Owen Farrell

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Caboosegg

Re: Owen Farrell

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:47 am
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:30 pm
bonbon wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 2:39 pm I'd have him in a heartbeat, imagine the publicity for Wigan and Rugby League. The prodical son returns home.
Sadly though as his status can't be utilised without impacting the Cap bar the rugby media itself it won't do much.
That’s only benefits to the player, not the club…

If he comes to Wigan, it clearly won’t be for the money, so I don’t see this as being an issue.
It does benefit the sport though, people for whatever reason gravitate towards celebrities even minor ones.

The chase tv program showed the issue for me. Lockers is a household name in rugby league but with no wider exposure when asked at the time who the captain of the England rugby league team was (with 4 options) neither the contestant or the chaser had any clue.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:36 pm

Sadly though as his status can't be utilised without impacting the Cap bar the rugby media itself it won't do much.

If he comes to Wigan, it clearly won’t be for the money, so I don’t see this as being an issue.
It does benefit the sport though, people for whatever reason gravitate towards celebrities even minor ones.

The chase tv program showed the issue for me. Lockers is a household name in rugby league but with no wider exposure when asked at the time who the captain of the England rugby league team was (with 4 options) neither the contestant or the chaser had any clue.
Surely Wigan will benefit from it too?

There will be the initial media exposure both nationally and internationally. The club should be using that to attract new sponsors to the club. We've had the debate on here a few times about the last nationally recognised player (Scully with the Gillette ads), and how RL has right royally screwed up in that regards by preventing players from earning outside of the cap. He should be on as many TV ads as we can get him on, and if his salary doesnt count year 1, let the lad earn what he can and bring in some big name sponsors to RL with it
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 5:36 pm

Isn't it George Williams? Frankly, I'm not sure they play so infrequently with such massive changes everytime they do. It didn't really look like an international side this time around. They were good enough though.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

I think he'll stay in Union and go round again until the next World Cup.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Wintergreen wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:34 pm I think he'll stay in Union and go round again until the next World Cup.
I doubt it he would be 36 then and while in the past this wouldnt be an issue Union has significantly improved in athleticism and i cant imagine he'd be first pick for England then
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:47 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:34 pm I think he'll stay in Union and go round again until the next World Cup.
I doubt it he would be 36 then and while in the past this wouldnt be an issue Union has significantly improved in athleticism and i cant imagine he'd be first pick for England then
Funnily enough I think he would be union fit for the next world cup but the lions tour surely with his dad in charge would be a hell of a drawn to hm?
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Not aware of anything being signed on this deal but that's not to say there hasn't been.

Farrell and Wigan have had an agreement on a contract for months should he decide to make the switch to League, I'm not too sure of the logistics of a deal between Saracens & Wigan, whether its a transfer fee or a release, I'm not even aware of any talks between the two if I'm being completely honest.

Haven't heard anything RE a potential announcement either but Josie is way more informed than I am.

Wigan still remain confident he will make the switch as far as I'm aware, seen a few people saying he has signed and that may well be the case but all I can comment on is what I know to have happened and that's just an agreement between the two for now.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Dan2266 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:16 am Not aware of anything being signed on this deal but that's not to say there hasn't been.

Farrell and Wigan have had an agreement on a contract for months should he decide to make the switch to League, I'm not too sure of the logistics of a deal between Saracens & Wigan, whether its a transfer fee or a release, I'm not even aware of any talks between the two if I'm being completely honest.

Haven't heard anything RE a potential announcement either but Josie is way more informed than I am.

Wigan still remain confident he will make the switch as far as I'm aware, seen a few people saying he has signed and that may well be the case but all I can comment on is what I know to have happened and that's just an agreement between the two for now.
Its a good point re Saracens its easy to forget there is a club involved in union with the focus so heavily on international

For me its last chance saloon for Farrell to switch, personally i think had he won the world cup he would have come but maybe there is a question in his mind if he can tick that box, but i cant see him coming to Wigan at 37

he's won pretty much everything barring a world cup in union so its hard to see why there would be such a draw in 4 six nations over 3.

He must also know to make any impact in league he would need to switch now considering his age - and i cant imagine he wants to tick a box he wil want to win
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Whether Owen has signed or will sign I've no idea.

When he's looking to the future then I'd deduce that he would seek out a coaching career, most likely in Union. For successful coaches in their game he needs look no further than his father. Beyond his dad there's Shaun Edwards who when reading the press the England people at Twickenham would have liked as England coach above Borthwick. They delayed and Shaun E had re-signed with France. It won't have gone unnoticed by Owen that Mike Forshaw has now gone from Sale to be Wales' defence coach.
The common theme obviously is they played League at the Highest level.

Should Owen want to get the best Rugby CV there is when his time to look for a coaching job arises then perhaps two or three years playing at the top of Rugby League would be what he should consider. No doubt there'd be clubs who'd take him on anyway. To get the best club coaching roles then maybe a spell in League would be just what he needs.
JimmyMagnets

Post by JimmyMagnets »

Never going to happen. Feel free to quote this if it does :D