Number 13

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Number 13

Post by Charriots Offiah »

southportcdm wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:30 pm Judging by Peet's comments today it doesn't look like we're in the market for anyone at the moment. Perhaps we're all getting excited for nothing. Wasn't there rumours about big news last Saturday? We can cover 13 if/when Smithies goes but, If he does go, I'd question how much better our squad will be in 2024 compared with this season This made me think about areas where we can make the improvements required to go back to back next season:

Despite some promising signings, we are losing players who made big contributions this season. If we consider the swaps of: Walters for KPP, Thompson for Smithies and Keighran for KIng is that really an improvement? If Walters continues to improve and Thompson stays fit the squad is improved but If Thompson doesn't stay fit we'll be worse off. Keighran may not be a better centre than KIng but he does give us another kicker. Cooper will not be available at the start of the season but may be useful later on if he recovers fully. Willie Isa is hanging in there and even Faz is starting to show signs of slowing down. I think we'll need to start giving Faz the odd game off. Leeming should be a useful addition, especially as we may not lose Powell which would allow Sam or O'Neil to cover 13 too. Chan is a 'project' so could go either way. Other positives could be the improved understanding/development of the Smith, French combo and the expected progress by Nsemba and Hill. I also hope that Mago will maintain his improved level of performance, Byrne can make more progress and Dupree will be fitter and more integrated. By the way, I don't think we'd have got to and won the GF without the Dupree signing. Keeping Hampshire is a plus (he'll be fit from the start of the season) and Eckersley will replace Thornley. We now also have a lot of players that have won the big one and that often leads to an improvement in performance. Overall then, it looks pretty promising but I'd prefer to keep Morgan or make just one more signing.
There seems a contradiction. Peet says we are not in the market yet Rads said, in the last couple of weeks there could be one or two more signings (I think Josie told me that?). My money is firmly on Rads :D
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:39 pm
southportcdm wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 4:30 pm Judging by Peet's comments today it doesn't look like we're in the market for anyone at the moment. Perhaps we're all getting excited for nothing. Wasn't there rumours about big news last Saturday? We can cover 13 if/when Smithies goes but, If he does go, I'd question how much better our squad will be in 2024 compared with this season This made me think about areas where we can make the improvements required to go back to back next season:

Despite some promising signings, we are losing players who made big contributions this season. If we consider the swaps of: Walters for KPP, Thompson for Smithies and Keighran for KIng is that really an improvement? If Walters continues to improve and Thompson stays fit the squad is improved but If Thompson doesn't stay fit we'll be worse off. Keighran may not be a better centre than KIng but he does give us another kicker. Cooper will not be available at the start of the season but may be useful later on if he recovers fully. Willie Isa is hanging in there and even Faz is starting to show signs of slowing down. I think we'll need to start giving Faz the odd game off. Leeming should be a useful addition, especially as we may not lose Powell which would allow Sam or O'Neil to cover 13 too. Chan is a 'project' so could go either way. Other positives could be the improved understanding/development of the Smith, French combo and the expected progress by Nsemba and Hill. I also hope that Mago will maintain his improved level of performance, Byrne can make more progress and Dupree will be fitter and more integrated. By the way, I don't think we'd have got to and won the GF without the Dupree signing. Keeping Hampshire is a plus (he'll be fit from the start of the season) and Eckersley will replace Thornley. We now also have a lot of players that have won the big one and that often leads to an improvement in performance. Overall then, it looks pretty promising but I'd prefer to keep Morgan or make just one more signing.
There seems a contradiction. Peet says we are not in the market yet Rads said, in the last couple of weeks there could be one or two more signings (I think Josie told me that?). My money is firmly on Rads :D
Yes he did 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

OF13
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

O. Faz.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Anyone who is not superstitious?
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Walters for KPP, Thompson for Smithies and Keighran for KIng is that really an improvement?
Improvement maybe not but in terms of realistic deals that’s probably the best case scenario if you accept all 3 were perhaps not able to be retained

I’ve been harsh about the clubs recruitment before now but you cannot complain about the players they are bringing in they are all good potentially great signings

I really don’t understand the problem with Farrell potentially signing I think it would be great for the game
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

If we are recruiting one / two more players I can see these being Owen Farrell and that player from Wakey
Back by demand.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

buttmonkey2 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:25 pm If we are recruiting one / two more players I can see these being Owen Farrell and that player from Wakey
What player from Wakey?
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

No13, as it is at the moment Luke Thompson.
Should we sign Owen Farrell then surely he would wear the shirt.
With his dad wearing the shirt, Lockers then perhaps Owen.
Bit a family thing all told!
Plenty publicity there I'd imagine.
WIGIAN

Post by WIGIAN »

Not sure I like the 'good for the game rhetoric' on Farrell , to be honest its more what's good for Wigan I care about. IF it happens I worry he'll be as big a square peg as his dad was in yawnion without time to adjust on his side. Maybe 5 years ago