Cade Cust confirms Wigan Warriors departure: 'I've enjoyed every moment'

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Cade Cust confirms Wigan Warriors departure: 'I've enjoyed every moment'

Post by josie andrews »

Cade Cust has confirmed his exit from Wigan Warriors following the completion of the 2023 Super League campaign.

The 25-year-old Australian has announced his departure from the DW Stadium via social media following a two-year stint.

Having joined from NRL’s Manly Sea Eagles ahead of 2022, Cust made 40 appearances under head coach Matt Peet, scoring six tries.

He started in last year’s Challenge Cup triumph over Huddersfield Giants at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, later forced from the field with an elbow injury during the 16-14 win.

Cust featured in the opening six rounds of 2023 but was sidelined ahead of the clash against rivals Leigh Leopards due to a neck injury and later struggled to return to the halves with Bevan French shifted from the wing to partner Harry Smith.

He made a total of 14 Super League appearances in 2023, registering one try and four assists, as Wigan claimed the League Leaders’ Shield.

The one-time Indigenous All Stars representative was also a part of the reserves side that defeated St Helens 24-0 in the Grand Final alongside first team players Iain Thornley, Ryan Hampshire, Junior Nsemba and Joe Shorrocks.

I'd like to say a massive thank you to Wigan Warriors for the past two years, to the coaching staff, the players and most importantly the fans,” Cust wrote on Instagram.

“I've enjoyed every moment and have made some lifelong mates along the way which I'll be forever grateful for.

"I've gained some amazing memories in this jersey which I'll never forget.

“Thank you.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... nt-4384241
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Cade Cust confirms Wigan Warriors departure: 'I've enjoyed every moment'

Post by fozzieskem »

Always felt there are many ways to leave a club,this is how you do it for me absolutely class from the lad others should look and see and learn from this departure I wish him every success wherever he ends up.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:17 am Always felt there are many ways to leave a club,this is how you do it for me absolutely class from the lad others should look and see and learn from this departure I wish him every success wherever he ends up.
Yes Fozzie, Champion player, Champion guy. Gutted it didn’t work out for him he’s been an excellent person on & off the field. The way he celebrated the GF win with the other players was class.

Wishing him nothing but the best for his future.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

WIGAN WARRIORS playmaker Cade Cust to move to Salford Red Devils

WIGAN WARRIORS playmaker Cade Cust will be a Salford Red Devils player in 2024.

League Express understands that the 26-year-old has signed for the Lancashire club following Brodie Croft’s exit from Salford.

Cust did have an option to extend his current Wigan contract into 2024, but the Warriors did not take him up on that considering the form of Bevan French at halfback and Brad O’Neill at hooker.

The playmaker confirmed his Wigan exit last night on social media.

“I’d like to say a massive thank you to Wigan Warriors for the past two years, to the coaching staff, the players and most importantly the fans,” Cust posted on Instagram.

“I’ve enjoyed every moment and have made some lifelong mates along the way which I’ll be forever grateful for.

“I’ve gained some amazing memories in this jersey which I’ll never forget.

Thank you

https://www.totalrl.com/wigan-warriors- ... ed-devils/
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

I always took a shine to him. He seemed to throw himself into the whole ethos of club and town.
He was going along Ok for his first season he had a big part to play in our challenge cup victory he was great in the semi vs Saints. He never seemed the same after his injury and I hope he gets back to his best next year. His actions in the build up and after the GF win seemed selfless and with a touch of sadness I wish the lad all the very best going forward.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

lucky 13 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:47 am I always took a shine to him. He seemed to throw himself into the whole ethos of club and town.
He was going along Ok for his first season he had a big part to play in our challenge cup victory he was great in the semi vs Saints. He never seemed the same after his injury and I hope he gets back to his best next year. His actions in the build up and after the GF win seemed selfless and with a touch of sadness I wish the lad all the very best going forward.
+1
A top, top bloke. If anyone deserves to go on and have a successful career it's Cade. Good luck and thank you.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Played really well till his elbow injury.Always a smile on his face and hope he smashes it at salford
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Absolutely the right decision to move him on, French to 6 was a master stroke.

Great fella and think he’ll do well at Salford
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors can confirm that stand-off, Cade Cust, will leave the Club following a two-year spell.

Cust joined the Warriors ahead of the 2022 campaign from Manly Warringah Sea Eagles. The half has gone on to play 40 games for the Cherry & Whites, scoring six tries.

Cust was influential in the Warriors 2022 Challenge Cup victory which saw him dislocate an elbow before going on to lift the trophy. The 25-year-old also added a League Leaders’ Shield to his tally in 2023.

Though not selected to play in the 2023 Betfred Super League Grand Final, Cust was a key part of the 2023 squad that were crowned Champions.

Speaking on Cust’s departure, Chief Executive Kris Radlinski said: “I would personally like to thank Custy for the way he has approached his stay with Wigan. Not everything has gone his way but he has shown outstanding personal attributes.

“He wholeheartedly committed to our Club. In the changing rooms after every game, you do not know if he has played or been left out, he has always been happy for the team first, putting personal disappointment to one side.”

Radlinski added: “The attitude he displayed when not getting selected for the First team but instead playing for the Reserve Team builds Clubs and he is an outstanding example to younger players.

“I am intensely confident that his teammates will vouch for his resilient character. He will always be welcomed with huge respect into our Club and he is the kind of bloke you would love to catch up with for a beer.”

Wigan Warriors wish Cade Cust the best of luck in his future endeavours

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2023/10/ ... -warriors/
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I agree with all the sentiments above and wish the lad all the best.

Could I ask where this leaves us re overseas quota? Was his departure already factored in?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐