Owen Farrell

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
josie andrews

Re: Owen Farrell

Post by josie andrews »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:14 am Our forwards look pretty formidable for next season and I don't envy Matt Peet in making team selections if most of them remain fit.

What, though, are our options in the backs? Numbers 1 to 7 look nailed on with Keighran replacing King. Beyond that, from last year's squad, we have Eckersley, Douglas, Thornley and Hampshire as cover now that Cust and Astley have left, other than the 'part-time' backs like Isa, Farrell, Shorrocks.

Fantastic what we are doing in the forwards but are we a bit thin in the backs if/when injuries occur?
Thornley has supposedly signed for Wakefield
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:32 am
Fan4Fifty wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:14 am Our forwards look pretty formidable for next season and I don't envy Matt Peet in making team selections if most of them remain fit.

What, though, are our options in the backs? Numbers 1 to 7 look nailed on with Keighran replacing King. Beyond that, from last year's squad, we have Eckersley, Douglas, Thornley and Hampshire as cover now that Cust and Astley have left, other than the 'part-time' backs like Isa, Farrell, Shorrocks.

Fantastic what we are doing in the forwards but are we a bit thin in the backs if/when injuries occur?
Thornley has supposedly signed for Wakefield
Thanks for the update Josie - didn't know that but makes the options even more limited. Any news on Hampshire's future?
PoppaG

Post by PoppaG »

Thought I'd read that he'd signed on to go round again
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

PoppaG wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:42 am Thought I'd read that he'd signed on to go round again
Hampshire has.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:40 pm
PoppaG wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:42 am Thought I'd read that he'd signed on to go round again
Hampshire has.
Thanks for confirming. Would we also expect that the likes of Farrimond will get a squad number and behind a bigger pack be more likely to get game time, if, for example, Harry Smith were unavailable?
Charriots Offiah

Fan4Fifty wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:49 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:40 pm
Hampshire has.
Thanks for confirming. Would we also expect that the likes of Farrimond will get a squad number and behind a bigger pack be more likely to get game time, if, for example, Harry Smith were unavailable?
I doubt that but I can see the lad going to another club on dual registration terms. He is a cracking player but he needs to developed carefully. I think 2025 is more likely but I suppose you can never say never.
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:37 am Just to add a bit of context, pre Nsemba & Eseh Jr signing, I was told there is still plenty of cap space available, so whoever mentioned a big signing that isn't Farrell it may still be possible. I read an article somewhere I cant remember where (apologies) and it stated that Wigan still have a marquee spot unused (not sure I can believe that however) Id assume we are close to the cap with the squad we have but there may be a few clever loopholes being utilised.

Heard nothing more on Farrell but its pretty strange the level of chat that's around the move and the usual media suspects are staying quiet, it almost seems like they have been embargoed by the club, Matthew Shaw is never usually this quiet when it comes to the big deals/rumours of.
Matt Shaw doesn’t think it’s happening
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

The Pearl1 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:26 am
Dan2266 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:37 am Just to add a bit of context, pre Nsemba & Eseh Jr signing, I was told there is still plenty of cap space available, so whoever mentioned a big signing that isn't Farrell it may still be possible. I read an article somewhere I cant remember where (apologies) and it stated that Wigan still have a marquee spot unused (not sure I can believe that however) Id assume we are close to the cap with the squad we have but there may be a few clever loopholes being utilised.

Heard nothing more on Farrell but its pretty strange the level of chat that's around the move and the usual media suspects are staying quiet, it almost seems like they have been embargoed by the club, Matthew Shaw is never usually this quiet when it comes to the big deals/rumours of.
Matt Shaw doesn’t think it’s happening
Farrell is to important to union for them to be letting him go they'll need his experience and like shelob in lord of the rings it's hard to get out of the web of money that he's on over there.

Shaw is rarely wrong that's for sure
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Having watched him closely again last night I just don't see him being big enough for a 13 despite all his other qualities. I'm sure he's bigger than e.g. Shorrocks but he can't be more than 14 stone which would be borderline. I know lots of people will say that our Faz (Ginger Pearl) isn't very big but he's exceptional in other areas. Does anybody have an accurate playing weight for Owen?
Charriots Offiah

southportcdm wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 2:22 pm Having watched him closely again last night I just don't see him being big enough for a 13 despite all his other qualities. I'm sure he's bigger than e.g. Shorrocks but he can't be more than 14 stone which would be borderline. I know lots of people will say that our Faz (Ginger Pearl) isn't very big but he's exceptional in other areas. Does anybody have an accurate playing weight for Owen?
6’ 2”, 14st lbs.