Grand final winner rings

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Suzieb

Re: Grand final winner rings

Post by Suzieb »

I think that somehow everyone who is in the first team squad gets one i am at robin park on friday with my grandson from scotland i will ask the coaching staff
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

I always thought it was a certain amount of games you needed to play to get a ring. I’m sure the last time we won they purposely place someone on the last few games so he qualified
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

southportcdm wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:54 am It's an interesting one this. I'd assumed that it was only the 17 who played on the day got a ring but that would mean that a player could play a major role in the season e.g. Byrne and not get a ring. On the other hand you may get somebody who's drafted in at the last minute, as nearly happened with Hill, who gets a ring. You could also argue that Hill played in the semi and if we'd not won that we wouldn't have been in the final or that Dupree 'only' played in nine games but was essential in our winning the competition. I'm not sure where I'd draw the line e.g. what if 5-6 youngsters had been given one start in a game when we'd rested most of the first team? I suppose the fairest thing would be to get a ring for everybody who'd played first team that season but does that devalue the ring? Would you sometimes get a situation where a player didn't think they deserved a ring?
Not in my opinion. If anything if anyone who played during the season doesn't get a ring the thing that is devalued is the league.

This season we finished top of the league and in my opinion was a big reason why we went onto win the GF so all the players who helped us get there like Hill deserve a ring.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:17 am
southportcdm wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:54 am It's an interesting one this. I'd assumed that it was only the 17 who played on the day got a ring but that would mean that a player could play a major role in the season e.g. Byrne and not get a ring. On the other hand you may get somebody who's drafted in at the last minute, as nearly happened with Hill, who gets a ring. You could also argue that Hill played in the semi and if we'd not won that we wouldn't have been in the final or that Dupree 'only' played in nine games but was essential in our winning the competition. I'm not sure where I'd draw the line e.g. what if 5-6 youngsters had been given one start in a game when we'd rested most of the first team? I suppose the fairest thing would be to get a ring for everybody who'd played first team that season but does that devalue the ring? Would you sometimes get a situation where a player didn't think they deserved a ring?
Not in my opinion. If anything if anyone who played during the season doesn't get a ring the thing that is devalued is the league.

This season we finished top of the league and in my opinion was a big reason why we went onto win the GF so all the players who helped us get there like Hill deserve a ring.

That’s my opinion too Dave, all the players who have played in SL for their home club, have contributed to getting there.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
PoppaG

Post by PoppaG »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:36 am

That’s my opinion too Dave, all the players who have played in SL for their home club, have contributed to getting there.
I'd potentially disagree with that. The general principle is sound, but if you have a game where you send the kids somewhere and they get battered (KR to us as an example) - in that scenario they would all get a ring. But their only contribution would be having got turned over in one game. Granted by doing that they would have given the starting lineup a break, but that would have been to benefit them in the cup, not the league.

That said, I dont know what the answer is!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

PoppaG wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:48 am
josie andrews wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:36 am

I'd potentially disagree with that. The general principle is sound, but if you have a game where you send the kids somewhere and they get battered (KR to us as an example) - in that scenario they would all get a ring. But their only contribution would be having got turned over in one game. Granted by doing that they would have given the starting lineup a break, but that would have been to benefit them in the cup, not the league.

That said, I dont know what the answer is!
A ring for all the players was how it was done in Australia. I don't know if it still is but when we first switched to the GF it certainly was. I discussed it with an Aussie sports journalist and was told that was the case. I was saying I didn't like the playoff concept as it devalued the league and was told all the players got a ring in mitigation!
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

In the nrl each ring is numbered 1 to 17 and one for the coach. You also can't buy one. They say there cost is 10 thousand dollars each. Not savvy with downloading articles but if you Google 2023 grand final rings there's a good article explaining how there system for rings work.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:12 pm In the nrl each ring is numbered 1 to 17 and one for the coach. You also can't buy one. They say there cost is 10 thousand dollars each. Not savvy with downloading articles but if you Google 2023 grand final rings there's a good article explaining how there system for rings work.
They are numbered now. They didn't used to be and you could buy them. That is a new "innovation"
for 2023. If the article you refer to is the one I read, it states in the past you even had club officials walking around with GF winners rings which obviously went too far.
keptinthedarkfans

DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:39 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:12 pm In the nrl each ring is numbered 1 to 17 and one for the coach. You also can't buy one. They say there cost is 10 thousand dollars each. Not savvy with downloading articles but if you Google 2023 grand final rings there's a good article explaining how there system for rings work.
They are numbered now. They didn't used to be and you could buy them. That is a new "innovation"
for 2023. If the article you refer to is the one I read, it states in the past you even had club officials walking around with GF winners rings which obviously went too far.
Yes that's the one. I know it's new this year. I was under the impression we are talking about this years rings. although I appreciate it's the nrl way and doesn't follow we have gone same way. But still think only the17 squad players get a ring and coach. Otherwise we would need 30 plus rings. Also I am also sure a player once gave his ring to another player who missed the final but can't for the life of me think who.
keptinthedarkfans

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:56 pm
DaveO wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:39 pm
Yes that's the one. I know it's new this year. I was under the impression we are talking about this years rings. although I appreciate it's the nrl way and doesn't follow we have gone same way. But still think only the17 squad players get a ring and coach. Otherwise we would need 30 plus rings. Also I am sure a player once gave his ring to another player who missed the final but can't for the life of me think who.