Grand Final 2023

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Grand Final 2023

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:14 pm Plenty of problems where we were sat trouble seemed to be breaking all over the show seemed to be ale related isn't it always
Yes, alcohol again causing a few problems for many.

I was pushed almost down the steps twice by one guy, who apologized later as many fans around me complained to him.

Two women pushed me down at the end of the game as I was getting my walking stick, I ended up going down to the front, we were on the second seated row, without my stick with my watch vibrating like mad with an emergency message asking if I had fell?

I like a drink, don’t get me wrong, but I feel it’s a shame that people do get into such a state they don’t realise what they are doing.

Perhaps stopping selling alcohol at big finals would help?

But especially at Saints & Leeds away where there is as much alcohol thrown as is drunk 😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
BriH

Post by BriH »

DaiJones wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:24 pm Superb performance and a wonderful night which cheered me up no end after Wales's exit from the other code's World Cup. It was a hugely professional performance that has clearly got the rest of the league worried and resorting to saying the standard of the league "is terrible" or that rugby league only began in 1996 so St Helens are "still the greatest team ever" or that old lie that because we went professional a few months before some other teams thirty odd years ago none of our success counts etc. etc.

Weirdly, for a game that was so low scoring, from the opening minutes of the second half, I just knew we weren't going to lose. We clearly upped our level after the break and Catalans were always on the back foot from then on. When Liam scored it was all over as they never looked like scoring a try unless we made a huge howler and we just weren't in a place where something like that might happen.

Great to see the Wigan fans giving Sam Tomkins the ovation he deserved. One of the greats.

If we were St Helens (and especially if Chris Kendall was ref) then Bevan French's try from a blatant forward pass would have been given.

Giving Adam Keighran an advance on next year's wages was clearly a smart bit of thinking.

Having watched the game back this morning, my Bill Arthur bingo card was full after about 20 minutes with Croydon Hurricanes and Ethan Havard being born in Bulgaria getting mentions along with several wrong player names and referring to us as Catalans several times. Also enjoyed Tez and Baz criticising us for going for goal for the first penalty only to switch to "You have to take the points in these big games" as Harry put the ball between the sticks.

Finally, huge thanks to Ian Lenagan for everything over the last 16 years. I'll never not support Wigan passionately obviously but he has brought something special back to the club and the last two seasons have been the most I have enjoyed watching Wigan since the 1990s
Great result but a nerve wracking first half! I knew we would win after the first 15 mins of the second half.

A wonderful result for everybody involved but especially Matty and Ian Lenagan.

Really excited for next season!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:23 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:14 pm Plenty of problems where we were sat trouble seemed to be breaking all over the show seemed to be ale related isn't it always

I was pushed almost down the steps twice by one guy, who apologized later as many fans around me complained to him.

Two women pushed me down at the end of the game as I was getting my walking stick, I ended up going down to the front, we were on the second seated row, without my stick with my watch vibrating like mad with an emergency message asking if I had fell?

I like a drink, don’t get me wrong, but I feel it’s a shame that people do get into such a state they don’t realise what they are doing.

But especially at Saints & Leeds away where there is as much alcohol thrown as is drunk 😂😂
I think one of the biggest issues ironically is old trafford not allowing drinking in the stands!

A lot of people because of this throw it down before and at half time
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

That’s my journey done at Wigan’ - Kai Pearce-Paul hails ‘perfect ending’ as rising star reveals NRL plans and Will Pryce friendship

Kai Pearce-Paul hailed a ‘perfect ending’ to his time at Wigan Warriors as the rising star prepares for a move around the globe to join NRL’s Newcastle Knights for 2024.

The 22-year-old started in Saturday’s 10-2 triumph over Catalans as Wigan lifted their sixth Super League title - their first since 2018.

It was a dream debut at Old Trafford for Pearce-Paul, with potential England duties up next before jetting off to Australia to continue his career in the NRL.

Walking around that pitch at the end and the fans cheering, it all sort of hit me at once,” Pearce-Paul said of his final game.

It’s the last dance, it’s sad but it’s the perfect ending at the same time. I could have been walking off that pitch as a loser, which would have been a lot worse.

“But it’s an unreal feeling, the last game couldn’t have gone any better.

“I took a minute on my own and reflected. It’s a weird feeling, I don’t know how to explain it.

I soaked it up quickly after that last whistle, it didn’t take me long before I realised that that’s my journey done at Wigan.

But after the hooter, it was an amazing feeling.”

Pearce-Paul admits he’s been given a ‘rough hint’ at a potential call-up by England boss Shaun Wane ahead of the test series against Tonga.

The back-rower or centre previously represented England Knights before being promoted into Wane’s World Cup squad, earning his first test cap in the 94-0 win over Greece with a try-scoring debut.

“Everyone wants to play for England,” Pearce-Paul said.

“I said before my debut that it’s something you dream of as a kid.

“I know I achieved that last year, but like putting the Wigan jersey on, putting the England jersey on is another level and there’s no bigger honour in my life.”

Pearce-Paul will then embark on his new career down under alongside rising star Will Pryce, with the pair having both signed two-year contracts from 2024.

Neither knew that the other had signed until both deals were done, with Pearce-Paul excited to earn his chance in the NRL in a move that will see him also link up with former Wigan team-mate Jackson Hastings.

“I know Will Pryce,” Pearce-Paul said. “The rough plan is to get over there together and stay in the same place.

I chat to him most days. I played for England Knights with him but we’ve always been friends and once we found out we were heading to Newcastle Knights, we started chatting a bit more.

“He’s a good mate of mine and I can’t wait to go over there with him.”

Pearce-Paul hasn’t ruled out a potential return to Wigan one day, with the victory at the Theatre of Dreams concluding a four-year stint with the club following his move from London Broncos at the end of 2019.

He continued: “You never know how things go. I love this club, it’s an absolutely great club and they’ve been nothing but good to me.“I couldn’t say a bad thing about Wigan. Everyone has been good to me, the coaches, the players, Ian Lenagan, Kris Radlinski…everyone has been great to me. You never know what will happen in the future.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ip-4372532
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I did get a beer soaking when we scored and the missus got banged in the head by a drunk.I had to bite my lip.
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:42 pm

I think one of the biggest issues ironically is old trafford not allowing drinking in the stands!

Yes they do, it’s just that some people can’t pace themselves. There were lots taking bottles to their seats.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Is that new you never used to be able to drink on sight of the pitch at old trafford
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

In 2018 fans were not allowed drinks at their seats and at halftime the bars were shut due to drunkenness, that seemed to have improved things. I wouldn’t mind so much if it was booster young men but they tend to be middle aged.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:08 pm
In 2018 fans were not allowed drinks at their seats and at halftime the bars were shut due to drunkenness, that seemed to have improved things. I wouldn’t mind so much if it was booster young men but they tend to be middle aged.
I forgot about that, I did hear that the bars had shut during that game but I never noticed people causing problems as much as I did this year.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:42 pm

There was plenty of drinking in the stands on Saturday.