Smithies Gone

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Brennox7

Re: Smithies Gone

Post by Brennox7 »

Makes sense that we have signed Thompson as a 13 now.

Good player Smithies, solid. But if we get a fit and firing Thompson at Loose, I won’t be too fussed with Morgan leaving.

Good luck to him, sure he will go well.

We must have strong ties with the raiders that’s 4 players they’ve had of us now. Bateman, Williams, Rushton and Smithies
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Has to be said I'm more worried about Harry Smith catching the eye of NRL clubs he looked very comfortable in international games for me without my Wigan rose tinted specs he's the best of the halfbacks on show can't help but feel he will be next,after welsby of the young guns of English rugby league
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Brennox7 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:05 pm We must have strong ties with the raiders that’s 4 players they’ve had of us now. Bateman, Williams, Rushton and Smithies
I don't think we have any ties to a club that has prised our players away mid-contract. I am sure Wigan would rather the Raiders developed their own players and don't want anything to do with them.

It is Ultra Management, the sports agency rub by Sam Ayoub that has ties with the Raiders and placed Smithies with them. I am going to hazard a guess it was Ayoub who did the same with those other players.

He and Ultra Management make money by players moving clubs. Given the number of players who do go down-under but have come back homesick it makes you wonder what comes first. The best interests of the player of the $$ the agency earns from securing a move for a player.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:18 pm Has to be said I'm more worried about Harry Smith catching the eye of NRL clubs he looked very comfortable in international games for me without my Wigan rose tinted specs he's the best of the halfbacks on show can't help but feel he will be next,after welsby of the young guns of English rugby league
If the World Club Championship doesn't happen, I would not be sorry. It's just a shop window for Australian clubs to have a closer look at our players.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

IMG and the RFLs biggest challenge is to change the mentality that the NRL is the next step in their Carrer.

As this is the RFL we are screwed.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Brennox7 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:05 pm Makes sense that we have signed Thompson as a 13 now.

Good player Smithies, solid. But if we get a fit and firing Thompson at Loose, I won’t be too fussed with Morgan leaving.

We must have strong ties with the raiders that’s 4 players they’ve had of us now. Bateman, Williams, Rushton and Smithies
Plus Sutton
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

Gutted that he’s going, he’s been a really good player for us and was only getting better. Wish him all the luck in the future and like people have said I think he will go very well. Not sure Canberra is the most exciting place if you’re moving to the NRL but in fairness I’m no travel guide.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Good luck to Morgan. He really came on this season.
Still if it doesn’t work out for him, we shouldn’t be letting comeback with open arms.
That needs to stop!!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:21 am Well at least there is no mention in the press release of what a compliment it pays Wigan that NRL clubs come after our players or that we have first refusal if he comes back and other similar b/s. One of the most annoying things over previous such exits was the false gloss Wigan tried to paint over them which fooled very few.

At least this time what Rads states is true i.e. “...we worked diligently on our recruitment process to ensure that we had appropriate cover for his pending departure."

so the impact of him going is lessened but as for this:

" Subsequently, we have now agreed to release him. "

That implies if the clubs recruitment efforts had not come off they would not have agreed to release him. Given the club has never yet had the balls to hold a player to a contract I am not convinced they would have refused.

Hard to say how much of a hole this leaves. He was just coming into being a very fine player with his overall game developing. His 55 tackles in the GF is a hard act for anyone to follow but at least the club has recruited some good players one of whom hopefully will step up.

I think he will be a success over there and good luck to him.
I agree with Dave. I have not got a problem with players moving on at the end of their contracts but it annoys me no end when we let players leave before they have expired just because the NRL has knocked on the door.

After saying that, I wish Morgan all the best.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Brennox7 wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:05 pm Makes sense that we have signed Thompson as a 13 now.

Ryan Sutton too!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan