Sam Powell Has Left The Club

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mass

Re: Sam Powell Has Left The Club

Post by Mass »

I agree Sam was no world beater but in my opinion and more importantly 3 different coaches opinions did a job for the team.

Matty Peet is taking the club in a different direction and Sam's skills may not fit into his plan.

Been a great servant to the club and wish him good luck for the future. He'll certainly need it at Warrington
jobo

Post by jobo »

Good luck to him.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:49 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:34 am
DaveO wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:29 pm Win win situation all round. He said himself he was unlikely to get a game in front of Leeming and O’Neil so presumably he’s gone somewhere he thinks he will get a game. Wise move at 31.

Wigan have moved on an average player, improved the no 9 position with O’Neil and Leeming and Powell is off the salary cap. Hopefully our other young hooker who’s name escapes me who is supposed to be very good now doesn’t see three senior players in front of him and may well start to get games if either of the other two are injured.
I think it was right for Sam to move on however, I am not convinced that our hooking options have improved, I hope Leeming proves me wrong. I would have been far happier had we promoted Forber. The plus side is that it frees up some salary cap.
You cannot have two kids playing 9 for the first team, one of which hasn’t even made his debut.

I’m absolutely fine with the Leeming signing and see it as an upgrade at 9 overall.

The only concern is the 4 year deal and it potentially blocking the pathway for Forber. That’s the only bit I don’t truly understand.
That’s what I don’t agree with either!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:49 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:34 am
DaveO wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:29 pm Win win situation all round. He said himself he was unlikely to get a game in front of Leeming and O’Neil so presumably he’s gone somewhere he thinks he will get a game. Wise move at 31.

Wigan have moved on an average player, improved the no 9 position with O’Neil and Leeming and Powell is off the salary cap. Hopefully our other young hooker who’s name escapes me who is supposed to be very good now doesn’t see three senior players in front of him and may well start to get games if either of the other two are injured.
I think it was right for Sam to move on however, I am not convinced that our hooking options have improved, I hope Leeming proves me wrong. I would have been far happier had we promoted Forber. The plus side is that it frees up some salary cap.
You cannot have two kids playing 9 for the first team, one of which hasn’t even made his debut.

I’m absolutely fine with the Leeming signing and see it as an upgrade at 9 overall.

The only concern is the 4 year deal and it potentially blocking the pathway for Forber. That’s the only bit I don’t truly understand.
Of course you can, if they are good enough then age should not be an issue.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Interesting signing by Warrington. Personally, I don't see the comparison with Daryl Clark. Presumably it's his work ethic and all-round nice guy style which is an attraction....which makes sense.

As for 2024 in Cherry and White, simply not required, well down the pecking order. Very wise to part company!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:43 pm Interesting signing by Warrington. Personally, I don't see the comparison with Daryl Clark. Presumably it's his work ethic and all-round nice guy style which is an attraction....which makes sense.

As for 2024 in Cherry and White, simply not required, well down the pecking order. Very wise to part company!
For me I think it’s a couple of things:

1 - Experience
2 - Attitude, Culture, Work ethic st tracings etc
3 - burgess may want a defensively sound hooker
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
boggart

Post by boggart »

So who's going to be next for the know nowt, class free, so called 'fans' now that Sam's gone? I always thought this sort of thing is what showed Wigan fans at their best........not.
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Good luck to Sam gave 100% Everytime he pulled on the shirt. I would hope he wins a trophy but he's at at Wire :shock:
With Smithies going and without knowing if the squad is finalized do Wigan see O'Neil getting a go at the 13 role at points? Obviously this then opens the pathway for Forber when needed. Leeming who's got more of a running game will also bring a different dynamic to our play and experience of that to both our young nines.
I also agree if your good enough your old enough and therefore if you are that good you will force your way into the team. I don't see long lines of young lads who if good enough have not made it.
I will trust the coaches on these calls as with all three trophies won in the first two years they have exceeded what I was expecting.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
doc

Post by doc »

Wire have an attitude problem just as Catalan had. Mcnamara solved the problem by signing players with the right attitude (mainly from us). I suspect Burgess is trying to sign players to set the right culture in place at Wire. Will be interesting to see who else they sign and who they move on. Its interesting that Cooper and King did well for us and Hill is looking better at Huddersfield.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:55 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:43 pm Interesting signing by Warrington. Personally, I don't see the comparison with Daryl Clark. Presumably it's his work ethic and all-round nice guy style which is an attraction....which makes sense.

For me I think it’s a couple of things:

1 - Experience
2 - Attitude, Culture, Work ethic st tracings etc
3 - burgess may want a defensively sound hooker
But definitely can't be because sam Burgess thinks he's a good hooker. Because we all *know* that he's not right?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐