Cap and marquees

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
MrAlex

Cap and marquees

Post by MrAlex »

I'm probably being a bit simple here, but with all of the movements in and out, do we have a marquee slot free. And do the transfer fees give us room to move still within the cap?
Firestarter

Re: Cap and marquees

Post by Firestarter »

MrAlex wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:56 am I'm probably being a bit simple here, but with all of the movements in and out, do we have a marquee slot free. And do the transfer fees give us room to move still within the cap?
I was thinking the same but im sure we need a utility back atm.In a perfect world it would be king in as keighran can play half apparently
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I think that Sam Powell moving on will have released money within the salary cap. Regarding marquee allowances, the club can use it for any player within the squad so, for example, if a club trained player's salary was £140k Wigan could choose to apply the marquee rule and therefore only £50k would count against the cap. I hope this helps?
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:13 pm I think that Sam Powell moving on will have released money within the salary cap. Regarding marquee allowances, the club can use it for any player within the squad so, for example, if a club trained player's salary was £140k Wigan could choose to apply the marquee rule and therefore only £50k would count against the cap. I hope this helps?
i dont think we need to get hung up on who is or isnt a marquee player as it wont necessarily be the highest 3 salaries within the club. we need to use the rules to get the best out of the marquee and maximise our cap

i trust the club to use the rules to the maximum extent i.e. we can now have 3 marquee players, and even if we didnt pay out massive salaries i.e. over £200k, we would still benefit from having marquee and therefore additional cap available to the rest of the squad

i posted an example a few months ago explaining why Farrell could have been marquee instead of French / Field based on him being club trained, and the cost to the cap v overall costs. This has now changed as we only had 2 marquee slots at that time

From a club perspective, you would expect player A (club trained) highest salary to be named the marquee player as only £50k would count towards the cap, Player B (federation trained) highest salary to be named marquee as £100k and finally Player C (non Federation trained) highest salary to be named as £150k

so for example we could have Farrell (£150k), Thompson (£200k) and French (£200k) as our marquee players, thus saving £250k on the cap *** Please note this is for illustration only - i have no idea what any player earns *** Equally that could be Farrell (£500k), Thompson (£500k) and French(£500k) as the cap hit would still be exactly the same
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I thought that if Owen Farrell signed he would come under another exemption from the SC namely "From Another Sport" so their salary in the first year is 100% exempt. Which seems to make 4 exemptions.

Agree with the Non Fed Trained, Fed Trained and Club Trained. With French, Thompson and Liam Farrell being the likely candidates.

There again, whether Owen Farrell signs who knows. I hope he does sign but I simply don't know!
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:02 am I thought that if Owen Farrell signed he would come under another exemption from the SC namely "From Another Sport" so their salary in the first year is 100% exempt. Which seems to make 4 exemptions.

Agree with the Non Fed Trained, Fed Trained and Club Trained. With French, Thompson and Liam Farrell being the likely candidates.

There again, whether Owen Farrell signs who knows. I hope he does sign but I simply don't know!
Thats correct re Owen Farrell or any other RU player. There are 2 years where their salary doesnt count in full on the cap under the below exemption

New Talent Pool Dispensation – Any Player who has not previously played Rugby League is given a value of £0 in the first year of his contract and at 50% of his true value in the second year;