Grand final winner rings

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
cumbria_warrior

Grand final winner rings

Post by cumbria_warrior »

Random question, how many actually get a grand final winners ring?
Hattster

Re: Grand final winner rings

Post by Hattster »

I think to qualify for a ring you have to have played a certain amount of games throughout the season....i could be wrong though!
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I think that the squad named for the final all get one but the club buy the rest of the squad one
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

It would be unfair on cust if only the squad on the day got one
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

I think 17 are given. And one for coach.
Don't think any more are made
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

Does Josie not know the answer to this one
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Suzieb wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:57 pm Does Josie not know the answer to this one
Will find out as soon as I can. Top staff are either on international duty or are on holidays just now.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I always thought it wasn’t just the finalist players who got a ring.

If it is just them then that’s stupid because it means the playoffs and resulting GF winners have won a separate competition and it’s supposed to be the culmination of a season’s efforts not two games!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:59 am I always thought it wasn’t just the finalist players who got a ring.

If it is just them then that’s stupid because it means the playoffs and resulting GF winners have won a separate competition and it’s supposed to be the culmination of a season’s efforts not two games!
I always thought the whole team who have contributed throughout the season were rewarded with a medal same a I feel they should for the Challenge Cup.

But I will try & find out about the rings.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

It's an interesting one this. I'd assumed that it was only the 17 who played on the day got a ring but that would mean that a player could play a major role in the season e.g. Byrne and not get a ring. On the other hand you may get somebody who's drafted in at the last minute, as nearly happened with Hill, who gets a ring. You could also argue that Hill played in the semi and if we'd not won that we wouldn't have been in the final or that Dupree 'only' played in nine games but was essential in our winning the competition. I'm not sure where I'd draw the line e.g. what if 5-6 youngsters had been given one start in a game when we'd rested most of the first team? I suppose the fairest thing would be to get a ring for everybody who'd played first team that season but does that devalue the ring? Would you sometimes get a situation where a player didn't think they deserved a ring?