2024 Squad numbers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: 2024 Squad numbers

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:48 pm I think squad numbers have been used as a reflection on what a player has achieved the season before. It will be fascinating to see how Peet goes about handing them out among the props. If we give 13 to Thompson, then I would rate the other props (if fully fit) in this order: Havard - Ellis - Dupree - Mago - Cooper - Byrne - Hill. However, this is on the basis of the Mago we saw for the last month of 23, as opposed to before then, and assuming Cooper can reach his potential after his long injury break. If Peet values overall contribution, then mid season Byrne may be rated more highly than recent joiner Dupree, one month wonder Mago and injured veteran Cooper.

I can’t remember a Wigan where our 7th prop (8th is Thompson plays there, or indeed 9th, if Chan is any good and plays prop) was as good as Hill…

How can you put Byrne at the bottom of your list of senior prop performances for last season when he carried the team for the majority of the year on his own with his own niggling injuries ?? Which at the back end of the year broke down for him to miss out the last couple of weeks!

He’d be the first prop IMO on the list.

And where is Nsemba?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Wintergreen wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 8:34 pm
No straw damn us wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:32 pm I'd just get rid of squad numbers and use 1-17 in their positions on the day. The Aussies still do it and fans could still have their favourite players name on their shirt. If they want a number use their heritage number.
So would I.
Yep ,its the only way for me
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Hattster

Post by Hattster »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 7:32 pm I'd just get rid of squad numbers and use 1-17 in their positions on the day. The Aussies still do it and fans could still have their favourite players name on their shirt. If they want a number use their heritage number.
Yep, so would I
Welski

Post by Welski »

It’s a subtle thing but having squad numbers to me says it’s about the players, 1-17 on the day says it’s about the team.
Strongest Armpits in Rugby League
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Why is it everyone thinks because Aussies do it so should we. Squad shirts have worked for Wigan and part of club heritage for decades why change it never heard players moaning about it. Only fans. No suprise there then it must be right.
Brennox7

Post by Brennox7 »

I do agree squad numbers are great as some come with history (7 & 13) for Wigan especially but also gives fans an indication of what the coach thinks is his strongest side at the beginning of the season.

For some players it comes with pressure I’d imagine or on the flip side recognition! IMO of course
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:06 am
Why is it everyone thinks because Aussies do it so should we. Squad shirts have worked for Wigan and part of club heritage for decades why change it never heard players moaning about it. Only fans. No suprise there then it must be right.
I’m sick of doing everything the Aussies do! This try/no try on the field referred to the VR for that person to decide for or against!

Six again! Half the time no one knows what they are for & shouldn’t be given if you’re still in your own half, should be a penalty as half the time six again isn’t worth it. IMO of course 😊

Oh, and keep squad numbers with players names on the back. 😊 That’s one of the reasons I stopped watching NRL, didn’t know who was playing half the time once the game started.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Have they?

Wow there's me thinking RL existed before 1996
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:22 am
Have they?

Wow there's me thinking RL existed before 1996
????????? Wigans heritage started 1872
moto748

Post by moto748 »

As I recall, *some* NRL sides run 1 to 17, but most don't. I like 1 to 17 myself, but it's hardly something to get worked up about.