Liam Farrell and leadership

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
EagleEyePie

Liam Farrell and leadership

Post by EagleEyePie »

I remember a thread on here around May or June where people were critical of Liam Farrell as a captain. I bring this up because I was watching a video with Roy Keane (it may have been The Overlap) where he was talking about what makes a good captain. Roy Keane of course being widely regarded as one of the best captains in any sport. I found it interesting that the qualities he listed were pretty much everything that Liam Farrell embodies as a sportsman. Being the most committed in training and being the first one in and the last one out, taking the best care of yourself and your fitness, showing commitment in games. Leading by actions not by words but being able to give advice to younger players. Essentially, the best captains lead by example.

I've never once doubted Farrell's suitability as captain because he embodies what good leaders consistently say a good leader should be. I think we buy into the TV and film portrayal of leaders a little bit too much. When you watch sports related drama it's all about passionate speeches and heroic acts but it's all a long way from reality. The above example of Roy Keane is a case in point. Never before has the myth been so far from reality, as people now see through his work as a pundit and the what his team mates say about him. It's not about ranting and raving, shouting and berating people. It's about being the person that everyone else in the dressing room looks up to and wants to emulate. It's about being level headed and calm more than being angry.

Good leaders can have vastly different personalities but there isn't one type of person that makes a good leader. Sean O'Loughlin had the exact same criticism levelled at him when he was made captain because he wasn't the most vocal either. It's also true that most successful teams don't have one great leader in their ranks, they have numerous people and between them you have a strong group that embodies the standards and the culture of the club.

I thought it was telling that during an interview after the game Willie Isa was asked which player he was most grateful to have on his team rather than the opposition and after referencing Bevan French he said it was Liam Farrell.

What has impressed me this year is the leadership shown by other players in the team, particularly the younger ones in the absence of our more senior players such as Willie Isa and Sam Powell.

A few years ago Morgan Smithies was being compared to a young John Bateman, which seemed like a reasonable comparison at the time. It had as much to do with his temperament as his ability. Over the last couple of years though Smithies has started to remind me more of Liam Farrell. He has that same desire to lead by example, to be the hardest working player on the field. You don't reach the level of being able to put in 55 tackles and makes 19 carries in a Grand Final without monumental effort off the field.

Harry Smith has dealt with a lot of criticism already in his career but he's shown tremendous ability to rise above it, to focus on his game and keep learning. He's had so much responsibility this year with Cust being injured and having to play alongside different halfback partners. Even with the new Man of Steel as his partner it hasn't been simple as there's so much pressure on him to help the team get the best out of our playmakers. Some of the criticism of Farrell earlier in the season mentioned that Smith did more talking on the field than Farrell. This is a good thing. You want your playmakers to be the ones communicating the most. Not all halves are natural talkers though. George Williams was picked out for being too quiet but he improved his communication. Smith is a natural organiser on the field and he's becoming a good leader too.

Liam Marshall probably isn't one of those people that you would necessarily think of when it comes to leadership but for me he's another player who embodies what you want as part of a good leadership group. He comes across as quite different to someone like Farrell in terms of personality (a bit more boisterous) but he also demonstrates that quality of leading by example. His effort on the field can never be faulted. The best characteristic is that while occasionally he may have an error in his game, I can't think of many players who are better at recovering from it and doing something special to make up for it. He got into the team the hard way and has continually had to earn it but he's now reached the point where I'd consider him one of our more important players.

With that in mind, are there any other players this year that have impressed by showing good leadership? We know that at 33 Farrell might not be playing for too much longer, but leadership within a team is constantly evolving and with our usual vice-captain Isa maybe not guaranteed to play as much and Powell potentially leaving our next captain should now be emerging in the next year or two.
Last edited by EagleEyePie on Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archiekeith

Re: Liam Farrell and leadership

Post by archiekeith »

EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:21 pm I remember a thread on here around May or June where people were critical of Liam Farrell as a captain. I bring this up because I was watching a video with Roy Keane (it may have been The Overlap) where he was talking about what makes a good captain. Roy Keane of course being widely regarded as one of the best captains in any sport. I found it interesting that the qualities he listed were pretty much everything that Liam Farrell embodies as a sportsman. Being the most committed in training and being the first one in and the last one out, taking the best care of yourself and your fitness, showing commitment in games. Leading by actions not by words but being able to give advice to younger players. Essentially, the best captains lead by example.

I've never once doubted Farrell's suitability as captain because he embodies what good leaders consistently say a good leader should be. I think we buy into the TV and film portrayal of leaders a little bit too much. When you watch sports related drama it's all about passionate speeches and heroic acts but it's all a long way from reality. The above example of Roy Keane is a case in point. Never before has the myth been so far from reality, as people now see through his work as a pundit and the what his team mates say about him. It's not about ranting and raving, shouting and berating people. It's about being the person that everyone else in the dressing room looks up to and wants to emulate. It's about being level headed and calm more than being passionate.

Good leaders can have vastly different personalities but there isn't one type of person that makes a good leader. Sean O'Loughlin had the exact same criticism levelled at him when he was made captain because he wasn't the most vocal either. It's also true that most successful teams don't have one great leader in their ranks, they have numerous people and between them you have a strong group that embodies the standards and the culture of the club.

I thought it was telling that during an interview after the game Willie Isa was asked which player he was most grateful to have on his team rather than the opposition and after referencing Bevan French he said it was Liam Farrell.

What has impressed me this year is the leadership shown by other players in the team, particularly the younger ones in the absence of our more senior players such as Willie Isa and Sam Powell.

A few years ago Morgan Smithies was being compared to a young John Bateman, which seemed like a reasonable comparison at the time. It had as much to do with his temperament as his ability. Over the last couple of years though Smithies has started to remind me more of Liam Farrell. He has that same desire to lead by example, to be the hardest working player on the field. You don't reach the level of being able to put in 55 tackles and makes 19 carries in a Grand Final without monumental effort off the field.

Harry Smith has dealt with a lot of criticism already in his career but he's shown tremendous ability to rise above it, to focus on his game and keep learning. He's had so much responsibility this year with Cust being injured and having to play alongside different halfback partners. Even with the new Man of Steel as his partner it hasn't been simple as there's so much pressure on him to help the team get the best out of our playmakers. Some of the criticism of Farrell earlier in the season mentioned that Smith did more talking on the field than Farrell. This is a good thing. You want your playmakers to be the ones communicating the most. Not all halves are natural talkers though. George Williams was picked out for being too quiet but he improved his communication. Smith is a natural organiser on the field and he's becoming a good leader too.

Liam Marshall probably isn't one of those people that you would necessarily think of when it comes to leadership but for me he's another player who embodies what you want as part of a good leadership group. He comes across as quite different to someone like Farrell in terms of personality (a bit more boisterous) but he also demonstrates that quality of leading by example. His effort on the field can never be faulted. The best characteristic is that while occasionally he may have an error in his game, I can't think of many players who are better at recovering from it and doing something special to make up for it. He got into the team the hard way and has continually had to earn it but he's now reached the point where I'd consider him one of our more important players.

With that in mind, are there any other players this year that have impressed by showing good leadership? We know that at 33 Farrell might not be playing for too much longer, but leadership within a team is constantly evolving and with our usual vice-captain Isa maybe not guaranteed to play as much and Powell potentially leaving our next captain should now be emerging in the next year or two.
A really excellent read and a superb testimonial for Liam et. al
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

archiekeith wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:06 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:21 pm I remember a thread on here around May or June where people were critical of Liam Farrell as a captain. I bring this up because I was watching a video with Roy Keane (it may have been The Overlap) where he was talking about what makes a good captain. Roy Keane of course being widely regarded as one of the best captains in any sport. I found it interesting that the qualities he listed were pretty much everything that Liam Farrell embodies as a sportsman. Being the most committed in training and being the first one in and the last one out, taking the best care of yourself and your fitness, showing commitment in games. Leading by actions not by words but being able to give advice to younger players. Essentially, the best captains lead by example.

I've never once doubted Farrell's suitability as captain because he embodies what good leaders consistently say a good leader should be. I think we buy into the TV and film portrayal of leaders a little bit too much. When you watch sports related drama it's all about passionate speeches and heroic acts but it's all a long way from reality. The above example of Roy Keane is a case in point. Never before has the myth been so far from reality, as people now see through his work as a pundit and the what his team mates say about him. It's not about ranting and raving, shouting and berating people. It's about being the person that everyone else in the dressing room looks up to and wants to emulate. It's about being level headed and calm more than being passionate.

A really excellent read and a superb testimonial for Liam et. al
I agree. Brad O’Neill is the one who stands out for me. Sadly it won’t be Smithies as he moves to new pastures.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Thank you EEP. That's well-written and a brilliant analysis.

I admit that I was one who had doubts about Farrell as captain early on - mainly because I thought the responsibility may be affecting his game. But this season has been one for blowing away many of the doubts or criticisms expressed on here.

Good innit?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Cracking post EE don’t need to quote your post

Well said regarding Liam & Liam. I was guilty of thinking & saying of the Pearl as too quiet but then I remembered how I championed Lockers when he was just 18 that he’d be a Wigan Captain & it took him a while to find his voice. In fact I feel he uses his voice more now as a coach 😂

Liam M is the most underrated player not only at Wigan but in SL IMO. He has faced constant battles with injury but has always come back wit a smile on his face, always liked Liam M.

Mind you I love them all, maybe some a bit more than others. But when I sent Matt a message, as I do before every game, I’ve known Matt a very long time BTW, he replied “you’re a star” ⭐️ 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Yes good post.Always good to be proved wrong when the team does better.Just going off topic but the Isa and Havard decisions proves that every decision isnt always good.Me saying ive heard willie is good to go payed off.I also got told Ethan was good to go when obviously he wasnt.Lets just say we are all right and wrong at times and no need to get bitter about it
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:48 pm Yes good post.Always good to be proved wrong when the team does better.Just going off topic but the Isa and Havard decisions proves that every decision isnt always good.Me saying ive heard willie is good to go payed off.I also got told Ethan was good to go when obviously he wasnt.Lets just say we are all right and wrong at times and no need to get bitter about it
On the subject of being proven wrong, I'm happy to have been proven wrong about Willie Isa this year. I've always been a bit critical in previous years. Every time a team would sign a new back row forward and they'd make a big impact I'd ask why we weren't being ambitious enough and chasing these signings and instead we'd stick with Isa who never really threatens to make the Dream Team or wins many man of the match awards.

The truth is it's all about creating the best team because you can't just sign all the best players in every position. In sport there will always be players at clubs who see it as the next step on their journey. That's perfectly fine because you can't force players to have a deep connection with a club when they might only be there for a year or two. What you do need is a core of players that embody what you want the team to represent and I think Willie Isa is one of those players, just like Liam Farrell. You need committed players. You need the players who set the right example and command respect.

We're a young side overall which makes our experienced players even more essential. It's not just about counting years it's about what value they bring, what they can demonstrate to the younger players when they take to the field, when they are together in training or in the gym, or how they conduct themselves off the pitch and Isa has been a credit to the club for years.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Firestarter wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:48 pm Yes good post.Always good to be proved wrong when the team does better.Just going off topic but the Isa and Havard decisions proves that every decision isnt always good.Me saying ive heard willie is good to go payed off.I also got told Ethan was good to go when obviously he wasnt.Lets just say we are all right and wrong at times and no need to get bitter about it
Agreed it just a fecking forum after all itd be bloody boring if we all thought the same thing wouldn't it..no one is right nor is anyone wrong just opinions is all

On the note about ISA always liked the lad always wondered what he did unless he wasn't there then there was a Willie ISA sized hole in the side,his impact is perhaps lessening as age catches up with him.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:20 pm
Agreed it just a fecking forum after all itd be bloody boring if we all thought the same thing wouldn't it..no one is right nor is anyone wrong just opinions is all

On the note about ISA always liked the lad always wondered what he did unless he wasn't there then there was a Willie ISA sized hole in the side,his impact is perhaps lessening as age catches up with him.
Every team needs an isa pal and he’s definitely improved with age
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I guess I've long been a fan of the "unsung hero". It may stem from when my lad was playing 2nd row for Churwell under-11s. He wasn't flashy or specially fast, but he was a decent tackler. I got him to watch Ian Potter when we watched games (more regularly then as there were plenty on Saturday and Sunday afternoons).

Willie Isa is one of them. I can picture him with blood all over his face, and carrying on like the Black Knight in Monty Python: "It's only a flesh wound. Come back you coward, and fight like a man!"

I noticed when he came on in the semi, that he was immediately calling other defenders into position, pointing where they should be. And always leading the line in defence. Sure, he misses one occasionally, but his commitment must be infectious, and he clobbers a lot more than he misses.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐