Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: 2024

Post by fozzieskem »

Brennox7 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:42 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:38 pm
Brennox7 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:56 am Not that the dust has settled from last night but just wondering what fans are thinking about next season?

Spoke to Cade Cust who pretty much said he’s leaving Wigan.

Anyone else know or think players are leaving? Is business done for recruitment?

Cheers and hope you all celebrated in style 🔴⚪️🍒
It’s not settled yet for me 😂😂
Completely understand Josie. Think I’m just anticipating missing the game till Feb. Already thinking of next season 😂
Same with us got the Tonga game next week and then the drought sets in haha
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:21 pm
Brennox7 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:42 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:38 pm

It’s not settled yet for me 😂😂
Completely understand Josie. Think I’m just anticipating missing the game till Feb. Already thinking of next season 😂
Same with us got the Tonga game next week and then the drought sets in haha
It’ll be the darts at all pally that’ll get me through fozzie. Bit of yawnion World Cup 😳
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Brennox7 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:56 am Not that the dust has settled from last night but just wondering what fans are thinking about next season?

Anyone else know or think players are leaving? Is business done for recruitment?

Peet confirmed he was going in the interview while paying his.respects said the club that gets him next season have got good one.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:31 pm

Peet confirmed he was going in the interview while paying his.respects said the club that gets him next season have got good one.
Just not Wigan standard then
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I've been recovering from yesterday and just letting it all sink in today. Great effort by all the lads. Les cats are a really big tough side and our lads worked so hard to match them physically. I sometime forget just how brave they are to play at the top level. How relatively slight blokes like Bevan, Jai and Liam run into the defensive line with no thought for self preservation and also tackle players 4 or 5 stone heavier than themselves defies belief at times. The players we've signed so far for next season must be looking forward to joining our squad but they have high standards to live up to. I thought that the two players that we know for certain are leaving (KPP, King) were excellent, Smithies (hope it's all rumours) was immense and Powell played well too. It was great to see so many happy fans after the game, I'm already looking forward to next season, but I think I'll take a few more days to savour the fact that the Warriors are Super League Champions for at least another twelve months. Congratulations to everyone at the club and thanks for a great year.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Still basking in the new chapter of our glorious history that the team wrote on Saturday, but thinking about 2024, I would be interested in people’s insights into who might emerge next year. I am assuming that are veterans Powell and Isa will join KPP, Cust and King in exiting. Plus, I guess, Thornley and Hampshire, though I wonder whether Rocky may go round again. All can leave with heads held high.

Which leaves 12 out of Saturday’s team in the mix. Who will make up the rest of the squad???

The injured: Cooper, Byrne (neither of whom may have played anyway, given the extraordinary pack performances we have seen recently)
The new signings: Keighran, Thompson, Walters, Leeming
The squad players from this year: Nsemba, Shorrocks, Hill
Youngsters stepping up: Eckersley? Forber? Anyone else we can expect/hope to emerge?

We seem to have extraordinary strength in depth in the forwards, but I wonder about the backs. We were pretty much injury free in the backs this year. Are there any gems that we can look forward to seeing in the first team?

One thing that is clear that, whoever he has available, Peet and his team will improve them. And that is all we can ask for. I simply can’t wait.
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:22 pm Still basking in the new chapter of our glorious history that the team wrote on Saturday, but thinking about 2024, I would be interested in people’s insights into who might emerge next year. I am assuming that are veterans Powell and Isa will join KPP, Cust and King in exiting. Plus, I guess, Thornley and Hampshire, though I wonder whether Rocky may go round again. All can leave with heads held high.

Which leaves 12 out of Saturday’s team in the mix. Who will make up the rest of the squad???

The injured: Cooper, Byrne (neither of whom may have played anyway, given the extraordinary pack performances we have seen recently)
Youngsters stepping up: Eckersley? Forber? Anyone else we can expect/hope to emerge?

We seem to have extraordinary strength in depth in the forwards, but I wonder about the backs. We were pretty much injury free in the backs this year. Are there any gems that we can look forward to seeing in the first team?

One thing that is clear that, whoever he has available, Peet and his team will improve them. And that is all we can ask for. I simply can’t wait.
Isa has signed a one year extension
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:22 pm Still basking in the new chapter of our glorious history that the team wrote on Saturday, but thinking about 2024, I would be interested in people’s insights into who might emerge next year. I am assuming that are veterans Powell and Isa will join KPP, Cust and King in exiting. Plus, I guess, Thornley and Hampshire, though I wonder whether Rocky may go round again. All can leave with heads held high.

Douglas.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

it feels like a real positive time to be a wigan fan at the minute

we've signed well for next year already (perhaps others to come in?), and the players we've signed appear to have performed / kept putting in performances for their current clubs, which is a real positive about the attitude of them players

yes we're losing KPP (good luck and thankyou for your time in cherry and white), Cust and rumoured Smithies, but have recruited really well in the pack. We still have Cooper, Byrne and i'll add Havard (hindsight - shouldnt have played at weekend) to come back from injury, so thats 3 forwards who were playing really well this season

i think we'll probably see a lot more game time for Junior in 24, as Farrell and Isa are started to be phased out of the 1st team (as long as we learn from past mistakes)

with a starting team something like the below (left Smithies out based on current rumour)

Field
Marshall
Wardle
Keighran
Miski
French
Smith
Ellis
O'Neill
Havard
Farrell
Isa
Thompson

Cooper
Dupree
Byrne
Mago
Junior
Leeming
Shorrocks
Walters
Chan

thats a pretty impressive starting 13 and some bench for 2024, and players are going to have to be performing to get a game Glad i'm not Matty Peet :) :)
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

pieman - I'd add in Hill too for the bench. Looks very strong with the only possible weakness resulting from an injury to Smith? Does anybody know for certain what's happening with Rocky?