Harry Smith

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
NICKYKISS

Re: Harry Smith

Post by NICKYKISS »

thegimble wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:31 am Smith is a great pressure kicker.

It's all about focus. Higher the stakes better he goes. Just needs to apply that mentality every kick.
He’s certainly given us food for thought. His goal kicking has been pretty poor all season but when we needed it most, he delivered and some. Maybe it is just a case of him needing that big game focus but whatever it is, I’m so pleased for him that he topped of a great season for him by ramming a few commentators digs about his goal kicking down their throats. Yes, he’s missed a few but Christ, they haven’t half gone on about it.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

NICKYKISS wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:19 pm

It's all about focus. Higher the stakes better he goes. Just needs to apply that mentality every kick.
He’s certainly given us food for thought. His goal kicking has been pretty poor all season but when we needed it most, he delivered and some. Maybe it is just a case of him needing that big game focus but whatever it is, I’m so pleased for him that he topped of a great season for him by ramming a few commentators digs about his goal kicking down their throats. Yes, he’s missed a few but Christ, they haven’t half gone on about it.
Good coaching has improved his technique.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:36 am

Good coaching has improved his technique.
From who?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaiJones

Post by DaiJones »

He’s been working with former England rugby fly half Paul Grayson apparently. I remember Sam Tomkins worked with Charlie Hodgson in his final season with us and his goal kicking improved immeasurably. I guess with goal kicks being so valuable in union they really concentrate on it.
Harry has missed a few kicks this year but in big games when it mattered he landed them and still kicked over 100 goals for us this season which plenty of kickers haven’t (admittedly this is partly because of the sheer number of tries we scored).
Next year Keighran will presumably be the number one kicker (unless a certain England fly half appears 😀) so the pressure will be off Harry and it may well be that when needed as a back up kicker he will be nigh on faultless
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

For me it was more the type of misses rather than the number of misses, he would slot them over from the touchline but miss a sitter from the side of the sticks which has cost us a win in some games.

In the regular season those kicks can sometimes be the difference between finishing top of the table or in third place, if I recall we lost some games due to poor kicking which if converted would have cemented our place at the top more easily. In the big games he has come through and handled the pressure so fair play to him, his stlye looks rushed and clumsy but it appears to be working for him at the moment, but for next season I would use Keiran as the main kicker and Smith for backup, taking a bit of pressure off him to concentrate on his game.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Anyone who watched Harry in his academy days knew he could score from all angles didn't really matter where the kick was taken so it is frustrating to see him struggling with his kicking let's hope he well,kicks on if you will in the coming seasons
Last edited by fozzieskem on Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:47 am Anyone who watched Harry in his academy days knew he could score from all angles didn't really matter where the lock was taken so it is frustrating to see him struggling with his kicking let's hope he well,kicks on if you will in the coming seasons
I thought the same fozzie 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:47 am Anyone who watched Harry in his academy days knew he could score from all angles didn't really matter where the lock was taken so it is frustrating to see him struggling with his kicking let's hope he well,kicks on if you will in the coming seasons
eggsackly :D
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I've never liked seeing players struggle when you know they can do the job being asked of them I just hope Harry's small,for the NRL at least size keeps them away from him the lads class has finally being seen week in and out don't need the Aussies rolling up tempting him away.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Wigan should secure Harry Smith for a 4 year contract as the NRL will wait a year and get a free transfer and that would be crazy . Lets hope he is a Wigan player at heart and not go to the NRL