Grand Final 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Grand Final 2023

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:40 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:43 pm With shorrocks being 18th man was that a sign that maybe bevan wasnt 100% and the rumour was true? Bev played welll but was he fully fit? Not a problem as we have won but made me think
There was nothing wrong with Bevan! Don’t know where this came from in the first place
Thats fair enough josie just wondered
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

DaiJones wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:24 pm Superb performance and a wonderful night which cheered me up no end after Wales's exit from the other code's World Cup. It was a hugely professional performance that has clearly got the rest of the league worried and resorting to saying the standard of the league "is terrible" or that rugby league only began in 1996 so St Helens are "still the greatest team ever" or that old lie that because we went professional a few months before some other teams thirty odd years ago none of our success counts etc. etc.

Weirdly, for a game that was so low scoring, from the opening minutes of the second half, I just knew we weren't going to lose. We clearly upped our level after the break and Catalans were always on the back foot from then on. When Liam scored it was all over as they never looked like scoring a try unless we made a huge howler and we just weren't in a place where something like that might happen.

Great to see the Wigan fans giving Sam Tomkins the ovation he deserved. One of the greats.

If we were St Helens (and especially if Chris Kendall was ref) then Bevan French's try from a blatant forward pass would have been given.

Giving Adam Keighran an advance on next year's wages was clearly a smart bit of thinking.

Having watched the game back this morning, my Bill Arthur bingo card was full after about 20 minutes with Croydon Hurricanes and Ethan Havard being born in Bulgaria getting mentions along with several wrong player names and referring to us as Catalans several times. Also enjoyed Tez and Baz criticising us for going for goal for the first penalty only to switch to "You have to take the points in these big games" as Harry put the ball between the sticks.

Finally, huge thanks to Ian Lenagan for everything over the last 16 years. I'll never not support Wigan passionately obviously but he has brought something special back to the club and the last two seasons have been the most I have enjoyed watching Wigan since the 1990s

Bill Arthur bingo card 😂😂
Love that
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:29 pm Very happy sat on the train back to Chester. So is my son on his train back to Leeds.

I thought Cats through everything they had in the first half but once we went 8 ahead I could not see them scoring once never mind twice as they were knackered.

We missed a couple of chances with King holding on too long and the forward pass but it doesn't matter, we won!

Fair result as well given we created more chances than them and kept them try-less. No idea what the neutrals will make if it. Not really bothered. The GF like the cup is about winning it. Sometimes it will be a spectacle, sometimes it won't but for the fans the result is what matters.

Wardle deserved MoM. What a bit if recruitment that has been. Mago had a great game as well and was jumping about like an oversized toddler the final whistle :)
Defence wins matches and we were brutal. A little mention for Matt Peet and his coaching staff, they have put two cracking game plans together to win this coveted trophy. Cats never looked like winning in the second forty, we took the steam out of their pack and in reality the score line should have been more comfortable.

I agree about Mago Dave, I have been a critic of his in the past but over the last 6 months he has been great. Harry Smith was the best half back on the field by a country mile. Our pack was magnificent and our discipline and ball control was spot on.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:01 pm The grandaughter had her wigan flag binned by the stewards as we were entering the ground.Apparently it was a dangerous weapon.You could imagone her delight, and 100s of questions as to why there was thousands of flags once we got inside.I wasnt impressed and didnt half tell the stewards what i thought.We are rugby fans.
The stewards didn’t bother about my flags on sticks or my small lunch bag with my diabetic needs in it. They were more concerned about my Wigan warriors plastic bag with my cushion in it saying it was too big!
I have chronic spine problems so have to sit on a cushion in many situations. I saw another steward behind the ticket entrance & asked him if I could bring it in, who looked at what it was then screamed at them ‘ she’s bloody disabled, use your bloody common sense"! 😂😂

This is the problem though, people have no common sense these days, they are told to do something & stick to the letter of the law.

I was never searched btw

My friend got in with the old fashioned wooden rick rack 😂

Hope it didn’t spoil her experience & the day 🥰
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Good Luck

Post by josie andrews »

BriH wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:29 pm Hope Bevan and Jai run riot and show how good they are on the big stage.

I think Wigan are on the cusp of greatness!

Enjoyed the craick this morning Josie. Have a great day :D :D :D :D
Yes, always like a phone call from you Brian, love to you & Margaret 🥰🏉🍒⚪️❤️
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:45 pm Be interesting at half time but I feel catalan will have the half stats wise.

Unless we learn how to wrap arms though we have an issue
Interesting stat: Wigan have won as many Grand Finals at Old Trafford in last 7 years as St Helens - during St Helens greatest era! 😬👀 😂 @AlexG6 @wiganrlfans @andywc1980 @wally_1911 @josie_andrews13 @F0rdyWigan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

pearsy wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:53 pm Well done boys iam knackered after that
Me too 😴
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:59 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 6:45 pm Be interesting at half time but I feel catalan will have the half stats wise.

Unless we learn how to wrap arms though we have an issue
Interesting stat: Wigan have won as many Grand Finals at Old Trafford in last 7 years as St Helens - during St Helens greatest era! 😬👀 😂 @AlexG6 @wiganrlfans @andywc1980 @wally_1911 @josie_andrews13 @F0rdyWigan
Very amusing. :D As I have said before , no question St Helens have been easily the best side in Super League for the last four seasons but this four in a row thing is massively overhyped. They aren't even the best Saints side in Super League never mind the greatest ever. See below:-

ST HELENS 2019-2022 'BEST TEAM EVER'

2019-easy win in Grand Final, didn't win Cup
2020-narrow win in Grand Final on bounce of the ball that could have gone either way, didn't win Cup
2021-narrow controversial win in Grand Final after playing fewer games than rivals due to Covid, Won Cup
2022-controversial semi play off win but easy enough Grand Final win, didn't win Cup

WIGAN 2013-2016 NO ONE'S IDEA OF EVEN BEST TEAM AT THE TIME

2013-comfortable win in Grand Final, Won Cup
2014-narrow loss in Grand Final mainly due to 2nd minute red card, didn't win Cup
2015-narrow loss in Grand Final partly due to very dubious try from a knock on by Leeds, didn't win Cup
2016-won Grand Final more comfortably than scoreline suggests, didn't win Cup
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:55 pm
Firestarter wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:01 pm The grandaughter had her wigan flag binned by the stewards as we were entering the ground.Apparently it was a dangerous weapon.You could imagone her delight, and 100s of questions as to why there was thousands of flags once we got inside.I wasnt impressed and didnt half tell the stewards what i thought.We are rugby fans.
The stewards didn’t bother about my flags on sticks or my small lunch bag with my diabetic needs in it. They were more concerned about my Wigan warriors plastic bag with my cushion in it saying it was too big!
I have chronic spine problems so have to sit on a cushion in many situations. I saw another steward behind the ticket entrance & asked him if I could bring it in, who looked at what it was then screamed at them ‘ she’s bloody disabled, use your bloody common sense"! 😂😂

This is the problem though, people have no common sense these days, they are told to do something & stick to the letter of the law.

I was never searched btw

My friend got in with the old fashioned wooden rick rack 😂

Hope it didn’t spoil her experience & the day 🥰
It didnt spoil her day josie as all the fans queuing up also showed there disapproval.I was probably a bit over abusive about the situation but i could tell he was just a jobsworth.I also told him his man utd badge was offending me and should be binned lol.Didnt see many other flags in our north stand but there was loads in the west
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Plenty of problems where we were sat trouble seemed to be breaking all over the show seemed to be ale related isn't it always