Wigan Warriors coach makes World Club Challenge admission

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors coach makes World Club Challenge admission

Post by josie andrews »

"Bring on Penrith Panthers!' - That's the message from Wigan Warriors coach Matty Peet and his new Super League champions.

Saturday's 10-2 victory over Catalans Dragons at Old Trafford has moved Warriors in line to compete in the World Club Challenge against the best of the NRL.

That puts them on course with the Panthers, who were defeated by St Helens on home soil in the annual showpiece at the beginning of the year.

It would also be a repeat of the 1991 clash at Anfield, when John Monie's Wigan side hammered Phil Gould's Panthers 21-4.

Peet would also be prepared to take his side Down Under for the chance to call themselves the world's best.

"We want to go there," he said. "I’m looking forward to it. It will be an honour.

"I know the club would like to go there. It is an exciting thing for next year.

"We can start to think about that, maybe on Tuesday.

This club has a great history in playing in that competition and it’s where we should be.

"We've got massive respect for them as an organisation.

We will play anywhere, but I will let people higher up than me make that decision.”

Wigan's tally of four World Club Challenge wins is second only behind Sydney Roosters, who have five wins.

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has already signalled his openness to taking part.

"It would be awesome to get another crack at it," Cleary told AAP after the recent NRL Grand Final.

"We were pretty bummed about that one (the loss to St Helens).

"We absolutely gave it our best, it was the first game of the year and St Helens were too good for us that night.

"It would be nice to get another shot at it."

Old Trafford being the venue of Wigan’s success was particularly apt for Peet, who has admitted in the past his admiration for Sir Alex Ferguson – along with NBA legend Phil Jackson - and the importance of instilling the right culture.

When coaches can win repeatedly and build different teams and sustain a culture, then you know they have got something special about them,” said Peet.

"So as you mention there, they are the kind of coaches that I admire and look to learn little bits from.”

On Ferguson’s reign, he added: “Sitting back, watching that team evolve through the late 1980s and right through to the 2000s, what you saw from Sir Alex was him rebuild that team, make tough decisions when it was required, trust young players and manage players.

"That all comes down to leadership and culture.

"A strong culture is the only way to sustain success.

"Talent and star players can win you the odd thing, but to have it sustained and repeated, it comes back to culture.

Some of the players will be moving on. But this will be reflected on as a special group of players and men.

"Without looking forward, I want to reflect on this group of people, men, players, staff.

"I think we will look back on this year’s team as a special team regardless.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... on-4373957
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan Warriors coach makes World Club Challenge admission

Post by josie andrews »

I would like it to be played here with a packed DW stadium full of Wigan fans to get behind the team.

If it goes to Australia, I probably won’t be able to attend as when we went in 2014, it cost almost as much to put all the cats & dogs in Cattery’s & kennels for six weeks. And now I also have rescued ex battery chickens to be looked after!

Although I would love to go back over to meet up with my many close friends over there who I haven’t seen since before Covid 🙁 especially the ones who live in Dubbo who I have been friends with for over 40 years who used to come over here every other year 🥰
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think we could fill the Etihad for it. There must have been 40,000 of us there on Saturday.
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

Let’s jump on the Vegas band wagon, get it played in Vegas the week before the NRL round 1.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:04 am I would like it to be played here with a packed DW stadium full of Wigan fans to get behind the team.

If it goes to Australia, I probably won’t be able to attend as when we went in 2014, it cost almost as much to put all the cats & dogs in Cattery’s & kennels for six weeks. And now I also have rescued ex battery chickens to be looked after!

Although I would love to go back over to meet up with my many close friends over there who I haven’t seen since before Covid 🙁 especially the ones who live in Dubbo who I have been friends with for over 40 years who used to come over here every other year 🥰
I agree Josie get it to the DW pack it out and frighten em to death with the noise,Vegas is another chase the dream type of affair chances are there'll be very few who go much like the England test in Denver a few years back.

As for going to Australia out of our league for sure as you say pet costs don't come cheap on top of expense of going then there's getting time off so no that's a non starter for us as well,plus let's be honest it's about time it was over here been a long time since it was.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

It’ll be in Australia. Penrith have already declined going to Vegas.

I’d love it to be at the DW though.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Jonathon Kerr (JK) wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:22 am Let’s jump on the Vegas band wagon, get it played in Vegas the week before the NRL round 1.
That would be very handy for me. Some of the Leigh players will probably still be there after missing their flights after the club sanctioned bender!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
🏆🏆🏆🏆
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors to explore Las Vegas as potential World Club Challenge location

The Warriors are keen to test the waters on a potential first-ever for the World Club Challenge.

Could Wigan Warriors head to Las Vegas for next year's World Club Challenge? It's certainly a thought that has crossed the mind of Wigan Warriors chief executive Kris Radlinski in the aftermath of their Super League Grand Final victory at the weekend.

The Warriors returned to the summit on Saturday after defeating Catalans Dragons at Old Trafford, their first Grand Final triumph in five years. As a result, the Warriors have now qualified for the World Club Challenge, where they will take on Penrith Panthers for the right to be crowned the best club team on the planet.

There's certainly a strong appetite for the game to take place, with both clubs keen to ensure the contest happens. The Panthers want to rectify last year's shortcomings, when they lost to St Helens, while Wigan are keen to test themselves against one of the greatest NRL teams of all time.

But the location of the contest needs to be determined. Wigan are more than willing to travel down under but having spoken to Radlinski, a Hall of Famer at Wigan, he tossed up the idea of taking the game to Las Vegas. Next year, the NRL season will begin in Sin City with a historic doubleheader in place at the 65,000-capacity Allegiant Stadium.

Manly Sea Eagles will take on South Sydney Rabbitohs while Sydney Roosters will battle it out with Brisbane Broncos. But when discussions take place this week, Radlinski is set to put the feelers out on adding a third game, which would see the best from Super League and the NRL battle it out in America.

The idea is still in its infancy and while there will likely be some logistical challenges, there's certainly plenty of logic behind it. It would add to what is an already excellent addition to the rugby league calendar, with a battle of the world's best likely to add to the appeal for those new to the sport.

From a travel perspective, it's a less strenuous commute for either club than travelling to the other side of the world. Flights tend to take around ten hours from the UK, significantly shorter than trips down under, and that will also make the trip financially more viable for some supporters too.

Taking the Super League brand to a new market has obvious benefits and there are even potential advantages for Super League clubs too. There's a feeling that forcing a team to have a bye week on the opening round of the season has a derogatory impact on their season, with other clubs having the opportunity to get back accustomed to the intensity of competitive action. The Las Vegas weekend is scheduled for the beginning of March, several weeks into the season, which could lower the size of that issue.

Whether Las Vegas organisers have an appetite for the proposal remains to be seen but it's clear that Wigan and Radlinski are keen to explore the possibility of making it a reality.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... d-27921918
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Please don’t Kris. Don’t take it away from Wigan fans who can’t go or can’t afford to travel outside of the UK.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Agreed, play it at Wigan!
Penrith played at home last year, their turn to travel.