Sam Powell Has Left The Club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Sam Powell Has Left The Club

Post by DaveO »

Wes wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:55 pm He’s arguably joined another top side, a lot on here said top sides wouldn’t touch him, go figure🤷
It is a bit of a mystery. If he plays for them like he did for us I will be very happy!
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:12 pm Well I’m personally gutted! Along with the other players, Cust & Thornley who have left the club.

The fans who have appreciated their contribution to Wigan warriors have not had the chance to thank them for being Warriors, to say goodbye & wish them Good Luck.

Although I have spoke personally to Thornley.
There is no room for sentiment in pro sport Josie. Of the three you mention only Cust could come back to haunt us if he regains fitness. I am sure all three are top blokes but the other two won’t.be missed on the field.

As to no opportunity to thank them I think with Powell he had the option to stay but decided to leave after the season had ended. Cust was bound to leave give the quota and Thornley like Cust wasn’t playing and hardly played all season so i am not sure how the club could have organised it for any of them.
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

Sam came across as a decent human being and worked his socks off for the team. Unfortunately he isn’t and never will be a top hooker, this is borne out by the fact the club have let him leave.
I wish him well at wherever he ends up and thank him for his efforts with us.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:29 pm Win win situation all round. He said himself he was unlikely to get a game in front of Leeming and O’Neil so presumably he’s gone somewhere he thinks he will get a game. Wise move at 31.

Wigan have moved on an average player, improved the no 9 position with O’Neil and Leeming and Powell is off the salary cap. Hopefully our other young hooker who’s name escapes me who is supposed to be very good now doesn’t see three senior players in front of him and may well start to get games if either of the other two are injured.
I think it was right for Sam to move on however, I am not convinced that our hooking options have improved, I hope Leeming proves me wrong. I would have been far happier had we promoted Forber. The plus side is that it frees up some salary cap.
Charriots Offiah

Firestarter wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:43 pm
DaveO wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:29 pm Win win situation all round. He said himself he was unlikely to get a game in front of Leeming and O’Neil so presumably he’s gone somewhere he thinks he will get a game. Wise move at 31.

Wigan have moved on an average player, improved the no 9 position with O’Neil and Leeming and Powell is off the salary cap. Hopefully our other young hooker who’s name escapes me who is supposed to be very good now doesn’t see three senior players in front of him and may well start to get games if either of the other two are injured.
If its forber your on about dave, i cant wait to see him myself
You may have to wait some time given the length of O’Neills and Leeming’s contracts. If you see him at all.
Charriots Offiah

DaveO wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:00 pm
josie andrews wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:12 pm Well I’m personally gutted! Along with the other players, Cust & Thornley who have left the club.

The fans who have appreciated their contribution to Wigan warriors have not had the chance to thank them for being Warriors, to say goodbye & wish them Good Luck.

There is no room for sentiment in pro sport Josie. Of the three you mention only Cust could come back to haunt us if he regains fitness. I am sure all three are top blokes but the other two won’t.be missed on the field.

As to no opportunity to thank them I think with Powell he had the option to stay but decided to leave after the season had ended. Cust was bound to leave give the quota and Thornley like Cust wasn’t playing and hardly played all season so i am not sure how the club could have organised it for any of them.
I’ve never been convinced about Cust, he lacks the pace and skills of a stand-off.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:00 pm

The end of season dinner would have been ideal IMO for supporters who attended to thank them & wish them good luck.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:34 am

I think it was right for Sam to move on however, I am not convinced that our hooking options have improved, I hope Leeming proves me wrong. I would have been far happier had we promoted Forber. The plus side is that it frees up some salary cap.
You cannot have two kids playing 9 for the first team, one of which hasn’t even made his debut.

I’m absolutely fine with the Leeming signing and see it as an upgrade at 9 overall.

The only concern is the 4 year deal and it potentially blocking the pathway for Forber. That’s the only bit I don’t truly understand.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:49 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:34 am

You cannot have two kids playing 9 for the first team, one of which hasn’t even made his debut.

I’m absolutely fine with the Leeming signing and see it as an upgrade at 9 overall.

The only concern is the 4 year deal and it potentially blocking the pathway for Forber. That’s the only bit I don’t truly understand.
Maybe possible Transfer fee after a couple of seasons.?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:36 pm Was it the last game he came over at the end of the game on his own to me it told its own story.

Solid player better than many on here will ever admit to but no world beater either.

Good luck to the lad I suspect if he fancies coaching he may well be back at some point
Wash you mouth out with soap.

He was so poor that no other SL side would take him.

But now one has the narrative is no big loss and he won't add anything to wire.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.