporting Liam Marshall to ease over. Harry Smith converted the effort to put Wigan 8-2 ahead.

A high shot on Tyler Dupree close to the Catalans goal line saw Wigan once again shout for the kicking tee as Harry Smith successfully added another two points, seeing Wigan at 10-2 with 15 minutes to play.

The Dragons attacked well in the dying stages to try and get back in contention but the Warriors held firm to deny Catalans and see them crowned Champions at Old Trafford.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/10/ ... and-final/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Re: Warriors win Grand Final

Post by DaveO »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023 ... tch-report

Is another good match report. Gets it spot on IMO.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:10 am https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023 ... tch-report

Is another good match report. Gets it spot on IMO.
Yes a good report 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Steve McNamara in mourning as he explains Catalan Dragons defeat to Wigan Warriors, the two yellow cards the Mitchell Pearce issue and what needs to change

CATALANS DRAGONS went down 10-2 to the Wigan Warriors at Old Trafford in the Super League Grand Final.

The sides were level at half-time at 2-2 before Wigan stepped on the gas, scoring a try, a conversion and a penalty to take the game away from Catalans.

Dragons head coach Steve McNamara was disappointed.

“It was a huge tussle, not a great spectacle of a game but two teams ferociously going at each other for 80 minutes. To concede one try in a Grand Final and get beat is tough to take but we didn’t throw enough at the opposition in attack,” McNamara said.

“Some of that was perhaps down to the fact we were down to 12 men after 20 minutes and fought ferociously hard to defend our try-line with 12 men.

“But, in the second-half I don’t think we had one good ball attacking set which was perhaps credit to Wigan.”

McNamara did lament his side’s kicking game.

“We have scored more tries off kicks than any team all season and our last plays have been good all season abut they weren’t tonight.

“Last plays win games like that, the weather was a bit greasy and field position was the key. their last plays were better than ours tonight and ultimately that gave them field position to get them one try and not concede any.

“I thought we defended great, to defend like that in a Grand Final is what you need to do. I thought we were excellent in defence but poor in attack. It’s hugely disappointing for us.”

The Catalans boss did have an issue with the Dragons’ first sinbin which saw Adam Keighran given ten minutes for a dangerous tackle.

I have a problem with) first one yeah, second one is a professional foul. the first one isn’t a sinbin not in a Grand Final or any other semi-finals.”

McNamara admits that he is ‘mourning’ the defeat like a death.

“I am extremely proud of every person in our whole organisation.

“We need time to mourn after a death in some regards, that’s how it feels. The players need some time off because of the workload we have put them under because of the logistics of the World Cup.

“It hurts like hell. I will be right but I think everyone needs time now, that’s the level of where we are as a club, our expectation is to win not just compete so I am flat.

“We have just lost the Grand Final but I have no regrets of what we have done or how we have prepared for this game.

“It hurts like hell.”

Two years ago, owner Bernard Guasch was outspoken about a number of refereeing decisions in the 12-10 loss to St Helens, but McNamara revealed that he is just disappointed tonight.

Bernard is disappointed, same as everyone else. He is fine.”

The Catalans boss spoke about the injury suffered by Mitchell Pearce and the decision to bring Arthur Mourgue on late.

“Mitchell you could quite clearly see he was struggling to hit any speed running wise and Wigan came down that end a little bit but he just couldn’t run well enough.

“Mitchell has been a joy to work with, he has developed so many parts of him whilst he has lived in France and he will be a loss.

“It was 8-2, our key halves were all in the key positions. We were in that situation last week against St Helens where we stayed there and got the win.”

What needs to change for Catalans then?

“Not too much needs to change, we have shown a consistency over the last four years where we have finished top four and been to a few Grand Finals.

“Were Wigan at their very best? Probably not but they were outstanding on last plays and that’s got them across the line. We need to keep developing, it’s not far off.”

https://www.totalrl.com/steve-mcnamara- ... to-change/
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

The highlighted bit in the previous piece I thought he was wrong with his comment. Yes, luckily, KPP landed eventually on his shoulder but it could have been a lot more serious. And it’s been a a sending off regularly this season. Coaches & players are trying hard to get dangerous tackles, head high shots etc out of the game. I think if it had happened to one of his own players, he would have been satisfied with the card.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Brilliant video from Sky Sports, brought a tear to my eye 🏉⚪️🍒❤️

https://x.com/SkySportsRL/status/171328 ... 50022?s=20

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wouldn't surprise me if Keighran doesn't cop a couple of games ban for his sin binning Moore was right with both calls and yes if it was reversed and it was Wigan players I'd have expected the same outcome.
Shevvylad

Post by Shevvylad »

Keighran was lucky to not see a red IMHO.. and for McNamara to somehow suggest that different rules should apply in big games is dangerous nonsense...
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Stupid comment from McNamara. He didn't do himself any favours at all and comes over as a sore loser.

Agree with it or not, tackles like that have resulted in a sin bin for all of the season.

On a related note, I continue to be unimpressed by Keighran. Hope I am wrong.
Beryl O'Neill

Post by Beryl O'Neill »

First of All excellent win for the warriors and well deserved Sin bin right decision sour grapes from MCNAMARA Rule's the same Grand final or not Stupid remark
He should know better.Made up for everyone at the club.Felt sorry for for Sam not a way to go .But that's life.👏🍾🥂🌹