Nene Macdonald ready for fresh start with Salford Red Devils move confirmed

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
josie andrews

Nene Macdonald ready for fresh start with Salford Red Devils move confirmed

Post by josie andrews »

Macdonald has signed a new long-term contract to join Paul Rowley's squad.

Nene Macdonald believes he is ready to begin a new chapter after putting pen to paper on a four-year contract with Salford Red Devils. The centre, who dramatically failed to return to Leeds Rhinos after being granted leave earlier this season, has been snapped up on a four-year contract.

Rugby League Live revealed earlier this month that Macdonald was taking up a deal with Salford after securing his release from the Rhinos. The Papua New Guinea international, who scored four tries in their victory over Cook Islands at the weekend, was one of Leeds' top performers during the season, making more metres than any other player in the team.

He becomes Salford's first confirmed signing for the campaign and he said: “Firstly, thank you to the coaching staff and everyone behind the scenes that helped me get this deal over the line. It is an exciting time for me to start a new chapter in my life, with a great team.

“I am excited to get out there for 2024 and the style of footy Salford play really suits me. It’s a great team that can push to play in finals and win some trophies. Thanks to a good friend of mine, Krisnan Inu for putting in a good word and letting me know nothing but good things about the club."

Macdonald will help offset the loss of Andy Ackers and Brodie Croft, who are both heading to Leeds, while Oli Partington could yet go to Warrington. The loss of key players is a blow to head coach Paul Rowley but he said: “Nene is a very significant addition to our team and I am looking forward to seeing him entertain our fans in 2024. I wanted to sign Nene two years ago – as he is very much my kind of athlete – so to eventually land him is fantastic.

Massive credit goes to Krisnan Inu for bringing this deal from start to finish to our table, materialising from the friendship and respect he has with Nene and his advisors. Myself, Kurt and Kris are looking forward to welcoming Nene to our group and helping him show his best in a Salford shirt!”

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/ru ... t-27921557
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
the pieman

Re: Nene Macdonald ready for fresh start with Salford Red Devils move confirmed

Post by the pieman »

does this say something about the current culture at Leeds?

Players leaving mid-season (Austin and Mcdonald), young players seemingly wanting out pretty quick (Walters) or Sezer back over to Oz, are ones i can think of, off the top of my head

from the outside it seemed to take an eternity for them to get the Croft deal done with Salford, with big money on the table. I know Croft may have been happy at Salford and not wanted to leave, but i reckon theres a chance he may not perform as well at Leeds as he has done for Salford (personal hunch)

Now we have McDonald who was granted leave for paternity and didnt show back up, but seems happy to go back to Salford