Morgan Smithies set for NRL move as Wigan Warriors forward heads down under

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pearsy

Re: Morgan Smithies set for NRL move as Wigan Warriors forward heads down under

Post by pearsy »

There something wrong even when we are winning we see players leaving the salary cap is gonna have to be evened up so we stop young players leaving this country.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

pearsy wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:00 pm There something wrong even when we are winning we see players leaving the salary cap is gonna have to be evened up so we stop young players leaving this country.
it may not just be financial, although he hasnt come out like KPP did and say he wants a crack at the NRL

if the lads got ambition, fair play to him. There's no doubt he would get a good contract at Wigan if he wants to stay, but equally, it probably wouldnt be anywhere near what he'll get in Oz

with all players, if they put it in week in week out on the pitch, then as fans we cant ask for much more. yes, we can argue about loyalty, but how many of us would stay in our current job, if a like for like position was offered at the best company around, and £50k pa more?
Crossy210

Re: Smithies on verge of leaving

Post by Crossy210 »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:56 pm
Crossy210 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:30 pm Does this mean Farrell is coming in or will Thompson play loose?
There is a feeling inside the club that Farrell is closer than ever, they're optimistic it gets done.
Personally think Farrell at 13 would be a very good move. He’s shown he’s not afraid of contact and has a very good set of hands
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

We can’t up the salary cap because the small little village clubs like cas won’t be happy. It’s always been the clubs that offer naff all to the sport that hold the others back. I look forward to super league in a few years when the clubs like Salford cas and wakey are no more
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

southportcdm wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:32 pm Very disappointing but perhaps explains why we've signed so many 'middles'. I too think Thompson will play at 13. Hope we still have a signing to make to ease the blow. Morgan always gives everything, best of luck to him in the NRL.
If Thompson is going to play 13, who's going to play 13 when he's out injured? It's quite likely based on the last few years.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Absolutely gutted. He will leave a huge hole and I think many will see what he brings once he leaves
Soul Kitchen

Post by Soul Kitchen »

Dreamteam wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:30 pm We can’t up the salary cap because the small little village clubs like cas won’t be happy. It’s always been the clubs that offer naff all to the sport that hold the others back. I look forward to super league in a few years when the clubs like Salford cas and wakey are no more
And consequently a reduced league!
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Good luck to Morgan. He's developed into a very good player and England international and it's no surprise he now wants to test himself in the best competition in the world.

Despite only being 22 he's made over 100 appearances for the club so he's given us plenty during his time at the club. He's won the League Leaders Shield, Challenge Cup and now a Grand Final so what better time to move onto the next challenge.

With the signings we've made we should still be pretty strong down the middle for next season. Also potentially a last chance for Joe Shorrocks who probably would have been a mainstay in the team this season if not for the outstanding form of Smithies.

I hope he has a successful time in the NRL and what a way to bow out at Wigan.
Great grandad Harry ball

Post by Great grandad Harry ball »

But don't just expect to come back when it suits, there's only one way when leaving Wigan, ..........downwards
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think he’s to small to sustain a successful career in the NRL for long. As I think we are seeing with Bateman, who is another who plays above his weight. A player like Farrell (or Field in the backs) can thrive year after year here because the general size of players and speed of the game is slower.

That said, he has put in a stint every time he has taken the field for us. Good luck to him. I was going to write that if I were him I would do the same, but of all the clubs in the NRL, Canberra would be near the bottom of my list in terms of places to live.