Owen Farrell

Got a hot rumour from a source inside the club, or just something you heard down the pub? Then what are you waiting for, post it on The Rumour Mill.
Wintergreen

Re: Owen Farrell

Post by Wintergreen »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:09 am
Bobby-WRL wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:55 pm Would you class the person who told you as a reliable source Josie?
I was told by someone within the club that Wigan and Danson have spoken to him.
Yes I would say that, but I’m starting to think I should keep things I’m told to myself again 😕
Don't be daft!

This is a RUMOUR mill. It would be boring if everything had to be cast iron!!!!
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:47 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:34 pm I think he'll stay in Union and go round again until the next World Cup.
I doubt it he would be 36 then and while in the past this wouldnt be an issue Union has significantly improved in athleticism and i cant imagine he'd be first pick for England then
Wasn't Sexton 37?
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 10:26 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:47 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 8:34 pm I think he'll stay in Union and go round again until the next World Cup.
I doubt it he would be 36 then and while in the past this wouldnt be an issue Union has significantly improved in athleticism and i cant imagine he'd be first pick for England then
Wasn't Sexton 37?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors fans’ hopes of signing Owen Farrell crushed

"A rugby union legend for England, Farrell came up short of World Cup glory at the semi-final stage despite a superb performance against South Africa from the Fly-half.

The Wigan born star has often been linked to Wigan and fans believed after the World Cup he would join Wigan and Smithies departure sent the rumours and the hopes of Wigan fans into absolute overdrive.

However, it would immediately seem that those hopes had been emphatically ended with an images immediately emerging of Farrell back at Saracens after the World Cup.

One fan said, “That’s not a Wigan kit,” whilst another said, “I thought he was signing for Wigan.”

Since then, Farrell has made his return to the pitch with Saracens featuring against Leicester Tigers on Saturday. This would be a very odd move if he was set to make the switch.

Furthermore, it is understood that there was never any formal interest from Wigan in the England flyhalf meaning the dreams of Wigan fans were just dreams. A case of putting two and two together and getting five.

The question will likely persist however until Farrell formerly retires from rugby. It would be a major moment for British rugby league if Wigan or indeed any club could acquire his services but that will likely never happen.

Now would have been the moment for Farrell, after a World Cup and replacing Morgan Smithies. But his committed to the 15 man code remains the same. He has shown he is still committed to Saracens and reports have also emerged revealing that he is still in plans for the next World Cup in 2027 down under.

After that, there may be a small window of opportunity to make the switch but by then the moment could have well and truly passed us all by.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-wa ... own-84541/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

If a deal is already signed for Farrell, it makes 0 sense to wait until December and let him continue playing at Saracens. On that basis I don’t think anything is signed.

A few have posted that there is an offer on the table / discussions ongoing which could explain why he has gone back to Saracen’s. That being said, the end of the World Cup would have surely been a natural end to his life in Rugby Union so unsure what is actually going on.

Maybe there’s a lot more complicated things going on behind the scenes which makes 1 of the above scenarios possible but I just don’t see it happening.

It would be great for rugby league but for Wigan and on the pitch specifically I really do not see him playing 13. He’s played most of his Union career at fly half which is most similar to 7 and some at inside centre which is most similar to 6 and maybe centre?

I just don’t see how that translates to a 13 other than the role Sinfield did at Leeds. All other 13s are either “modern day middles” or ball playing forwards.

He’d most suit 7 or 6 but we’ve just won the grand final with Smith and French so why change a winning formula?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
The Pearl1

Post by The Pearl1 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:52 am Wigan Warriors fans’ hopes of signing Owen Farrell crushed

"A rugby union legend for England, Farrell came up short of World Cup glory at the semi-final stage despite a superb performance against South Africa from the Fly-half.

The Wigan born star has often been linked to Wigan and fans believed after the World Cup he would join Wigan and Smithies departure sent the rumours and the hopes of Wigan fans into absolute overdrive.

However, it would immediately seem that those hopes had been emphatically ended with an images immediately emerging of Farrell back at Saracens after the World Cup.

One fan said, “That’s not a Wigan kit,” whilst another said, “I thought he was signing for Wigan.”

Since then, Farrell has made his return to the pitch with Saracens featuring against Leicester Tigers on Saturday. This would be a very odd move if he was set to make the switch.

Furthermore, it is understood that there was never any formal interest from Wigan in the England flyhalf meaning the dreams of Wigan fans were just dreams. A case of putting two and two together and getting five.

The question will likely persist however until Farrell formerly retires from rugby. It would be a major moment for British rugby league if Wigan or indeed any club could acquire his services but that will likely never happen.

Now would have been the moment for Farrell, after a World Cup and replacing Morgan Smithies. But his committed to the 15 man code remains the same. He has shown he is still committed to Saracens and reports have also emerged revealing that he is still in plans for the next World Cup in 2027 down under.

After that, there may be a small window of opportunity to make the switch but by then the moment could have well and truly passed us all by.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/wigan-wa ... own-84541/
SARL articles aren’t worth posting Josie. They just make things up and have no sources.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

I'd agree with that summary pearl1

About 2 thirds of what they post is old, after the fact stuff that been reported months prior and is non-related to the story your attempting to read. The rest just unconfirmed speculation that's about as reliable as public forum for "news"

The standard of the site RL reporting is shocking to say the least!

Back to Mr Farrell. My thoughts are that whatever we as fans think, Owen IS currently contracted to Saracens

We have no divine right to waive a wand and expect Saracens to release him because we are Wigan, any less than we expected KPP to fulfil his contracts before he left for Newcastle or received suitable compensation from Canberra before allowing Smithies to go

This is all on Farrell. If he wants a new challenge and sees this as his last chance to play for his home town club then I'll guess talks will be ongoing until Saracens are happy with the compensation (transfer fee) Wigan offer them
Back by demand.
Stanfax

Post by Stanfax »

I'd agree about SARL as well. If only because when drawing up a timeline of Wigan 13s, they completely miss out Phil Clarke between Hanley and Farrell. While his fashion sense is often criticised (rightly IMO!), he was an underrated loose forward before he went to the Roosters.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I think its now or never for the Farrell idea any older than he is now and he wouldnt contribute anything
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:08 am I think its now or never for the Farrell idea any older than he is now and he wouldnt contribute anything
That's assuming he's offer anything meaningful now I'm not against the lad at all but I'm a cynic at 32 years old having played union all of his life it's a massive ask for anyone..

Now if he'd have signed 5 years back well that's a different story isn't it