Morgan Smithies set for NRL move as Wigan Warriors forward heads down under

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
WarriorWinger

Re: Morgan Smithies set for NRL move as Wigan Warriors forward heads down under

Post by WarriorWinger »

As to Farrell signing and playing 13.

I suggested French to 13 when there was all the talk of where can we fit all the players in and was shot down for it.

Now people are suggesting a 30+ Farrell who has never played League since he was a kid, and as far as I am aware is not some big hulking forward type so would not be taking 30+ drives in a game which everyone kept saying French wold have to do if he switched to 13, to come in and replace Smithies

I get the sentiment of the name and possible hype, but for me the Yawnion bunch would just look at it as League is taking their old has been's, I don't recall many recent converts lasting in League for too long either, the intensity of the game is much brutal than Union so not sure he would take to it, unless we switch the way the 13 plays (as I suggested with French) and have him wider out as an extra pivot.

It's a NO from me but if it is a done deal then I will still support him and cheer him on.
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

WarriorWinger wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:02 am Maybe it was the club themselves being savvy signing Smithies on a long contract, knowing the NRL would eventually come knocking and therefore could/should demand a fee for releasing him from his contract.

I get it when people say they should honour their contracts and see them out and that the club are fools and always bend over backwards to let players go, but seriously there is also a human aspect to it.

Would you really say to someone who came to you and said they have been offered twice as much money (just a guess for dramatic purposes) to go and live in another country with great weather, and play in the best competition in the world in the job you love doing, would you seriously want to be the one who said 'no' your staying here I have a piece of paper that says you have to.
No, I would say that there are 13k fans who put a lot of faith, trust in you and offer their hard earned money each week, do you really want to disappoint them.
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

Hattster wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:11 am
WarriorWinger wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:02 am Maybe it was the club themselves being savvy signing Smithies on a long contract, knowing the NRL would eventually come knocking and therefore could/should demand a fee for releasing him from his contract.

I get it when people say they should honour their contracts and see them out and that the club are fools and always bend over backwards to let players go, but seriously there is also a human aspect to it.

Would you really say to someone who came to you and said they have been offered twice as much money (just a guess for dramatic purposes) to go and live in another country with great weather, and play in the best competition in the world in the job you love doing, would you seriously want to be the one who said 'no' your staying here I have a piece of paper that says you have to.
No, I would say that there are 13k fans who put a lot of faith, trust in you and offer their hard earned money each week, do you really want to disappoint them.
It's a team sport and no one player is the sum of the whole team, I support the team and the club as a collective, if we were solely supporting the players then Boston better dig his boots out as there are some old timers in the stands who used to watch him and he was their favourite player.

Players come and go, the club remains, support the club and the players collectively
Dreamteam

Post by Dreamteam »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:06 am
Dreamteam wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:37 pm
DaveO wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:17 pm

He’s breaking his contract so we have every right to be annoyed. He’s only 22 and is contracted to the end of 2025. So he’d be 24 or just turned 25 still in in his prime. Breaking a contract shows a lack of integrity.

It’s the same old story. Players happy to sign long term deals which guarantees them a pay packet but if the grass looks greener elsewhere, then they want to break their contract. Cake and eat it and Wigan let them have it.

Got ambition to play in th NRL? Then don’t sign a long contract. Signed a contract with Wigan? See it out. I don’t think it is too much to ask.

KPP’ didn’t demand to go this year and saw his contract out. Why can’t Smithies? With the new owners we presumably don’t need the money from a transfer fee but what is most disappointing is the new ownership didn’t just say “no” and hold him to his contract meaning Wigan remain a soft touch for talented players still making any contract signed meaningless.
Not a player we need to kick up a fuss about. Collect the big transfer fee and move on. Oneil can more than match it he moves to 13. Can’t remember a player that I’ve been less bothered about moving to the nrl tbh.
Clearly don’t watch or understand rugby then if that’s your honest view.
The club are transitioning him into a 13 in the next 2 seasons so I must know something
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Dreamteam wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:26 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:06 am
Dreamteam wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:37 pm

Not a player we need to kick up a fuss about. Collect the big transfer fee and move on. Oneil can more than match it he moves to 13. Can’t remember a player that I’ve been less bothered about moving to the nrl tbh.
Clearly don’t watch or understand rugby then if that’s your honest view.
The club are transitioning him into a 13 in the next 2 seasons so I must know something
I've said since Leeming signed he is not a bench warmer and O'Neill has kicked on a notch this year for sure so I can see that happening to be honest.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Blackpool_Pie wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:28 am
josie andrews wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:16 am
Blackpool_Pie wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:51 pm

No need for these sorts of statements Josie. Smithies is an exceptional player and is/was my current favourite player. I love his all action play and he's really grown, in my mind, into a top class 13 and I'm absolutely gutted he's leaving. But you can't be annoyed at a young man wanting to see what else their is outside Wigan and outside this league. The NRL is a completely different kettle of fish. Not only for him financially, but in terms of quality, exposure and a completely different lifestyle.
It’s a tongue in cheek remark, a joke 😂 or could you not understand that? And why, if I didn’t like a player, would I put his name on my shirt?

Last year I had KPP on & then he told me he was going to the NRL.

This year I put Smithies on, I’ve followed him all his academy days at Wigan & I am friends with him. I was always telling him he would get the shirt when Lockers retired & I was thrilled when he did get the 13 shirt. He should have got it when Lockers retired instead of giving it to Bateman if truth be known!

So please, don’t try & make my comment into something more than it is, a joke!
Apologies. No I didn't understand it was a joke.
Please do us all a favour next season

Please get someone's name on your shirt who we don't mind leaving for the NRL the season after :lol:
That’s why the joke was about putting Lockers back on my shirt. Did it for nigh on 20 years & no other.

May put French on at least I know he will go back sometime 🙁
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

WarriorWinger wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:14 am
Hattster wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:11 am

It's a team sport and no one player is the sum of the whole team, I support the team and the club as a collective, if we were solely supporting the players then Boston better dig his boots out as there are some old timers in the stands who used to watch him and he was their favourite player.

Players come and go, the club remains, support the club and the players collectively
I support the team first then the player/s I like. That’s why the tongue in cheek joke about putting Lockers back on my shirt 😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Agree with the earlier post if every play only played their contract length then Wigan wouldnt have any transfer fee's which is a great way to recoup money invested in development and put it toward new players

We dont know the situation Smithies could have told Rads et al im off in 2 years - the club get him to sign for 5 on the agreement he can look after 2 and they can claim a big transfer its risky but a lot of clubs use contract length to protect loss of an asset for free - Salford and croft is a great example
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I don’t want to labour the point, but signing for Canberra is not the same as signing for the Roosters. The winters are grim, and the place is dull dull dull. The lifestyle in Standish has more going for it than Canberra.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:30 pm I don’t want to labour the point, but signing for Canberra is not the same as signing for the Roosters. The winters are grim, and the place is dull dull dull. The lifestyle in Standish has more going for it than Canberra.
The competition is the best though - and the players are still superstars if they are at the top.

I think he will go well there - NRL is much more on attrition than Superleague and smithies has a ridiculously good engine on him
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure