Harry's kick

Got something to discuss about RL in general? Then this is the place to post it.
ian.birchall

Harry's kick

Post by ian.birchall »

Did no one else see the kick from Harry Smith leading to Newmans try?
I expected to see several comments on it, bullet speed and bullet accuracy, absolutely amazing.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
medlocke

Re: Harry's kick

Post by medlocke »

Yes it was fantastic, his pass at the start of that passage of play was also top class
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Harry had a cracking series, kicking game was fantastic.
I didn’t think he was good enough for England but he seems more than capable and he looked quite comfortable.
Love getting proved wrong!!!
Flash

Post by Flash »

Spectacular kick! To see the opportunity from unstructured play and to execute as accurately as that was as good as I've seen on a rugby pitch. The flatness of the kick shows what a talent he is. Other players could get the ball there but few could have done it as quickly as Harry did. The rugby equivalent of a David Beckham pass.
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

medlocke wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:47 am Yes it was fantastic, his pass at the start of that passage of play was also top class
+1
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

i was stood on the nice and dry Western terrace on Saturday.

was quite good to hear so many compliments from fans of other clubs (mainly our Yorkshire friends) about Harry, including some constructive criticism / discussion around his lack of pace. i think all of the ones i heard commenting loved the way he controlled the game / kicking options on last tackle

now onto the kick / try, if that had been scored in another form of Rugby, it would have been all over the BBC news, national newspapers and social media. I have seen quite a few fan pushing it on twitter, but the RFL again let themselves down. Skills like that should be used to showcase the game. If we had scored that try without the kick, it would have been a classy try, with some lovely handling down the narrow side, but add in the sublime bit of skill and we should be seeing that (and other trys like it) all over social media / TV in the build up to next season
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Agree about the kick and his other contributions. I was also impressed with his defence. He made a number of important tackles, but there was one about 5 yards in from the left touchline, one-on-one, on a bloke much bigger than him (aren't they all?) that I thought was crucial. Help did arrive, but the initial tackle was all down to Harry and stopped a potential breakaway.

(Sorry but I remember patterns of games, but not all the details of individual incidents, so I appreciate I might not be clear. Don't know what minute it was or even which half, or who he tackled.)
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Barney841 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:53 am Harry had a cracking series, kicking game was fantastic.
I didn’t think he was good enough for England but he seems more than capable and he looked quite comfortable.
Love getting proved wrong!!!
Some players just look as comfortable at a higher level as they do at club level. Lockers was a classic case. Top class international player as well as top club player. If Harry Smith is following in his footsteps, great.

Some players can look good at club level but not so hot at International level. I always thought Sinfield was a good example of this. Never did much in internationals.